What's new

Scored my first str8t, where to send to get shave ready?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Where should I send my vintage boker straight to get shave ready, or should i just learn to do it myself?

Legion

Staff member
If it is your first razor get it done by a pro. Then, when you do want to do one yourself, you will have something to compare against.

Having had razors honed by both Larry and Jose, both put a very nice edge on a razor. You wouldn't go wrong with either.

very cool! any pics?

i am waiting to receive my first straight razor off the 'Bay, so i am glad you asked this question.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have yet to receive it. Probably a week out, I will post pics when it arrives.

Since this is your first I would be happy assist you however I may if your wishing to do some of the work yourself. I can put the final shine and hone it for you if you like. And you only responsible for shipping. Pm me after you receive it with some pics and we'll go from there if you would like my assistance.

Please have your Boker hone by a pro, don't learn on it. If you wish to learn honing, go buy a couple of ebay blades for cheap and practice on them. if you ruin them, you haven't lost much.

When I started, I had a pro hone a couple to shave with. I then had a standard for sharpness and shave-worthiness (A word? Anyway, you know what I am trying to say) to go by when honing. It took a few attempts, but my first ebay purchases eventually ended up being quite serviceable shavers in the end.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Should I attempt to clean and polish the blade before sending it off to be professionally honed? The blade has a logo etched on it, but not gold. Is there a risk of destroying the logo if using a felt or cloth wheel?

I would rub lightly by hand on the etched area but its hard to say exactly without seeing the blade and etching. If you polish it before you have it honed there is less chance you will do something that might cause dulling of your fragile and fresh edge.

Should I attempt to clean and polish the blade before sending it off to be professionally honed? The blade has a logo etched on it, but not gold. Is there a risk of destroying the logo if using a felt or cloth wheel?

I say fill your boots, clean it up sure. If you're using abrasives on those wheels there is absolutely a risk of destroying etching if it's not deep.

Legion

Staff member
That looks like a nice razor.

Using any power tool on a blade is fraught with risk. Personally, unless you have experience with these things, I would not do more than hand buffing the blade with a metal polish.

Top Bottom