What's new

Score at the Junk Store

Ya know, I should have moved this to the "score" area. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Ok, here it is guys:

THE SHAVE

I must say, I am impressed. I read a comment somewhere on here where someone said that the single-edge razors don't have the drama of the DE's, because they just work. And that's what this razor did, it worked great!

As long as I kept it more or less flat on my face and listened for the cacophony of whiskers meeting their makers, it really was a no-brainer BBS shave. I have the tiniest bit of irritation under my chin, but I'm positive that was user-error, and it wasn't anything a little alum and WH didn't take care of.

Really good stuff, I may throw it in the rotation. I still love my Merkur though :tongue_sm.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and for walking me through my single-blade phobia. You are gentlemen and scholars (and well-shaved ones at that).

-Tom

It's a safety razor, isn't it? And you wanted and got way more info on your purchase in this forum then you would have in the Scores section.

Regarding the location that you purchased this from, I find junkier looking places to be better hunting spots then venues with aisles of glass enclosed locked cabinets.

Good score! :thumbup1:

-jim

-jim

It's a safety razor, isn't it? And you wanted and got way more info on your purchase in this forum then you would have in the Scores section.

Regarding the location that you purchased this from, I find junkier looking places to be better hunting spots then venues with aisles of glass enclosed locked cabinets.

Good score! :thumbup1:

-jim

You are correct sir. I really like this store, it's got really typical Baltimore quirk... you'll see some really awesome antiques next to a Chinese-made vase from Target, half the time the vase costs more, it's really nutty. They were asking $8.00 for one of those little clear-glass decanters that hotels use for room-service coffee! They've been there for awhile, they must know what sells. They also had a few straights, maybe I'll do some homework and see if they're worth the effort of a buy and trade for something I would rather have.

-Tom

Last edited:
Now see, I was checking these patents out on another website, and they said that they are from 1929(!)

Can someone help me get a ballpark idea how old this puppy is?!?!

Razor blades and utility blades USED to be one and the same, but it's no longer necessary to manufacture them to the same high tolerances when all the user is going to do is scrape paint with the blade.

Ok, I have been very carefully going through a lot of ads, business reports, and articles (because of the aforementioned "dork" thing), and I have figured out one thing:

My chrome GEM clog-pruf was made between 1940 and 1946.

I've unearthed a ton of GEM stuff, but I really need to go through it and work out a detailed timeline... results forthcoming.

Ok, I have been very carefully going through a lot of ads, business reports, and articles (because of the aforementioned "dork" thing), and I have figured out one thing:

My chrome GEM clog-pruf was made between 1940 and 1946.

I've unearthed a ton of GEM stuff, but I really need to go through it and work out a detailed timeline... results forthcoming.

Already been done several times by several people.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Micromatic

Already been done several times by several people.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Micromatic

Thanks! I've seen several attempts at a definitive timeline from several sources.

I actually sent an email to American Safety Razor a few weeks ago, and they hooked me up with someone that has been there forever. He gave me some general info, and also snapped a bunch of pics of what I believe is a company history display that have in their mothership location.

The pics are big, I'm planning on posting them, but I'm going to need to do some cropping and compression to get them to a point where they can be on here and still be quality pics.

Maybe I'll make a gallery of the pics, and point the interested amongst you to it.

-Tom

Upload that stuff to the Wiki!

I'm going to go look, right now I'm just being lazy, but:

- Are there limits to picture size in the wiki?

- I don't want to get spanked by Ouch!, have I been here long enough to mess with the Wiki yet?

I'm coming into this thread late, but you can always PM anyone on the wiki team if you have questions or need a hand with the wiki (look for the green badges). As far as I know any member can edit the wiki (some pages are locked, though).

You might get started by creating a page for yourself at http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:shrubble - but I guess the suggestion was to upload these pictures to the http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Micromatic page? There is a soft limit of 150-kB per image. You can override that if you feel strongly about it, but 150-kB is enough to support a pretty good image. If you want to go larger than that, it might be better to link to photobucket or flickr.

Hope that helps - feel free to PM me or anyone else on the wiki team if you need a hand.

Thank you! If I have a chance to do it here at work I'll do some a croppin' and a resizin'.

Then I'll get to postin'.

I believe he sent me about a dozen(!) pics.

Top Bottom