What's new

How the journey began

Some time ago a friend of mine started encouraging me to start wet shaving and using a DE razor instead of the canned goo and multi-blade disposables that I had always used since my teenage years. At first I told him he was crazy and it was the silliest thing I had ever heard. He however didn't relent from his gospel of the double edge shave and started a long tirade into how men have been tricked for years by slick marketing gimmicks and razor quackery just so the razor companies could make a buck. He said the double edge razors would actually shave you better than the new fangled multi-blade monstrosities.

Thoughts of me cutting my neck open with one of these antique torture devices immediately ensued. Surely new razors “had” to be better in every way than their geriatric counterparts. Don’t decades of competition and continuous improvements in technology make new products better than the old ones? I decided to secretly investigate this mystery on my own: relishing the idea of proving him wrong and tossing this nonsense idea out like yesterdays coffee grounds.

He had purchased shaving equipment (merkur razor & blades, AOS shaving cream, and a pure badger brush) new from Amazon. I didn't want to drop very much money into this venture; after all, my main goal was not to get a good shave. I just wanted to prove my friend wrong and call him a retard. So I started looking for an old flea market/antique store razor.
My wife and I were on a weekend trip and we decided to hit a few antique stores while we were there. While milling around in one shop I happened across an old DE razor that I later learned was a Shick Krona.

I had vague memories as a child of my grandfather’s bathroom and his razors. He had some straight razors, assorted strops, brushes, and some kind of razor that when you turned the bottom of the handle the head would open up with this strange but amazing clockwork mechanism. I was mesmerized by it as a child and every time I was in the bathroom “without supervision” I would play with it. But now as an adult I just could not fathom the thought of that ancient chrome plated face whacker actually doing a good job of beard slicing.

We picked up some Wilkinson Sword blades from Wally Mart (we were both shocked that they actually had some DE blades and how cheap they were!). The twist to open mechanism of the old razor worked perfectly as I turned the knob at the bottom of the handle. And with just a bit of trepidation, I dropped a blade into its tiny maw certain that soon, wounded and disfigured I would be wiping up blood from the attack.
So with a total investment of under $15.00 my initiation into the cult of the double edge started. I nervously placed a 40 year old razor to my face and with hesitation started shaving.

What happened next?
I shaved, plain and simple.
No blood. No pulling, tugging, or hacking.

I was shocked… It shaved! It shaved smoothly! The little old razor instantly felt at home and comfortable against my face. After a few passes I felt confident and assured using the flea market orphan and declared that it had a new home with me! The next day I used it and again it performed flawlessly!

Staring at myself in the mirror I realized the old razor has put me in a very uncomfortable position. I was going to have to tell my friend he was right…

After a few weeks passed I finally called my friend, sheepishly I told him that I had joined his odd antique beard cutting religion.

Now let’s skip to the present. I have an entirely new problem now. I think it’s called Razor Acquisition Disorder “RAD”. And it seems to be leaning towards the single edge razors now!
My current collection:
Shick Krona
1966 Gillette slim adjustable
Ever Ready shovel head
Ever Ready 1914
Ever Ready 1908? Lather catcher
Gem Bullet tip Micromatic
Ever Ready shaving brush with a TGN knot

And I am looking at getting more! When will it stop!

Welcome to the club. Your story sounds familiar to me, used cartridges for many years. Yesterday I have had my first shave with a DE, like you I have no nicks, razor burns or cuts on my face. It's great you can get a great shave for a cheap price.

Welcome! And remember it's only a problem if:

A. Your better half catches on to the depleting pocket book, or
B. you lose your house. :blink:

So long as you mitigate against those two key problems, begin all the AD's you want! Plus, Arkansas is beautiful, you can always grab a tent, a portable mirror, your shave den, a cheap fly rod and head on over to the White if you lose your better half and house...You'll have shelter, food (trout), and your den...what else really is there in life?

P.S. Hoping my wife never reads this post...

Welcome to the forum and there is no stopping the ADs! As the Borg would say, "resistance is futile". Just enjoy the transition!

I too like the odd antique beard cutting religion, but the collection basket seems to come around an awful lot.

Great tale, and it's big of you to admit overcoming your own initial doubt. I sincerely believe that old school shaving - maybe we should start calling it "slow shaving" - has benefits beyond the sink, and you've proved it. Nicely done.

Yeah, it seems like I just bought everything I need...and now that I have everything I've somehow found more stuff I need...

Top Bottom