What's new

Scones

As I've been trying to better control my calorie intake, I've been eating a scone and yogurt for lunch at work these last few weeks. It's worked well for me and I've dropped a couple of pounds, but I've been purchasing both at the coffee shop nearby. Shopping this weekend, I figured this is stupid, so I purchased 5 of the same yogurts for half the price. Tonight, as I was getting ready for tomorrow, I pulled out the King Arthur Flour cookbook, read the recipe and said, this is stupid. For $2 worth of ingredients, I can make lunch for a work week. So here, 40 mins later, are my raisin oat scones, built from the basic KAF scone recipe.

$IMG_0485.jpg

Nice work Bob! I can tell by the layered effect visible on the cut sides that you did not work the dough too much. A cardinal sin in scone making. Really, any short crust type dough. There are few things on earth better than a good scone. Five simple ingredients. Flour, fat, milk, salt, leavening agent. Done. If made correctly they are sublime. Well done.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My late mother liked scones with coffee. She was from a very small Texan town that did not have scones. When she came to visit me she made sure to buy some. I miss her terribly.

One of my favorite memories of my trip to the UK(about 3 years ago) was sitting in a small restaurant in a picturesque town in the Cotswold's. Having a fruit scone with clotted cream and a cup of strong black tea. Haven't had a scone since...this picture reminded me of that and they look great. Enjoy!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Rainy/snowy weekend staple with butter and jam or jelly. Best within hours of coming out of the oven. My wife however will eat them days later.

Top Bottom