What's new

Schick Type I and J injectors for dummies

I have a black short handle J with an early 70's logo with Schick underlined and in not capital letters. A sixth variant or just something Schick cobbled together with leftover parts?

Possibility is it is a Type L but one of those free razor when you purchase a pack blades ones they would periodically do all throughout the 70s with different style handles like the Schick Stick for example. The underlined Schick logo puts your razor somewhere between 1972 and 1982 well after the Schick brand was sold to Warner Lambert.

That is a Type L razor for sure made between 1972 and 1982 with a J style handle on it. My guess without the packaging to confirm is that it was some sort of promotional razor given away with a purchase of a pack of blades. The only way I would call it a Type J is if you could confirm it was made 1970 or earlier by Eversharp. What I know about these razors is the that style logo was never used while Eversharp owned the brand.

As an fyi the Type L not including the special one off razors like the Schick Stick or Easy Rider for example can be broken down into 2 distinct date ranges and styles of shaves.

You have the ones made between 1967 and 1972 then you have the ones made between 1972 and 1982.
Here is how to tell the difference between the 2.
l167-82.jpg

The style of logo is how to tell, the one on the left was made between 1967 - 1972 and the one on the right is 1972 - 1982ish.

Intriguing research. Thanks for the information! No chance of seeing the package. I snagged it by itself.

BTW those later Type L razors are really good shavers. The earlier ones are eh but when they changed the razor heads in 1972 they became much better shavers though more mild they are much more efficient also.

And all bets are off on the non hydromatics if you use a twin blade

Depends the variant. The 2nd variant razors work well with a twin blade, the other later variants not so much. They work but since they are already mild the twin blade doesn't improve the shave as much.

You can also use a twin blade in a hydro-magic razor, the lever just won't allow the razor guard to open up. It is not worth doing unless you want to try it for yourself since it doesn't improve the shave with these razors.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your work on this. This information clears up a lot of questions I've had about the I and J injectors, particularly in regards to the significant differences in shave among the different variants. It is somewhat puzzling to me that Schick/Eversharp seemed to be all over the map with changes in head geometry, and thus shaving character, with the I and J razors. It was not, as is the oft stated conventional wisdom, simply a matter of razors getting progressively milder. As you have pointed out, the 2nd variant I and J razors are among the most aggressive injectors, more so IMO than the Gs. Then, the pendulum swung back (too far, IMO) to the much more mild, and not very effective 4th and 5th variants. I think Schick finally got back on track with the second variant of the Type L, but in the meantime they went for a long stretch selling razors that weren't very good, or at least ones that were very different than what guys had come to expect from a Schick injector.

Once again, great information, thanks for posting and sharing your expertise.

That is a nice perspective. It also explains why my favorite (and now only) injectors are the E2, G, 2 second Variant J and I and the second variant type L :)

Something else I forgot to add. The blade exposure changed on the razors for the 5th and final variants from the 1st four variants as seen here.
IJa.jpgIJb.jpg

left to right for both pictures
V2
V3
V4 Type I
V4 Type J

Update. New style razor I figured existed but never seen or owned one until now. This one should be grouped with the 1st variants as a 4th style. Also style 3 in the first variants came in both Ebony and Ivory colored handles.

1st variants. I and longer J style handle, short hydro-magic lever without any writing on it.

Style 4 - Ebony (black) and Ivory (white) colored longer Type J style handle, razor head stamped Eversharp Schick. Produced 1958.
J4v2c.jpgJ4v2b.jpg

I've got this coming my way by the end of the week. Having zero prior experience with injectors should make this fun, or frustrating, LOL. I have ordered one 20-blade (plastic) dispenser of Personnas from Connaught, and will probably add a 7-blade dispenser of Schick to my next Amazon order.

1.jpg
2.jpg

That's a nice one! These are light razors and therefore require a light touch.
Yep, after several years of using strictly heavy SS DE razors, it was a bit of initial shock recently when I started using a Blackland Vector, which obviously is very light in comparison (not to mention the fact I am using it w/ an even lighter-than-stock titanium handle). That might wind up being good practice/transition for using this even lighter Schick injector.

I've got this coming my way by the end of the week. Having zero prior experience with injectors should make this fun, or frustrating, LOL. I have ordered one 20-blade (plastic) dispenser of Personnas from Connaught, and will probably add a 7-blade dispenser of Schick to my next Amazon order.

View attachment 1072522 View attachment 1072523

This thing is beautiful and started me on the hunt. I’ll have one sooner or later. If one of you guys have one you want to let go of let me know.

Thanks to the OP for the thread; was just coming in here to start a thread for some questions I had, this answered them all.

Much appreciated @BBS-1

So can anyone recommend a good first injector razor for someone who prefers DEs on the aggressive side? Type L? M? G? I? J? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom