What's new

Schick Type I and J injectors for dummies

Yes, Type E. This is an E2.
20200328_102343.jpg

So can anyone recommend a good first injector razor for someone who prefers DEs on the aggressive side? Type L? M? G? I? J? Thanks in advance.
Any of the 2nd I or J variants. Those razors are beard busters and more aggressive than any Type E except for maybe the one I call a 3rd variant using the dummies designation. Type E razors using the E2 designation can get confusing since there are 4 seperate razors that are called E2 razor and all shave different from each other. Even then these particular I and J razors are still much more efficient than that razor.

If you have to buy a Type E any of the fixed spring variants are better shavers than any of the movable spring variants with the 6th or commonly known as an E3 being the best.

Any of the 2nd I or J variants. Those razors are beard busters and more aggressive than any Type E except for maybe the one I call a 3rd variant using the dummies designation. Type E razors using the E2 designation can get confusing since there are 4 seperate razors that are called E2 razor and all shave different from each other. Even then these particular I and J razors are still much more efficient than that razor.

If you have to buy a Type E any of the fixed spring variants are better shavers than any of the movable spring variants with the 6th or commonly known as an E3 being the best.
Thanks for helping me focus my Injector search.

I shaved with my G8 today at 2:30 pm before work. Just a 2-pass and touch up on the jawline. Still going strong... smooth and stubble free 8 hrs later. That razor shaves like a dream.

Also scored another hydro-magic I type, 2nd variant, style 1 that has the longer lever. I haven't even had a chance to try that one yet but I don't see how things can get any better.

So I picked up this old beauty without first doing my research. How does one clean the interiors if they don’t open?

proxy.php

I read another post in the forum that claimed this stuff works a treat on old grudgy Gillette razors.
ebc4c918-806b-448a-8b03-7ab8ddfdb1b7_1.54f2b339ee934b982d9fedde5b8f08ea.png

So I used that and one of those tiny, nylon bristled teeth floss things to clean out my g8 and hydro-magic. I think a longer nylon bristled pipe cleaner would work better but I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better method but the stove top cleaner seemed to loosen up that rusty looking grudge where I could remove it fairly easily. It didn't damage the finish but... try it at your on risk. I don't wish to be responsible for any damage to your fine looking razor.

Last edited:
So I picked up this old beauty without first doing my research. How does one clean the interiors if they don’t open?

I have been trying out my basic ultrasonic cleaner on my Schicks. Based on results so far, I would not get one just for that purpose. On the other hand, I have lived with my Schicks for a long time without a problem.

I clean with a toothbrush and Dawn, then disinfect with Salon Care when I get a used one. The parts that touch my face are kept clean and see a lot of soap and hot water. I do tend to favor my I2 Hydro-magic, my opening E, and my NOS 66.

For me, one of the major benefits of Injector razors is the ease of cleaning without having to take the razor apart.

All that is needed is normal rinsing during shaving and rinsing upon finish. I find that there is no soap or gunk build up with normal use.

With DE razors, one of the things that slows me down is having to take my DEs apart, wipe them down (inside and out) and wipe down the blade and wrap it back up. Even then, the blade life of DEs is pathetic compared to injector blades, which are maintenance free.

Even my GEMs require more cleaning than injectors (but not as much as DEs). The design just appears to collect lather under its hood and under the blade, probably because of the greater surface area and shaving angle as compared to Injectors. I was shaving with my Clog Pruf the other day, and the thought crossed my mind that it was not even close to being as clog proof as my Injectors, which are more self cleaning.

As mentioned by someone else already, any gunk that could build up over time is ejected with the old blade.

If, for some strange reason, the razor does need cleaned, there is nothing better, while still being gentle, than soaking the razor in hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap. A couple of soaks and a rinse and all the gunk will be gone… along with any bad bugs. If it’s good enough for what we eat off of, it should be good enough for our razors. 🙂

Top Bottom