What's new

Schick Type G injectors for dummies

Yeah the G8 is no question milder when you compare it against the earlier the Type G razors. The only reason I even found out that the G1's which span the 1st through 3rd variants were different is I happened to buy one with old spring logos vs the new one since they were cheap with the idea if they were the same or if I didn't like them I'd PIF off one or both of them. Frankly I was suprised they were different and then I found the third variants were a distinct date range through the newspaper ads. The shapes of the ferrules is distinctly different once you reach 1953 so I bought one to try.

One other thing I will add the Type G razors are great entry level razors for anyone looking to try injectors regardless if they like mild or aggressive. There are still plenty of them on the market and it is by and large a buyer's market still for G1 razors. They are about as mid level of a razor as you can find out there regardless of variant so you'll know almost right away if you want to continue using injectors and makes it easy to know which way to trade up if it is too mild or aggressive.
Great perspective; thanks again for all the thought that has gone into your re-do of the Schick injector classification. I'm now much better informed regarding the differences (and changes over time) within types. My big takeaway from your work is that it refutes the conventional wisdom that Schick injectors got continuously milder over the years and through the succession of types. That obviously isn't the case and it explains why I've experienced such different shaves from razors I thought were the same because they were the same Appleby type.

It is puzzling to me that Schick seems to have see-sawed so much on shave geometry over the years. The G to I/J transition is case in point: the last G, the G8, is quite mild, but then the first Type Is and Js came out as aggressive as any injectors; only to swing back in the 4th and 5th variants to being very mild. Not sure who was in charge of design or decision making at Schick, but it seems like these inconsistencies in their product line would have created a lot of confusion back in the day for those who were Schick loyalists.

Great thread! Used my Eversharp-Schick gold/navy injector today. :)

1:31starry.jpg

I just purchased some injector blades to use in my Schick which I hadn’t used for years. The razor was just sitting in a box in my closet ....I have several and loaded one into my G type and the other into the 70s Stick Schick. Was able to identify the G type after seeing this thread. I hope my next shave with it goes well!
Razorhead

I recently bought a NOS type G injector. Came with a box, original copper blade and everything, just perfect. Used it this morning, and it's an amazing shaver, very smooth. Definitely less aggressive than my type E(2). They might look the same if you don't pay much attention, but they definitely aren't. This one is super easy to shave with, I'd recommend type G to anyone who wants to get into Schick Injector shaving; it's relatively easy to find razors that are practically unused.

I just can’t get enough of this amazing Injector - the G8 - maybe the most comfortable from this era of design I have experienced. Mild but efficient for my face type (light beard - can only shave one pass with touch ups if I want to shave daily).

What slight changes in design from the G1 to the G8 makes the difference I wonder?

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I honestly haven't noticed any difference in the shave myself.

That’s true I’m not sure if there is a design difference - I’ve heard with Schick there can be variations of mild and aggressive within a certain series - seems mysterious!

I've got a couple variant 3s, one has a lot of blade chatter to it. Is there a "proper" way to tighten the spring so the blade us clamped more securely?

My 1953 G is more user-friendly than my other Schicks, the E2, J1 or L. It can be flung around the face w less care than the more aggressive E2 requires, but is more efficient than the J and glides better than the L. The chrome plated head of the L was a step backward. It doesn’t glide as smoothly as the brass head in my lather.

My 1953 G is more user-friendly than my other Schicks, the E2, J1 or L. It can be flung around the face w less care than the more aggressive E2 requires, but is more efficient than the J and glides better than the L. The chrome plated head of the L was a step backward. It doesn’t glide as smoothly as the brass head in my lather.

I agree I definitely prefer the G8 (1953) over the L type (great as it is) because the glide of the brass is so much better.

I've got a couple variant 3s, one has a lot of blade chatter to it. Is there a "proper" way to tighten the spring so the blade us clamped more securely?

I’m can’t remember how I fixed a loose spring I had some years ago on one of my G’s - it may never regain the tightness it once had but there must be a way.

Top Bottom