What's new

Schick Type G injectors for dummies

The aim of this thread is to categorize the Type G razors in a way that is easier understood for the average collector so as such I will not being using Appleby's designations other than the Type G label to describe them at all. They will be presented in chronological order with the variations that differentiate each from the other. This breakdown only covers US made Type G injectors. There were 2 unique Canadian made versions with black handles that won't be covered here.

Type G razors come in 5 distinct variants. Some variants came with various different handle styles but are the same razor just different handle regardless of the set. Regardless of variant what makes a Schick injector a Type G is that they were the first razors produced by Eversharp after they took over the Schick brand from Magazine Repeater Company in 1946. The distinguishing feature of all Type G razors is they feature 2 patent numbers on the razor handle 1806087 and 1969945.

The first variant was produced in 1946/1947. It is distinguished by the fact it has a squared ferrule and the spring says Schick Injector on it. The razor was only produced in an ivory / cream colored handle style.
G1a1.jpg

The second variant was produced in a special Christmas set for 1946 and 1947. It is distinguished by the fact the ferrule is rounded, the handle is the only one made of metal and the razor was completely plated in 14k gold.
g2.jpg

The third variant was produced between 1947/48 and 1952. It is distinguished by the fact the ferrule is squared and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. This razor came in various handle styles.
Style 1 - ivory / cream colored handle
g1b.jpg

Style 2 - gold plated handle produced only in a special Christmas set in 1948 and 1949
g3.jpg

Style 3 - Chrome head and navy blue handle. Only sold in a set called the Schick 66 between 1948 - 1951
g4.jpg

Style 4 - gold head and navy blue handle.
g4a.jpg

Style 5 - turquoise colored handle
g5.jpg

Style 6 - amber colored handle
g6.jpg

The 4th variant was produced in 1953 and 1954. It is distinguished by the fact it has a circular ferrule and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. The razor was only produced in an ivory / cream colored handle style.
g1c1.jpg

The 5th and final variant was produced between 1954 - 1957. It is distinguished by the fact it has a circular ferrule and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. The handle style changes to a ribbed design and was only produced in an ivory / cream color.
G8a.jpg

That is very good information to know, but....What's a ferrule?

G1a1a.jpg

Thanks. :) I think it was confusing because the ones in the last couple photos didn't look as circular as described to me.

Maybe better way to describe is circular like since some will be more circular than others. The squared ones are square like if that makes sense. They are visually easy to spot on the razors and marketing literature. Easiest way to compare is take the last variant commonly called a G8 and compare the ferrule to it. If the ferrule looks like it or has a circular style then it is a 4th variant. If not then either a 3rd or 1st variant depending what is written on the spring.

Brother BBS-1,

I have a Type G in the turquoise colored handle.

What year was it made? I've also heard the claim the turquoise handle was designed for women.

What can you tell me about the turquoise Schick Type G injector?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very nice thread and information. I was glad somebody asked the f word question because I didn't know either.

You wouldn't want to do a similar body of work on the Type E injectors would you? The open to clean Type E-2 is my favorite safety razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Brother BBS-1,

I have a Type G in the turquoise colored handle.

What year was it made? I've also heard the claim the turquoise handle was designed for women.

What can you tell me about the turquoise Schick Type G injector?

Best I can narrow it down is to a date range as explained above. There are no distinct sets or literature I've found specifically calling out that razor.

Very nice thread and information. I was glad somebody asked the f word question because I didn't know either.

You wouldn't want to do a similar body of work on the Type E injectors would you? The open to clean Type E-2 is my favorite safety razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Already done.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Already done.

Wow. How did I miss that? Thank you, sir.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Can you offer your observations on the differences in shave (if any) among the Type G variants?

They go from mild to milder. The earliest Type G variant is the least mild and last most mild. Anything grouped together should be the same mildness for a particular variant. Any variant that is not commonly called G8 aka 5th variant should be similar enough that seeking one out over the other for a daily shaver is not necessary unless you are looking for a razor made within a certain date range, set or year.

The only ones I might have wrong are the gold handled razors but I have no intention of buying them just to find out. I am just not that much into Type G injectors. They are good razors just not one I prefer to use for various reasons. If someone was into these Type G injectors the other one to consider which is similar to these razors is the US made version of the Pal Injectomatic.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post. I knew that the G8/5th variant is milder than the other Gs, but I wasn't aware that the earlier Gs came in different variants, so I was curious. FWIW, the gold plated 3rd variant (Style 2) is in my experience identical, shave wise, to the other 3rd variant styles. I've never owned the 2nd variant gold razor, so I can't comment on that one. Thanks again for your helpful information.

Thanks for your post. I knew that the G8/5th variant is milder than the other Gs, but I wasn't aware that the earlier Gs came in different variants, so I was curious. FWIW, the gold plated 3rd variant (Style 2) is in my experience identical, shave wise, to the other 3rd variant styles. I've never owned the 2nd variant gold razor, so I can't comment on that one. Thanks again for your helpful information.

Yeah the G8 is no question milder when you compare it against the earlier the Type G razors. The only reason I even found out that the G1's which span the 1st through 3rd variants were different is I happened to buy one with old spring logos vs the new one since they were cheap with the idea if they were the same or if I didn't like them I'd PIF off one or both of them. Frankly I was suprised they were different and then I found the third variants were a distinct date range through the newspaper ads. The shapes of the ferrules is distinctly different once you reach 1953 so I bought one to try.

One other thing I will add the Type G razors are great entry level razors for anyone looking to try injectors regardless if they like mild or aggressive. There are still plenty of them on the market and it is by and large a buyer's market still for G1 razors. They are about as mid level of a razor as you can find out there regardless of variant so you'll know almost right away if you want to continue using injectors and makes it easy to know which way to trade up if it is too mild or aggressive.

Thanks for the write ups. I really dig the turquoise and translucent g types. I picked up a nos lady eversharp that was turned down by the lady I am going to try this year.

Top Bottom