What's new

Help, Schick Razor issues.

Hi all.
I want to be upfront with this. I'm far from a Newbie when it comes to the Schick Injectors. My collection consists of 26 razors. From the Original A model to the N model. At the beginning of last month I think it was, I thought I'd work my way through them all. Using up a blade completely in them all so I could say without a dought which Schick was my favorite.

I'm now trying out the G-4 or Third Variant Third Style depending on who is identifying the razors. Also, known as the "Schick 66". It's the Dark blue handled, Chrome Hammered head.

My shave was not good. I know I was shaving properly. Had great lather and a good blade. After cleaning it up I took a very close look and see the blade is not being held down well. It was showing a gap between the blade the top section that pinches the blade and the blade. I then got out a small set of Feeler Gauges and tested a good shaving G model without a blade, the First Variant Ivory handled. I removed the blade and the gap was measuring about .009" gap. Then measured a new blade with a micrometer and found it to be 0.105". Then measured the 66 and found the gap to be around 0.275". A lot more than the other razor and more than the thickness of a blade by 2X plus.

This would definitely be giving me a bad shave as the blade was not secured well.

My question now is does anyone else find such a thing with the 66 models they might have? The head does not look bent on mine. Does anyone know of a fix for this as it's not soft brass and I don't think it's going to bend very well.

What say you?

Here is a pic from both sides of the 66 close-ups showing the gap...

IMG_20230323_095056424.jpg
IMG_20230323_095119660.jpg

You hit it right on the nail, Dave.

I took a closer look and I could see that the split at the tip of the spring had one side bent down. Then got to looking more and the spring itself was not the right shape. It looks like someone had opened this one up before I got it. Probably did some cleaning, then put it back together, not knowing about how it works. I took the inner pate out after twisting the spring down. Cleaned it up and re-adjusted the parts after getting it all together. OOPS! I made it too tight. Had to back off the tension on the spring. Now it takes a blade and holds it tight.

I will have to give this one a try again to test it but I feel better now that it's tighter. I also found it's plated brass. According to what I had read it was chrome. But I guess that's just the plating. The hammered/Textured look is different. I like the textured finish. Here is another pic of it with a blade and showing the textured finish...
You can see plating missing in a few places.

IMG_20230323_165209732.jpg
IMG_20230323_165236571.jpg

You hit it right on the nail, Dave.

I took a closer look and I could see that the split at the tip of the spring had one side bent down. Then got to looking more and the spring itself was not the right shape. It looks like someone had opened this one up before I got it. Probably did some cleaning, then put it back together, not knowing about how it works. I took the inner pate out after twisting the spring down. Cleaned it up and re-adjusted the parts after getting it all together. OOPS! I made it too tight. Had to back off the tension on the spring. Now it takes a blade and holds it tight.

I will have to give this one a try again to test it but I feel better now that it's tighter. I also found it's plated brass. According to what I had read it was chrome. But I guess that's just the plating. The hammered/Textured look is different. I like the textured finish. Here is another pic of it with a blade and showing the textured finish...
You can see plating missing in a few places.

View attachment 1625795View attachment 1625796
I'm glad that worked out for you!

Dave

I have had 1 Schick razor in the past, that gave me bad shaves every time. Lot of weepers and not comfortable at all. The blade gap looked OK, just a bit larger than with my other Schicks. Finally it ended up in the bin, didn't try to fix it in any way. Mainly because my other Schick razors all performed flawlessly. I believe it was a type J or L, but not really sure anymore.

Top Bottom