What's new

Schick Injector: Or My Biggest Shaving Disappointment

Let me preface this by saying that I have been wet shaving with a DE for around two years now. Some shaves have been better than others, but never have I had two worse shaves than my last two with my Schick E injector. After playing around for a while with several DE's including a Fatboy I recently received from my grandfather, I decided to branch out. I started with a GEM 1912 which I absolutely love. I get perfectly smooth irritation free shaves with very little effort.

Fast forward to last week. I picked up an E type injector on Ebay for around $10. I started with an easy to find model that is fairly aggressive due to my thick, wiry, dark hair. It took me an extra week to get some Schick blades which I should have taken as a bad omen. When I finally got everything together, the razor wouldn't hold a blade. After fiddling around with it and some pliers, I was able to get it to hold blades with no damage done. However my first shave was pretty horrible. Even after changing a blade (didn't want to use the first injected into a new razor), it skipped and burned with some bloody spots, although the shave was very close. I chalked this up to the first time and tried again tonight. I paid close attention to my prep, and everything was good. Even worse results.

Everything about this shave was bad. I am still bleeding, even an hour later from large weepers. My neck is purple with burn, my entire face is on fire, even my sideburns which I can't get to burn with other razors if I try. And I just don't get it. I want to like injectors so badly.

I actually had to dispose of this razor, because I know I would have been tempted to try with it again. Hopefully once I am able to post in the classifieds here, I can try to find a reasonably priced more mild injector to try again. I know this razor has to have been a dud, all the people here can't be crazy.

Sorry for this long, angry rant. I am just so disappointed in this effort.

Last edited:
I'd look for a Hydro-Magic or a Type G. Both have given me great shaves. I do agree with Batman, (and I'm sorry to say) you got a dud. Don't give up on them, they are excellent shavers IMHO.

Part of the problem I had was angle. I know it's supposed to be intuitive, but shaving with the blade parallel to my face with the handle strait out isn't the easiest thing for me. Part of why I like the 1912 is that there is no possible way to screw up the angle. I liked the 1912 so much, I have a OCMM incoming, however I don't think I am going to be able to use it for a while since my face is going to need a bit of healing.

I do agree, I will have to try to find another in the future. The thing for me was everything on Ebay seems to be overpriced (even what I bought) and I haven't seen anything nice for sale here. If I could find a nice Type I Hydro-Matic even an adjustable for a reasonable price, I would snap it up in a second.

That could've been your problem. I have found that I need to use a small angle just like the Gems when using the Injector. Try not going parallel next time. It might make all the difference. If the first few strokes doesn't work, switch to the 1912 for the rest of the shave.

Umm, the fact that the razor wouldn't hold a blade & you had to modify it to do so is where the problem is. There is no doubt in my mind that the shape the razor was in after the modification may have held a blade but was not a true example of an injector shave. Find one in good shape that doesn't require any DIY improvements. You'll most likely be much happier.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Just a bit of patience may heal the wounds, but sometimes giving your tool a rest works also. My experience with the GEM's on first try (never had one as a kid) was similarly horrific, or so I wept. Went back after a couple months & now they work fine ..

The thing is even though I did have to play with it, I in no way modified any of the surfaces that actually hold the blade or that touch my skin. However right from the beginning, it seems this venture was doomed.

I will definitely have to return to an injector though. I have 5 injector blades left, so half half the battle is won. I just need to keep an eye open for a reasonably priced adjustable or I (if such things exist). Hopefully one will pop up for sale sometime that I can take advantage of. Thanks for the pep talk everyone, I appreciate it. As much as I love shaving, when things go badly my mood sours quickly. Especially when a new toy I have been waiting to use for two weeks turns out so badly!

I have never liked the shave from any razor when the blade is at very low angle. I have learned to use the guard bar on safety razors to allow for steeper angles. Even though you can adjust your angle a little with the Type E, I would suggest you purchase a Pal adjustable injector. With your beard type I think it would work very well. The Schick adjustable will also do, if you find the right setting.

Either way, your shave should not have resulted in such irritation. The razor is probably defective, or your technique needs adjustment. What type of injector blades are you using?

Probably should have started out with something a bit more tame.

I have two E2's one's made in USA the other Canada.The Canadian one is doesn't leave much room for error,it'll bite ya in a heartbeat if you're a little off.My American E2 is every bit as efficient,it's ruthless on whiskers...yet somehow much smoother and forgiving,darn near magical,so sweet I wouldn't sell it for 10 times what I paid for it.

Manufacturing differences,knocks and dings who knows ?

Hope you find an injector that clicks for you soon

Either way, your shave should not have resulted in such irritation. The razor is probably defective, or your technique needs adjustment. What type of injector blades are you using?

I'm hoping it was just the razor. I used a new package of Schick blades. I figured I could handle the aggressiveness of the razor based on countless posts of how easy injectors are to use. Plus the GEM 1912 kind of built up my confidence. I figured if I could get smooth, irritation free shaves with that on the first shot, I could deal with the simple injector.

There is a lesson in here somewhere. Buying from Ebay is a risk, buying from B&B members is much less of a risk. I think once I can post WTB classifieds, I will buying exclusively from other members of this forum.

Umm, the fact that the razor wouldn't hold a blade & you had to modify it to do so is where the problem is. There is no doubt in my mind that the shape the razor was in after the modification may have held a blade but was not a true example of an injector shave. Find one in good shape that doesn't require any DIY improvements. You'll most likely be much happier.
+1

They do come on bst here and on the shavenook from time to time, at very reasonable prices. Etsy also have a few.
I did not get along at all with the G model, the L was ok. Every person is different.

I had terrible results with the super aggressive "E" until I discovered I was shaving "too fast."

I now shave with very slow deliberate movements, using a light pressure of course, and I now get outstanding shaves from the Type E injector.

Try it again, and take it SLOW and easy. I tend to be a "slam banger" when I shave, and that was my problem.

You will find razors in better condition on the BST forum. Injector razors are showing up more and more so just keep looking.

Mate I am sorry to hear of your experience. My first time with an injector was about 2 weeks ago and It was with an L Type. I wanted an E Type but everything I read on BST got the alarm bells ringing meaning that E types are for experienced Injector users and I most certainly wasn't. Also read that the L Types were fairly mild and forgiving.

My first time with the L Type was superb. I got a beautiful smooth shave and I have to say, I am reaching out for my Injector more than my beautiful Rhodium plated British Gillettes. I suggest go for the L Type or the Golden 500. You will love the experience.

Good luck.

Just letting you know, you are not the only one to get a dud injector. I have only bought two duds at auction. Both were injectors with spring problems. I loaded a J without might reading glasses on and because there was not enough tension to hold the blade I did start to on some pretty crude surgery. Do not give up on injectors, I have several from E to L and love the small head design and intuitivr angle for shaving. Just hold it flat against your face then angle slightly and have at it. Just my experience here but with E, G, I and I might get two weepers and L none, the L can give close shave with no burn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom