What's new

"Scent Sensitive" Rant

EXAMPLE:
I used to work in a chemical plant where, obviously for safety reasons, many wore rubber suits nearly all day. In summer time and hot humid weather, B.O. is a way of life and it's accepted to a point. There was one "gentleman" who refused to use soap to wash, either his clothes or body, because he said he was allergic to soap. The stench off him was literally sickening, and many (me included) would urge sometimes when changing next to him. Neither Management, HS&E or the Union would address the issue. I have my own thoughts why he was refusing to use soap, but these thoughts are better kept to myself.

I worked with a guy like that when I first got out of high school. He was the supervisor of the shipping department at a factory where I was working. I had to help with the packaging and drive truck, so I got stuck working under his supervision when I was at the plant. He had never in mortal memory taken a shower. He never changed clothes. An unbelievably vile human being. His neck had rings of dried filth around it. To make things worse, he would occasionally douse himself with a refreshing fistful of Old Spice (the root of the hate part of my love/hate relationship with OS). It was a very noisy workspace and he would sometimes lean in to tell me what he wanted me to do. Even if I held my breath, my eyes would tear up from what he was radiating.

Solution to the problem?

Spray on some Penhaligon's Extract of Limes at home. Enjoy the wonderful scent. Drive to work.

By the time you get there and get situated at your job, the scent is gone and therefore can't offend anybody!:biggrin:

I have one of these "scent sensitive" people at my place of business. She's been making everyones life hell, making all kinds of off the wall comments about how people are using scented deodorant and perfume to harass her. She actually demanded that everyone stop wearing scents or she would sue each person in turn. We finally told her we would consider accommodation under the ADA but she had to furnish documentation from her doctor and then see our doctor. This has been going on for months and were still waiting for her papers.

Top Bottom