What's new

Saving Fuel

Don't you just love this gurus that come out now and tell you "how to"...here's one for ya...

David Bach The Automatic Millionaire

Get More Miles for Your Money

by David Bach

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007, 12:00AM

Yesterday, I filled up my car's tank and spent $68.75! I just about keeled over. I'm dating myself here, but I remember when you could fill up for five bucks -- and you got a free Hot Wheels car for a full tank.
Not anymore, and certainly not this summer. As I write this, the American Automobile Association's (AAA) Daily Fuel Gauge Report shows the nationwide cost of a gallon of gas at $3.09. Some parts of the country will see the cost of a gallon of gas increase to $4 in the coming months, with a combination of lower inventories and increasingly higher demands to blame.
Wisdom at the Pump

Luckily, there are plenty of smart choices we can make to use gas wisely. We can't directly control the cost of gas at the pump, but with the right mindset we can control how we conserve.
Conservation is all about doing the right thing -- not only for your finances, but for the environment as well, and planning before you pump can make a huge difference. The following nine easy tips show you ways to increase your fuel efficiency by almost 90 percent and save thousands of dollars or more this summer.
Here are the tips:
1. Find a bargain.

If you're taking a summer road trip, plan out your route before you go. Identify gas stations along the way that have the lowest prices.

When I stopped in a beach town last week to fill up my car I didn't plan like I should have (I almost ran out of gas), and it cost me the most I'd ever paid for gas -- $3.85 a gallon. Next time I'll go to GasBuddy.com, a site that lets consumers share gas price information easily, and find a better deal before I head for the beach.
2. Keep your tires fully inflated.

The U.S. Department of Energy reports that the average driver can improve mileage by 3.3 percent simply by inflating their vehicle's tires regularly.

In fact, according to the AAA, under-inflated tires are the No. 1 way we waste gas. One out of every four cars and one out of every three pickups, vans, and SUVs have at least one extremely low tire. So pick up a tire gauge at your local auto parts store and check your tire pressure whenever you pull into a service station for gas. Your car's owner's manual will tell you the recommended PSI -- pounds per square inch -- rating.

3. Get a tune-up.

A vehicle in need of servicing is wasting gas in more ways than one. According to the Department of Energy, replacing a clogged air filter can improve your gas mileage by 10 percent, while fixing a faulty oxygen sensor can improve gas mileage by an unbelievable 40 percent.

So kick off your summer by getting that tune-up you've been putting off. Check your owner's manual, or download a free service and maintenance schedule at CarCare.org.

4. Fill 'er up with regular unleaded if possible.

If premium gas isn't absolutely required by your car's manufacturer, then opt for regular unleaded. According to AAA, one out of five gallons of gas pumped in the U.S. is premium -- yet only 10 percent of vehicles require this higher octane fuel.

The truth is that you may not even notice the difference when you drive your car with regular gas instead of premium, and the cost difference can be as much as 40 cents per gallon. If your car doesn't require premium unleaded, you're wasting your money -- premium doesn't improve performance.

5. Adjust your driving habits.

Speeding, excessive accelerating, and sudden braking all waste gas. A more relaxed driving style not only improves safety, it also improves gas mileage by 33 percent for highway driving.
Idling your engine for long periods can also waste up to a gallon of gas per hour. Also, think twice before blasting the air conditioning. According to the Department of Energy, operating your car's air conditioner on its maximum setting can reduce your miles per gallon by 5 to 25 percent compared to not using it at all.
6. Clean out your trunk.

Unnecessary cargo weighs your car down. A hundred extra pounds can reduce your miles per gallon by 2 percent.

Going on vacation? Try to avoid storing luggage on your roof. The increased wind resistance will reduce your mileage as well.

7. Carpool.

You'll literally save thousands of dollars a year in fuel costs if you share a ride to work. Here's an example: If you commute to work 40 miles per day round trip, work full-time, drive a vehicle that gets 24 mpg, and pay the national average for gas, your estimated yearly cost to commute is $5,124.
But if you carpool with one other person, you'll save an estimated $2,562 a year. Carpool with three other people and you'll save an estimated $3,843 a year.

Plug your own commuting numbers into the CommuteSmart cost calculator to see what you can save by carpooling. Then find a rideshare buddy in your area by visiting eRideShare.com.

8. If you're buying a new car, make fuel efficiency a priority.

There's so much to consider when purchasing a new car that fuel efficiency can get lost in the shuffle. By law, however, the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) fuel efficiency rating for new cars is posted in large black numbers on a sticker in the window.

Due to the way vehicles (including hybrids) are tested, those EPA ratings didn't used to reflect real-life conditions. But according to a recent Consumer Reports article, the EPA is using a more accurate method for determining fuel efficiency for all 2008 vehicles. So whether you're shopping at a dealer or comparing EPA estimates online, some quick calculations will help you find a fuel efficient car that's right for you.

9. Buy a hybrid, get a tax break.

Driving a hybrid, which runs on a combination of gas and electric power, will significantly increase your miles per gallon. Hybrid cars are becoming more affordable, too.

According to a recent Wall Street Journal article, in the past it took up to 15 years for the cost savings on gas to offset hybrids' higher sticker prices. But now buyers are seeing a significantly shorter length of time to recoup their investment -- for some models, the break-even period is less than a year.

The government is even offering tax incentives when you purchase certain hybrid vehicles. To find out the details, visit the IRS web site. To read more about hybrid cars, visit Yahoo! Autos.

The Right Mindset

Four dollars a gallon sounds scary to Americans. But the fact that demand continues to increase along with price says it all: We complain about high gas costs, but in reality they don't deter our driving.
Fuel prices won't really go down until our dependency on gasoline does. I tend to agree with the experts who say that we could possibly see gas prices reach double-digits before anything truly changes.
Adopting a gas-conserving mindset is a step in the right direction. So think before you pump, and enjoy your summer. Most important, drive safely!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
He sounds like my wife- she'll drive 15 miles to save 3 cents a gallon, but refuses to consider the amount spent traveling there. :w00t:

Ride this. Of course since it is a two stroke, it polutes...but we are talking gas mileage..:)

proxy.php

Marty

Wish I could fill up my little car for $68.75! Usually costs me around $90 or more here in the UK. Luckily it's a Citroen diesel which gets me around 55mpg, which, if I'm not mistaken, is more than those hybrid Prius manage! It's certainly more than I get from my BMW bike!

Gareth.

Wish I could fill up my little car for $68.75! Usually costs me around $90 or more here in the UK. Luckily it's a Citroen diesel which gets me around 55mpg, which, if I'm not mistaken, is more than those hybrid Prius manage! It's certainly more than I get from my BMW bike!

Gareth.

Hypebrids are easily beaten by most diesels. Especially when you take into account highway mileage. :smile:

The rest of the world, with some exceptions, have been paying these kinds of prices for years. It's a wake up for us Americans that is probably long overdue.

I always chuckle when I see some yo-yo complaining about the price of gas whilst holding a 12oz Starbucks drink in hand that cost $ 3.50 ( that equates to $ 37.33 a gallon). Even filling station coffee at $ 0.99 for a 16oz. cup equates to $ 7.92 a Gallon. It's all a matter of perspective.

ouch

Ride this. Of course since it is a two stroke, it polutes...but we are talking gas mileage..:)

proxy.php

Marty

Looks like fun, but I can seat five and probably get better mileage than you do. :lol:

Additionally, I'm considered partial zero emissions. Don't quite know know what that means, but it makes the hippie chicks swoon.

The rest of the world, with some exceptions, have been paying these kinds of prices for years. It's a wake up for us Americans that is probably long overdue.

I always chuckle when I see some yo-yo complaining about the price of gas whilst holding a 12oz Starbucks drink in hand that cost $ 3.50 ( that equates to $ 37.33 a gallon). Even filling station coffee at $ 0.99 for a 16oz. cup equates to $ 7.92 a Gallon. It's all a matter of perspective.

The rest of the world is not quite accurate - Europe is where prices have been very high and that is due to taxes.

"I tend to agree with the experts who say that we could possibly see gas prices reach double-digits before anything truly changes."

Experts?!!?

ANY price increase in ANY good WILL change consumer behavior sure as the sun will rise. The failing of the US car makers who banked everything on SUVs is a 'true' enough example of change.

Hi,

I have a PPS presentation which shows why oil prices are so high, but I don't know how to, or even if I can do it on this forum.

If anyone is game I'm happy to email them, it is quite amazing.

Cheers
John

That's not nearly as good as the MSN article about saving fuel. One of the tips given was not to drive when it's windy. I'm sure that would go over well with the boss!

"Gee boss, I'd love to come into work today, but it's blowing pretty good out there!"

Another thing you can to to maximize your fuel economy is to replace your air filter if needed and clean your oxygen sensor and throttle body.

My familly travels around town in a big SUV. We have gotten to the point of picking restaurants closer to our house in an effort to save fuel. I can't ever remember having to think like that. Well...good and bad to it.

ouch

Good point. People are paying more (a lot more) than $3/gal for bottled water that comes out of the tap for free.

How many miles do I get per cup of coffee?

I was reading an article the other day online about putting Acetone in your tank to increase gas mileage. IIRC the article stated an increase of 10mpg, and there was a point of diminishing returns on how much you added.

ouch

I was reading an article the other day online about putting Acetone in your tank to increase gas mileage. IIRC the article stated an increase of 10mpg, and there was a point of diminishing returns on how much you added.

Sure. What do all those engineers know?

In the OP's list, I don't see the most important tip: if you drive at 60 mph instead of 70 or 80, you will save quite a bit of gas. Approximately 10%, which is 30-cents per gallon at current prices.

Tim

It's blasphemy, busted by Mythbusters and yours truly. :001_smile

ouch

In the OP's list, I don't see the most important tip: if you drive at 60 mph instead of 70 or 80, you will save quite a bit of gas. Approximately 10%, which is 30-cents per gallon at current prices.

Tim

When I apply that logic to explain why my wife's mileage is so much worse than mine, no matter how many times I crunch the numbers, it appears that she drives 375 mph. :chinese: :scooter:

I'll take a bit of issue with Number 5 and air conditioning. Sure, not using it at all will save some usage, but compared to using it versus driving with the windows down might not be much better. Today's cars are much more aerodynamic and rely on the windows up to take advantage of the fuel economy inherent in the design, so on really warm days, I'd blast the ac versus not using it.

It's blasphemy, busted by Mythbusters and yours truly. :001_smile

I have not seen that episode, though I have a friend that IS an engineer that says they tend to over simplify their experiments or forget a few variables.

Ah back to siphoning the tanks of my neighbor's cars. :redface:

Top Bottom