What's new

Sausage Making

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
This entire thread has had me salivating over my screen... looks amazing! Dumb question, but are they ready to eat once they come out of the smoker, or do you pop them on the grill or in the oven to finish up?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Never made the home ones, but would like to try.

I used to do something similar at a packing house in Tulsa where we made the roast beef for the Arby's roast beef sammys.

We'd take about 50 pounds of bull trimmings and run it through the electric grinder three times, then throw it in a large mixing vat that had about four mixing blades in it, then use some old plastic gallon milk jug things that had the tops cut off on the front at the right height for measurement, then scoop and dump the flavorings and preservatives in the batch and mix it well.

After it got mixed well we'd put the gooey stuff in a big sausage stuffer like thing and pipe it into a casing a bit bigger than a loaf of bread, and throw them into the freezer.

When they shipped to the franchises they would keep them in their freezer, then thaw the loafs out and "roast" them in their ovens, then slice them thin for the sammys.

They can call it roast beef because hey, it is "beef" and it has been "roasted" in their oven.

I used to make it and I don't have a problem with it...I'll still get a sammy from time to time.

I would like to learn how to make the home ones though...grinding thickness, which casings, different spices, etc. I brought the old hand crank grinder from when I was a kid home from Mom's after she passed, so I will be able to grind some pork. But don't think it will take sausage casing stuffing things on the discharge chute though.

By the way...those look perfect to me, Doak.

Guess I won’t be eating at Arby’s anymore.
So now it Jack In The Box and Arby’s.
I knew I should not have read this thread.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Guess I won’t be eating at Arby’s anymore.
So now it Jack In The Box and Arby’s.
I knew I should not have read this thread.

That doesn't turn me off one bit. All he did was describe how to make sausage. Beef trim actually is a very good use for sausage. Most sausage has more fat that what @martym described, but then it wouldn't be so much like a lean roast. It's not like they were throwing in sawdust or some other awful thing.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Sorry guys.
It didn’t come out as the joke I intended.
I have no problem eating just about anything except Alfredo Sauce and Carne Seca.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Dumb question, but are they ready to eat once they come out of the smoker, or do you pop them on the grill or in the oven to finish up?

That's not a dumb question at all! The quick answer is "it depends." More specifically, it depends on the internal temperature when you take the sausages out of the smoker and just what you want to do.

For a cured sausage, you can smoke at very low temperatures (often around 130-140F or even lower) because of that curing. Once you get the smoke and color you want, you can finish them off however you want (grill, oven, poaching, sous vide, griddle/skillet, or just stoke up the smoker more to finish). You do need to finish cooking them by some method, though.

However, you can do a little of everything. For the last batch of smoked sausage I posted (which was cured), I smoked them for somewhere around 4 hours or so at 135-150F. Then, I finished them in a sous vide bath (to 158F, if I recall). Then, I cooled them, let them "bloom" (sit back out for an hour or so to dry and let some oils work into the casing), and vacuum packed up most of them. They were ready to eat then and there, and they were very good. However, I also grilled some just make them even better. I still have a good bit of that batch around. I might grill more, or I might not.

For the Summer sausage (also cured), I did the same thing, except that I smoked for more like 5 hours, all around 140F, finished up in a sous vide bath, and then that was it. I won't grill them or cook them any other way.

For a fresh sausage, you need to cook at higher temperatures to be safe, so you're a little more limited in what you can do in order to be safe.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
That's not a dumb question at all! The quick answer is "it depends." More specifically, it depends on the internal temperature when you take the sausages out of the smoker and just what you want to do.

For a cured sausage, you can smoke at very low temperatures (often around 130-140F or even lower) because of that curing. Once you get the smoke and color you want, you can finish them off however you want (grill, oven, poaching, sous vide, griddle/skillet, or just stoke up the smoker more to finish). You do need to finish cooking them by some method, though.

However, you can do a little of everything. For the last batch of smoked sausage I posted (which was cured), I smoked them for somewhere around 4 hours or so at 135-150F. Then, I finished them in a sous vide bath (to 158F, if I recall). Then, I cooled them, let them "bloom" (sit back out for an hour or so to dry and let some oils work into the casing), and vacuum packed up most of them. They were ready to eat then and there, and they were very good. However, I also grilled some just make them even better. I still have a good bit of that batch around. I might grill more, or I might not.

For the Summer sausage (also cured), I did the same thing, except that I smoked for more like 5 hours, all around 140F, finished up in a sous vide bath, and then that was it. I won't grill them or cook them any other way.

For a fresh sausage, you need to cook at higher temperatures to be safe, so you're a little more limited in what you can do in order to be safe.
Seems that it can quite involved if you want it to be - thanks for explaining it in such detail. Sausages for me have in the past mostly been the last variety you mentioned, the fresh type; if not oven baked, it’s usually just grilled or pan fried here. Smoked sausage is a rarity!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Correction on the recipe: the amount of cardamom should be 1 teaspoon. (But the amounts are flexible). Enjoy!

Tom

Well, there ya go!

Seriously, it was quite good with the tablespoon, and that was unanimous among the house. I was thinking of cutting it back only by 1-1.5 teaspoons. I'll give the 1 teaspoon version a whirl the next time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
All the talk on the other sausage thread got me excited. I've had American style Italian sausage on my to-do list, but never got around to it. I worked up this batch last evening abs will put it on the grill in a little bit.

20210307_121621.jpg

The taste from the patties we made encouraged me but also made me think they could use a bit more red pepper, but the overnight rest and proper grilling are the real test.

It also was something to see that I started this thread one year ago to the day. It's been a fun year, learning to make sausage!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The sausage came out pretty good, but it most certainly needs more red pepper--tasty, but very mild. It could probably use a little more fennel, too. This will be a fun one to play with.

They came out great when grilled (of course), but I might also go a less traditional route and smoke a batch sometime.

20210307_134703.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The sausage came out pretty good, but it most certainly needs more red pepper--tasty, but very mild. It could probably use a little more fennel, too. This will be a fun one to play with.

They came out great when grilled (of course), but I might also go a less traditional route and smoke a batch sometime.

View attachment 1233487
DEFINITELY can't be hurt by smoking...

Does the red pepper get stronger as the sausage ages any? I know my salsa gets stronger...

View attachment 1233487

Italian sausage is excellent smoked! I often add some to my smoker while doing ribs, butt, etc. done in about 45 minutes and great with Brie (while waiting on the rest..)

Tom

DEFINITELY can't be hurt by smoking...

Does the red pepper get stronger as the sausage ages any? I know my salsa gets stronger...

I don’t believe so. We make a Jalepeño cheddar smokies and they get milder over time.
That could be from the smoking and cooking, or it could be from the freezing.
We just started making a fresh chorizo this year, and I haven’t noticed any extra heat over time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don’t believe so. We make a Jalepeño cheddar smokies and they get milder over time.
That could be from the smoking and cooking, or it could be from the freezing.
This thread may get me in trouble.... according to my lovely War Department I have enough "hobbies".....

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
...according to my lovely War Department I have enough "hobbies".

Sometimes attitudes are amenable to modification. When I met the woman who became Mrs. Hippie about 30 years ago, I offered to cook dinner for her. "Oh, great," she said. "I get to try another man's special spaghetti. I hope you don't use fish sticks like the last guy."

"Sorry, I don't DO spaghetti," I said. And followed up with cashew chicken, pie for dessert, a nice wine, and a little hausgemacht brandy for after.

"You're hired," she said with a gentle belch.

Recipes that start out with "100 pounds pork butt" can be a little hard to scale down for somebody who wants to make just a couple pounds. But look around! There are good sausage recipes all over the internet. And yeah...agree with @esky15 that eatin' ain't a hobby.

Life is too short to eat dull food.

O.H.

Top Bottom