What's new

Sausage Making

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sometimes attitudes are amenable to modification. When I met the woman who became Mrs. Hippie about 30 years ago, I offered to cook dinner for her. "Oh, great," she said. "I get to try another man's special spaghetti. I hope you don't use fish sticks like the last guy."

"Sorry, I don't DO spaghetti," I said. And followed up with cashew chicken, pie for dessert, a nice wine, and a little hausgemacht brandy for after.

"You're hired," she said with a gentle belch.

Recipes that start out with "100 pounds pork butt" can be a little hard to scale down for somebody who wants to make just a couple pounds. But look around! There are good sausage recipes all over the internet. And yeah...agree with @esky15 that eatin' ain't a hobby.

Life is too short to eat dull food.

O.H.
Brother, sounds like you married up too! My lovely bride brought me over some cashew chicken creation when we were dating, probably 33ish years ago. Rice, soy sauce. I didn't appreciate it much because my palate was...retarded at that age. But she has only gotten better as a cook as the years have passed, and I am only really free to range about the range if it's a roast of some kind, venison.....stuff she can actually do better, but she chooses to indulge me in.

Lol, I LIVED on fish sticks and beer at one point in a prior life. God really done good when He thought up Eve!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
How did you manage that? You must go hunt your own meat (because we all know that hunting is free 🤣).
My neighbor figures his venison has only cost him about $500/lb. over the years!

One of the advantages of having a few acres is I get my venison the civilized way: wrapped and frozen by the gents I let hunt!

I'm getting lazier by the minute. We've got life backwards. We should retire FIRST, then go to work after we are to old to get to the woods!

How did you manage that? You must go hunt your own meat (because we all know that hunting is free 🤣).

I suppose I should factor in location. We're double-triple in price for groceries in Canada compared to the US, so here it is way easier to save doing it yourself here.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As promised, a pic of the newest babies hanging out in the smoker.

20210316_131817.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
To finish the story. The sausages finished up in the sous vide after a light smoking. I took one of those and browned it in the skillet to see how that would be. It was good, but it's hard to beat the grill.

20210319_132403.jpg

20210319_132428.jpg

20210319_132938.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I haven't posted on this one in a while, but I'm still going strong. HEB had a sale on chuck roasts last week, so I went a little crazy and made 20 pounds of beef summer sausage, half with ghost pepper cheese and half with no cheese. Here's the ghost pepper stuff in the smoker.

20221220_111633.jpg

I could live off this stuff. It wouldn't be a very long life, mind you, but it would be a happy one.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Looks great! I stuffed a batch of chicken sausage a couple of days ago. About 50/50 breast and thighs. Came out pretty good.

View attachment 1577179

Yum! I also want to work up some chicken sausage while I still have all my gear out and before the weather warms back up into the 70s.

What's your recipe, if you don't mind me asking? I know I need to tweak my "hauswurst" (beef/pork) for chicken, but I'm not sure how I want to go about it.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yum! I also want to work up some chicken sausage while I still have all my gear out and before the weather warms back up into the 70s.

What's your recipe, if you don't mind me asking? I know I need to tweak my "hauswurst" (beef/pork) for chicken, but I'm not sure how I want to go about it.
I used Chud's Youtube recipe, minus the pork fat since my breast meat and thighs had some good fat on them.

• 4 lb Chicken 50/50 mix breast and thighs
  • 1 lb Chicken Liver
  • 1 lb Pork Fat (didn't use)
  • 1 tsp #1 cure
  • 45g Kosher Salt
  • 17g Granulated Garlic
  • 10g Granulated Onion
  • 12g Black Pepper
  • 15g Paprika
  • 15g Mustard Powder
  • 5g Dried Parsley
  • 70g Milk Powder
  • 200g Ice

Grind 10mm
Mix well
Stuff in pork casings
Dry cases under a fan for about 30 mins
Run smoker at 150 to keep fat from running out
Flip at two hours and wipe them down.
Pull at 3 hrs or 150 IT
Ice bath and cook or vac-seal and freeze.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@kelbro By the way, I've found that using only thighs and leaving the skin on gets me plenty of fat and excellent texture. Just grind the skin right in. It pretty much melts away when you cook the sausage, and the result is a remarkably succulent texture that most people don't expect when you say "chicken sausage."

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
@kelbro By the way, I've found that using only thighs and leaving the skin on gets me plenty of fat and excellent texture. Just grind the skin right in. It pretty much melts away when you cook the sausage, and the result is a remarkably succulent texture that most people don't expect when you say "chicken sausage."
That's what I did. Skin and all. Cut it all up and put the pan in the freezer for 30 mins. Ground up nice and sticky. Had a good snap and was plenty juicy.

Top Bottom