What's new

Santa Maria Novella Crema Da Barba review

I just got back from Florence Italy and visited their main store. The place is like a shrine - truly incredible.

Now there's something to turn me green with envy. Great pics. What a treat to be able to see the place up close, and hopefully get to sample any of the products you want before buying - something we here in the states don't get to do, very risky considering Lafco's stingy (that is to say nonexistent) return policy on SMN products. (I won't even discuss their rotten customer service.) Also, if I recall from when Dennis went, he said the prices are much more reasonable when buying them in Florence. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Now there's something to turn me green with envy. Great pics. What a treat to be able to see the place up close, and hopefully get to sample any of the products you want before buying - something we here in the states don't get to do, very risky considering Lafco's stingy (that is to say nonexistent) return policy on SMN products. (I won't even discuss their rotten customer service.) Also, if I recall from when Dennis went, he said the prices are much more reasonable when buying them in Florence. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

As long as you don't factor in the cost of the plane ticket to Florence, anyway... :wink:

FWIW, there are some old-timers on shavemyface.com who are convinced that it's the same as Proraso.

Need to check out this thread...should be enlightening.:001_huh:

Do you have a link to the discussion? There search function is not being very friendly.

Last edited:
FWIW, there are some old-timers on shavemyface.com who are convinced that it's the same as Proraso.

It isn't.

The SMN doesn't have the same smell or consistency of Proraso, in either the soap or cream format.

I can't comment on the shave though.

If I recall the price of a tub of shaving cream was 25 Euros ($35 USD). So, quite a bit cheaper than Lafco.

One would think that shaving products in Italy would be widely available - in fact, the opposite is true. Proraso isn't even available at most Pharmacias.

If anybody happens to visit Rome, there is a store called "Muzo" that carries a wide variety of shaving products. I managed to pickup some Floid Aftershave and Pre-shave Gel at a rather low cost (pre-shave was only 10 Euros). The Floid Aftershave bottle is humongous.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If I recall the price of a tub of shaving cream was 25 Euros ($35 USD). So, quite a bit cheaper than Lafco.

One would think that shaving products in Italy would be widely available - in fact, the opposite is true. Proraso isn't even available at most Pharmacias.

If anybody happens to visit Rome, there is a store called "Muzo" that carries a wide variety of shaving products. I managed to pickup some Floid Aftershave and Pre-shave Gel at a rather low cost (pre-shave was only 10 Euros). The Floid Aftershave bottle is humongous.

Nice haul. Looks like you will be having some nice Santa Maria Novella shave days. I found the pre dopo went much faster than the shave cream.

Chris Fisher was the "man in the know" I referred to earlier in the thread. His description of the arrangement between SMN and Martelli makes sense, so it would seem we have a situation with SMN that is similar to the English creams and Creightons. Like I said, there are plenty of people willing to spend $35 on a tub of Trumpers when they could get a tub of Taylors for $15, even though their ingredients lists are identical (save for fragrance compounds) and they are made at the same factory. Those who like Trumpers think the extra cash is worth it. And few "old timers" at SMF would argue that Trumper is just rebranded Taylors and is therefore a ripoff any smart person should avoid. If we apply the same logic to the Proraso/Omega/SMN situation, then there's no reason why SMN should be shunned just on account of its being made at the same place where Proraso is. In the end, if people can honestly tell the difference and feel the price of the SMN is justified, then there's no reason why they souldn't enjoy the cream and feel satisfied in their purchase. Those who can't tell the difference will obviously do better just buying Proraso.

Have you been to Marios in downtown Ptown? they carry a handful of SMN products and have a SMN tub for samples, just keep in mind how high in the air thier noses are going to be.

Chris Fisher was the "man in the know" I referred to earlier in the thread. His description of the arrangement between SMN and Martelli makes sense, so it would seem we have a situation with SMN that is similar to the English creams and Creightons. Like I said, there are plenty of people willing to spend $35 on a tub of Trumpers when they could get a tub of Taylors for $15, even though their ingredients lists are identical (save for fragrance compounds) and they are made at the same factory. Those who like Trumpers think the extra cash is worth it. And few "old timers" at SMF would argue that Trumper is just rebranded Taylors and is therefore a ripoff any smart person should avoid. If we apply the same logic to the Proraso/Omega/SMN situation, then there's no reason why SMN should be shunned just on account of its being made at the same place where Proraso is. In the end, if people can honestly tell the difference and feel the price of the SMN is justified, then there's no reason why they souldn't enjoy the cream and feel satisfied in their purchase. Those who can't tell the difference will obviously do better just buying Proraso.

Well stated....I can honestly tell the difference between Trumpers or TOBS and T&H. Specifically, the consistency and texture of the lather and how it feels on my face.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I made a post over there with links to this thread, my review, and the discussion for the review.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just because something is made in the same factory as another product does not mean it is the same, even if the ingredients are the same. There are different specs for each brand, which is usually why there is a price difference.

Perhaps a key ingredient, which is very expensive, has just a little higher quality or quantity in the pricier offering. Then add to that, since it is more expensive fewer units will be sold, so production runs are shorter running up the cost even further. Finally topping it off with retail mark up, even if the same percentage, based on the higher wholesale cost it is going to be significantly higher. I believe the amount of the price that is solely attributed to the name is very small.

There's a reason why certain names have become synonymous with quality. Quality always precedes name recognition.

Top Bottom