What's new

Santa Maria Novella Crema Da Barba review

OldSaw

The wife's investment
This thread has me in a SMN mood. I think I will have myself a Santa Maria Novella day.

And here's something else I find perplexing. I'm aware of Old Saw's post from a couple years ago when he showed the Proraso and SMN ingredients lists side by side, and they were different. Problem is, the list on the SMN tub I bought from Lee's Razors last summer doesn't match the one in Old Saw's photos. Indeed, my tub of SMN has the exact same ingredients as does my tub of Proraso, save for one exception: the SMN includes lanolin near the bottom of the list, which is missing from the Proraso.

Here is something to consider in your B&B CSI investigation HoratioCaine :lol: which is a good one if I may add :thumbup1:

based on the ingredients you have listed, you have stated the only difference is Lanolin in the SMN and that your Proraso tub doesnt contain Lanolin.
I have seen Omega & Proraso ingredients listed side by side in a previous thread {uh investigation} :detective: & the difference between the two was Lanolin in the Omega ingredients list.

So detective are you willing to suggest the SMN is actually Omega? :biggrin:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Here is something to consider in your B&B CSI investigation HoratioCaine :lol: which is a good one if I may add :thumbup1:

based on the ingredients you have listed, you have stated the only difference is Lanolin in the SMN and that your Proraso tub doesnt contain Lanolin.
I have seen Omega & Proraso ingredients listed side by side in a previous thread {uh investigation} :detective: & the difference between the two was Lanolin in the Omega ingredients list.

If it is, wouldn't that be wonderful for all of us. :smile: Although I have heard that Omega has been reformulated and no longer contains lanolin.

I have a tube of Omega shave cream that contains lanolin and it is much better than Proraso. While I really enjoy it, I still don't think it is the same as SMN. I have not tried the Omega soft shave soap, though. If I felt it was the same, I would buy a few tubs of it.

I will say this about the ingredients, the list of ingredients, even if the same or similar, does not give quantities or recipe formulation. The difference is in the shave.

Very true. The "recipe" for all the traditional English creams (i.e., the "Three Ts," D.R. Harris) is identical on paper, and yet we can all see differences between them. Even T&H's Ultimate Comfort cream has literally the same ingredients in the same order as their traditional creams, but it's certainly not the same. So ingredients only tell part of the story. But there's no doubt the list on my tub is different from one the one on yours, which concerns me. I have noticed changes in a number of SMN products recently. My first bottle of their lavender aftershave was a really green, austere, masculine affair in terms of scent. I loved it, and it quickly became my preferred way to end a shave. When I got a second bottle six months or so later (just over a year ago), the scent was completely different - sickly sweet and feminine; my girlfriend said she would actually like to wear it. The scent of their Aritea Lavender bath soap also changed; it went from muted traditional to blaring modern overnight. I e-mailed Lafco about this, and they said they would look into it, but I never heard anything back. Considering Lafco has an as-is policy on SMN products, I'm becoming afraid to order anything else from them, for fear I'll get burned. It's a damn shame, because my single favorite cologne is SMN's Imperial Lavender. I'm worried maybe they changed that as well, and I'm uneasy spending a non-refundable $110 to find out.

This thread is moving faster than I can keep up with it. Taking your question seriously for a moment...who knows? A "man in the know" on another forum swears that his "sources" tell him SMN cream is produced by Martelli, the makers of Proraso and Omega. Why that sould be when SMN has their own production facility, I don't know. (I once saw a promotional video that showed the interior of the SMN plant; it showed SMN shaving cream tubs being packaged up. That doesn't mean the cream was actually made there. It could just be packaged there.) Even if this is true, it isn't as scandalous as it appears at first glance. All the major English creams are made by Creightons, yet nobody blinks at spending $20 more on a tub of Trumpers than a tub of Taylors, knowing the story full well. In the end, as Dennis says, it's all about the shave. My concern is less about the price of the cream - and whether or not its repackaged Proraso or Omega - as about the direction SMN is going in terms of reformulating their products.

Edit: Sorry, Dennis; I missed your name at the bottom of your signature. Didn't mean to be so impersonal. :redface:

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
This thread is moving faster than I can keep up with it. Taking your question seriously for a moment...who knows? A "man in the know" on another forum swears that his "sources" tell him SMN cream is produced by Martelli, the makers of Proraso and Omega. Why that sould be when SMN has their own production facility, I don't know. (I once saw a promotional video that showed the interior of the SMN plant; it showed SMN shaving cream tubs being packaged up. That doesn't mean the cream was actually made their. It could just be packaged there.) Even if this is true, it isn't as scandalous as it appears at first glance. All the major English creams are made by Creightons, yet nobody blinks at spending $20 more on a tub of Trumpers than a tub of Taylors, knowing the story full well. In the end, as Old Saw says, it's all about the shave. My concern is less about the price of the cream - and whether or not its repackaged Proraso or Omega - as about the direction SMN is going in terms of reformulating their products.

Very interesting. I can see why you have selected your avatar and screen name the way you did. I hope they are not ruining what used to be a great product line. I'm with you, that I would not be willing to take the risk of their premium pricing to find out if the product is not the same.

It's times like this when I wish a company rep would chime in and entertain questions.

Naw, I think the price is pretty good when you consider the quality, amount in the container, and the amount used per shave

My tub's year anniversary is coming up. Having used it at least once a week, often two or three times, 2/3 remains. Given how long it lasts, not to mention how well it shaves, the price is fantastic.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I had a great SMN shave this afternoon. However, my Omega boar brush was holding a little too much water in the breach. It seemed to thin it out between passes. I had to go back to the tub for a little more between passes.

Lesson learned. I think I will stick with my badger for this product.

My face always feels so soft and refreshed when I use SMN. What was that word used to describe the feeling?... Oh yeah.

WOW!

I want SMN...I have placed it in my virtual cart on at least 5 occasions and yet I have not yet pulled the trigger. I have a hard time with the price and already have a Penhaligon's BB...this thread is killing me!!!!!!! Please let it die....let it die.:wink:

I want SMN...I have placed it in my virtual cart on at least 5 occasions and yet I have not yet pulled the trigger. I have a hard time with the price and already have a Penhaligon's BB...this thread is killing me!!!!!!! Please let it die....let it die.:wink:

You should consider contacting the company for a sample. The three things that seperate SMN from the pack for me are:

1. Moisturizing qualities. For some reason (maybe the lanolin) my face feels perfect from the time I complete the shave throughout the rest of the day. Not too dry not overly moisturized...just right.
2. Closeness of the shave. Not really sure why but the shaves are much closer with SMN. Although they are closer, they are also more comfortable. No irritation, ingrowns,...etc. :ohmy:
3. Lingering Scent. Maybe it's just my imagination but I seem to catch traces of the scent several hours after the shave. Nothing major, just faint traces of the scent....enough to remind you of how great it was. Again, this may just be in my imagination :out:

I shaved with this again this morning and as Dennis and the O.P. said. "WOW".

I feel your pain!!

If you're a logical guy, consider this: at the end of the day, SMN is cheaper than Proraso per shave. In the time you use up a tub of SMN, you'll have used up six or more tubes of Proraso.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If you're a logical guy, consider this: at the end of the day, SMN is cheaper than Proraso per shave. In the time you use up a tub of SMN, you'll have used up six or more tubes of Proraso.

That's only if you are buying Proraso in the tubes as opposed to the tubs. If you are comparing tubs to tubs, the SMN is probably more per shave. The big thing for me is what Bulldawg said a few posts back.

Top Bottom