What's new

Santa Maria Novella Crema Da Barba review

They had this at Merz Apothecary in Chicago and didn't recall seeing any reviews on it. I'd be interested to hear what others think about it and/or maybe a little more of a description instead of just, "wow". :tongue:

"Wow" is the best way to put it. It's like Proraso but better. The $52 a tub is VERY misleading. In the end, it'll last forever and ends up costing around the same as Proraso does per shave.

Contact [email protected] and ask for a sample.

EDIT: By the way, it's more like a soft soap. It's very hard and dense.

Awesome stuff. Just got my first tub. I think the comparison to proraso is a bit misleading. It is mentholated, but beyond that, it is a different beast.

R

rum

"Wow" is the best way to put it. It's like Proraso but better. The $52 a tub is VERY misleading. In the end, it'll last forever and ends up costing around the same as Proraso does per shave.

Contact [email protected] and ask for a sample.

EDIT: By the way, it's more like a soft soap. It's very hard and dense.

Anyone know if they'd send a sample over to the UK? I've not seen this anywhere in Britain and it would be nice to at least try it.

If you open it up and give it a whiff, it smells a bit like Proraso. If you begin to lather it, it looks a bit like Proraso. If you put it on your face, at first it feels and smells a bit like Proraso, but much richer.

When you shave you find it is MUCH richer, slicker, more luxurious, and more comfortable than Proraso to about the nth degree or so. The smell also evolves over time as you are shaving, and begins to have an interesting, rich scent with a hint of tobacco to it.

When you finish shaving and rinse off your face, all you can say is "Wow."

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If you open it up and give it a whiff, it smells a bit like Proraso. If you begin to lather it, it looks a bit like Proraso. If you put it on your face, at first it feels and smells a bit like Proraso, but much richer.

When you shave you find it is MUCH richer, slicker, more luxurious, and more comfortable than Proraso to about the nth degree or so. The smell also evolves over time as you are shaving, and begins to have an interesting, rich scent with a hint of tobacco to it.

When you finish shaving and rinse off your face, all you can say is "Wow."

Yep

I'm considering purchasing some of this and have a few questions:

- How do you remove it from the container? (Scoop with a spoon or swirl the brush)

- If you scoop it out, how much do you scoop out (1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp,...etc)

- Is the menthol kick stronger or about the same as Proraso?

thanks guys!

Bulldawg, use SMN as a soap.

In my opinion, the menthol kick is weaker than Proraso (C.O. Bigelow in my case). Somehow, SMN is better, though.

EDIT: If you do scoop it out, 1/2 or 3/4 of what you'd use for a cream suffices.

I'm considering purchasing some of this and have a few questions:

- How do you remove it from the container? (Scoop with a spoon or swirl the brush)

- If you scoop it out, how much do you scoop out (1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp,...etc)

- Is the menthol kick stronger or about the same as Proraso?

thanks guys!

I scoop mine out, Bulldawg. I use a small butter serving knife I got at Crate & Barrel. A small dab, about the size of a kidney bean, is more than enough when I've got soft water at the apartment complex. I whip mine up in a scuttle.

I think Proraso is a hotter menthol, if that makes sense. I think SMN has a heavier, camphor base to it. In a hot scuttle, either one will help clear your sinuses.

Anyway, definitely a "Wow" soap. I'll never allow myself to run out.

Don

In my opinion, the menthol kick is weaker than Proraso (C.O. Bigelow in my case). Somehow, SMN is better, though.

EDIT: If you do scoop it out, 1/2 or 3/4 of what you'd use for a cream suffices.

I scoop mine out, Bulldawg. I use a small butter serving knife I got at Crate & Barrel. A small dab, about the size of a kidney bean, is more than enough when I've got soft water at the apartment complex. I whip mine up in a scuttle.

I think Proraso is a hotter menthol, if that makes sense. I think SMN has a heavier, camphor base to it. In a hot scuttle, either one will help clear your sinuses.

Anyway, definitely a "Wow" soap. I'll never allow myself to run out.

Don

Thanks for the info guys..I just ordered some :w00t:

OldSaw

The wife's investment

That's the same way I use it.

This is on my list of creams to buy; I see that Lee's has it. Any other sources?

You could order it from Lafcony, the US reseller.

I'd get it from Lee's. He has free shipping for B&B members.

EDIT: It's $52 everywhere, so you might as well get it from Lee's (because of the free shipping). Just mention that you're a B&B member in the order instructions.

Top Bottom