What's new

Santa Maria Novella Crema Da Barba review

Just shaved with this stuff about 30 minutes ago....and :001_tt1::badger::a14::taz::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

Edit: Did I mention that this stuff is awesome?

Last edited:
I saw a local store that carried this and I would say I would probably like the scent of this more than Proraso. They only had a tester there, so you couldn't even buy the product. I'm not sure I would pay $52 for a tub, but it definitely was thick and a very large container.

Just shaved with this stuff about 30 minutes ago....and :001_tt1::badger::a14::taz::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

Edit: Did I mention that this stuff is awesome?

How difficult was it to optain thick cushy lather? Did you scoop some out and lather in a bowl or use your brush like a soap and lather on your face?

I'm very intrigued by SMN. Those Italians know how to make luxury goods!!

How difficult was it to optain thick cushy lather? Did you scoop some out and lather in a bowl or use your brush like a soap and lather on your face?

Use it as a soap. If you scoop it out you won't get as good as a lather.

I just scooped out about 1/2 teaspoon and built lather in a scuttle. In my opinion, it was about as easy to build lather with as Proraso. The consistency is a little different (like a soft soap) so it took maybe 5-10 more seconds to get the lather started. This is by far the closest, most comfortable shave that I've experienced to date. All I can say is I feel SMN is superior to Proraso in every way....and I love Proraso. :001_tt1: I now understand what the O.P. meant when he said "Wow. That is all." :crying: Words can't do this stuff justice, you just have to try it for yourself.

I just scooped out about 1/2 teaspoon and built lather in a scuttle. In my opinion, it was about as easy to build lather with as Proraso. The consistency is a little different (like a soft soap) so it took maybe 5-10 more seconds to get the lather started. This is by far the closest, most comfortable shave that I've experienced to date. All I can say is that I feel SMN is superior to Proraso in every way....and I love Proraso. :001_tt1: I now understand what the O.P. meant when he said "Wow. That is all." :crying: Words can't do this stuff justice, you just have to try it for yourself.

Why the sad face?

For a long time, I thought Proraso and SMN were identical. And that is a very positive statement about both products. There aren't any negatives here. I used to have two tubes of Proraso, and now I have one enormous pot full of SMN. Identical or not, I'm satisfied that the SMN will outlast many big tubes of Proraso, so cost per shave isn't an issue.

Yup. In the end, Proraso might actually cost more per shave.

How do you figure? A 150ml tub of the Proraso "soap" (the equivalent of the SMN cream) costs $9.95 at Em's Place. A 250ml tub of the SMN cream costs $52. That means a 150ml tub of SMN at the same unit price would cost $31.20, or a 250ml tub of Proraso at the same unit price would cost $16.58. Given that difference, a unit of the the SMN cream would have to last over three times as long as a unit of Proraso soap just for the price per shave to break even. I don't see that happening. I can see some differences between the two creams, but Proraso does not look significantly less dense in the tub than does the SMN, so I don't see why the SMN would last much if any longer. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pay the higher price for SMN if you enjoy it that much more than Proraso, but I honestly think if you're trying to justify the expense by saying the SMN actually costs less per shave than Proraso, you're fooling yourself.

And here's something else I find perplexing. I'm aware of Old Saw's post from a couple years ago when he showed the Proraso and SMN ingredients lists side by side, and they were different. Problem is, the list on the SMN tub I bought from Lee's Razors last summer doesn't match the one in Old Saw's photos. Indeed, my tub of SMN has the exact same ingredients as does my tub of Proraso, save for one exception: the SMN includes lanolin near the bottom of the list, which is missing from the Proraso. Here are the lists, in case you're interested. I've numbered the ingredients to help you compare them respectively, and I've denoted any different ingredients (only one) with asterisks. Also, for comparison, here is Old Saw's thread containing his pic of the ingredients list on the tub he has.

Edit: By the way, I just noticed the lot number on Old Saw's tub is 1402; the lot number on mine is 1901. Mine's clearly newer. Reformulation, maybe?

SMN:
1. Aqua (water-eau)
2. Stearic acid
3. Cocos nucifera (coconut oil)
4. Potassium hydroxide
5. Sodium hydroxide
6. Glycerin
7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
8. Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus globulus leaf oil)
9. Propylene glycol
10. Menthol
11. Parfum (fragrance)
12. Amyl Cinnamal
13. Eugenol
14. Geraniol
15. Methylparaben
16. Ethylparaben
17. Propylparaben
18. Butylparaben
19. Eucalyptol
20. Boric acid
21. Camphor
22. PEG-15- distearate
23. *Lanolin*
24. Hydroxyethylcellulose
25. Sodium Borate
26. BHT

Proraso:
1. Aqua
2. Stearic Acid
3. Cocos nucifera
4. Potassium Hydroxide
5. Sodium Hydroxide
6. Glycerin
7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
8. Eucalyptus globulus
9. Propylene glycol
10. Menthol
11. Parfum
12. Amyl cinnamal
13. Eugenol
14. Geraniol
15. Methylparaben
16. Ethylparaben
17. Propylparaben
18. Butylparaben
19. Eucalyptol
20. Boric acid
21. Camphor
22. PEG-150 distearate
23. Hydroxyethylcellulose
24. Sodium borate
25. BHT

Last edited:
It would sure seem weird if they decided (sometime between 2007 and the present) to change the formula of one of the oldest shave creams on the market.......doesn't make much sense to me.

I have a tube of Proraso at home and have used it many times; it's a pretty good cream. The shave I get with SMN is superior. The scent is different, too. (Note that I am comparing it with Proraso CREAM, not with Proraso SOAP.)

I agree that it is certainly not "cheaper" than Proraso, no matter how you slice it, but it's a great shave.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
How do you figure? A 150ml tub of the Proraso "soap" (the equivalent of the SMN cream) costs $9.95 at Em's Place. A 250ml tub of the SMN cream costs $52. That means a 150ml tub of SMN at the same unit price would cost $31.20, or a 250ml tub of Proraso at the same unit price would cost $16.58. Given that difference, a unit of the the SMN cream would have to last over three times as long as a unit of Proraso soap just for the price per shave to break even. I don't see that happening. I can see some differences between the two creams, but Proraso does not look significantly less dense in the tub than does the SMN, so I don't see why the SMN would last much if any longer. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pay the higher price for SMN if you enjoy it that much more than Proraso, but I honestly think if you're trying to justify the expense by saying the SMN actually costs less per shave than Proraso, you're fooling yourself.

And here's something else I find perplexing. I'm aware of Old Saw's post from a couple years ago when he showed the Proraso and SMN ingredients lists side by side, and they were different. Problem is, the list on the SMN tub I bought from Lee's Razors last summer doesn't match the one in Old Saw's photos. Indeed, my tub of SMN has the exact same ingredients as does my tub of Proraso, save for one exception: the SMN includes lanolin near the bottom of the list, which is missing from the Proraso. Here are the lists, in case you're interested. I've numbered the ingredients to help you compare them respectively, and I've denoted any different ingredients (only one) with asterisks. Also, for comparison, here is Old Saw's thread containing his pic of the ingredients list on the tub he has.

Edit: By the way, I just noticed the lot number on Old Saw's tub is 1402; the lot number on mine is 1901. Mine's clearly newer. Reformulation, maybe?

SMN:
1. Aqua (water-eau)
2. Stearic acid
3. Cocos nucifera (coconut oil)
4. Potassium hydroxide
5. Sodium hydroxide
6. Glycerin
7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
8. Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus globulus leaf oil)
9. Propylene glycol
10. Menthol
11. Parfum (fragrance)
12. Amyl Cinnamal
13. Eugenol
14. Geraniol
15. Methylparaben
16. Ethylparaben
17. Propylparaben
18. Butylparaben
19. Eucalyptol
20. Boric acid
21. Camphor
22. PEG-15- distearate
23. *Lanolin*
24. Hydroxyethylcellulose
25. Sodium Borate
26. BHT

Proraso:
1. Aqua
2. Stearic Acid
3. Cocos nucifera
4. Potassium Hydroxide
5. Sodium Hydroxide
6. Glycerin
7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
8. Eucalyptus globulus
9. Propylene glycol
10. Menthol
11. Parfum
12. Amyl cinnamal
13. Eugenol
14. Geraniol
15. Methylparaben
16. Ethylparaben
17. Propylparaben
18. Butylparaben
19. Eucalyptol
20. Boric acid
21. Camphor
22. PEG-150 distearate
23. Hydroxyethylcellulose
24. Sodium borate
25. BHT

Nice work. Thanks for the update.

I actually would not price compare with Proraso, since I can't use Proraso. However, comparing it to other high quality creams, like Art of Shaving, the unit cost is very comparable.

I will say this about the ingredients, the list of ingredients, even if the same or similar, does not give quantities or recipe formulation. The difference is in the shave.

I understand that most people will not want to pay $52 for a tub of SMN. That's one reason why I have backed off on recommending it so heavily. I was fortunate to get mine for around $20 at a store that was discontinuing it.

I am glad to see others happily enjoying it, though. I was really feeling like the Lone Ranger with this stuff.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It would sure seem weird if they decided (sometime between 2007 and the present) to change the formula of one of the oldest shave creams on the market.......doesn't make much sense to me.

I have a tube of Proraso at home and have used it many times; it's a pretty good cream. The shave I get with SMN is superior. The scent is different, too. (Note that I am comparing it with Proraso CREAM, not with Proraso SOAP.)

I agree that it is certainly not "cheaper" than Proraso, no matter how you slice it, but it's a great shave.

I find that the Proraso soft shave soap doesn't shave or lather nearly as well at SMN. The lather from the SMN is almost magical as it rapidly fills my brush with luxurious mounds of creamy goodness.

The lather from the SMN is almost magical as it rapidly fills my brush with luxurious mounds of creamy goodness.

Are you describing Cedarfurnitureman Homemade Shaving Soap or SMN? :lol::lol::lol: Just Kidding....I agree 100% you have to try it to understand.

Top Bottom