What's new

Salt & Pepper (not the rappers)

Hello gents,
I am in the market for new salt and pepper grinders. I currently am using disposable ones purchased from costco, they do not preform very well.
What kind/brand do you use? where did you purchase them? These will mostly be used for seasoning food prior to cooking. Thank you for any advice. -Greg

Peugeot grinders are the best I have come across. I only use one for pepper, I keep maldon sea salt flakes in a dish and use fine sea salt which obviously doesn't require a grinder. If you want one for salt make sure you use salt crystals rather than flakes as they clog up the grinder.

I don't have a good suggestion for pepper grinders. I do like a salt pig for my kosher salt. The ones that look like the smoke stack on an old ocean liner are my favorite.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Peugeot grinders are the best I have come across. I only use one for pepper, I keep maldon sea salt flakes in a dish and use fine sea salt which obviously doesn't require a grinder. If you want one for salt make sure you use salt crystals rather than flakes as they clog up the grinder.

+1 on Peugeot

Thank all of you (except rich :001_tt2:) for the replies.
It looks like peugeot it is, I did a bit of research and there are a few different models out there, are they all about the same quality or is there one in particular that is better then the rest? I am liking this one for looks and the fact that it will fit into my drawer for spice storage. For the salt I am not sure if I should get this guy, a cute little piggy or the same as the peugeot in natural ????????

+X on Peugeot. We have many grinders but in terms of performance, nothing compares to the Peugeot grinding mechanism. There are many who outshine them on design but we've yet to find another that gives such a consistently good grind and hold up over time. And I will say Peugeot has modernized their designs the last few years to better compete. Well worth the money. Oh yeah, the dark wood model you pointed to? We have it in three sizes!

Come to think of it, I have PGRAD! :ohmy:

Thank all of you (except rich :001_tt2:) for the replies.
It looks like peugeot it is, I did a bit of research and there are a few different models out there, are they all about the same quality or is there one in particular that is better then the rest? I am liking this one for looks and the fact that it will fit into my drawer for spice storage. For the salt I am not sure if I should get this guy, a cute little piggy or the same as the peugeot in natural ????????

You really can't go wrong with any of Peugeot mills the primary difference is size and model, the milling mechanism is excellent throughout the line. But sense you're going for quality you may want to check these guys out for peppercorns. Good prices and better than whats in your local supermarket.

As for the salt, do you primarily use rock salt? If so, you need a mill. I only use kosher salt in the kitchen, so the salt pig is nice. The Alton Brown style is good too, and a lid is sometimes nice.

You really can't go wrong with any of Peugeot mills the primary difference is size and model, the milling mechanism is excellent throughout the line. But sense you're going for quality you may want to check these guys out for peppercorns. Good prices and better than whats in your local supermarket.

Penzey's rocks! I had heard of them before, but just recently found out I live about 15 minutes from one of their retail stores.

For kosher and flake salt I use a glass shaker that has a metal lid with largish holes, much like the kind seen in your local Pizza joint for parm and red pepper flakes. Works great, and I think I paid maybe a buck each for them. For sel gris I use a small glass jar and grind what I need in a small mortar and pestle. It's really a finishing salt anyway and too wet for a mill. Besides it grinds so readily that it barely takes a moment.

Metal, plastic or wood body and metal grinder for pepper; metal or plastic body and plastic grinder for salt. Salt can really do a number on metal parts in a high humidity environment like a kitchen.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
A salt grinder is the biggest gimmick you can buy, unlike pepper salt is always going be the same no matter when it it crushed or ground

Top Bottom