What's new

Safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc...?

Most of the available safety razors are made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc and therefore are brittle when exposed to peaks of force.

Are there safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc...?

I would prefer a razor made of something like (stamped?) Brass, Stainless Steel...
I want my razor to outlive me OR at least it should last longer than 15 years :001_rolle *lol*

Thank you for your input!
Any suggestions are welcome. :a14:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Schone oc is made of brass and cost less than $30.00 and is one of my favorite razors.
Schone Gold&Nickel.JPG

It all depends on what you want to spend, or can afford to spend. A vintage Gillette is very affordable and built to last. You can get a slim for around $30 or less, a super speed for under $15,possibly under $10. If you want to spend more, the Rockwell 6S is extremely tempting. If I didn't mind spending that much on a razor, it is the one I would order.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nothing will fare well when dropped on the floor except perhaps a plastic or bakelite job. Hold tight!

A vintage Tech might possibly survive.

Parker is nickel plated brass. I just paid under $14 for a model 52. It's a little aggressive but they have mild ones too. I got my deal from The Modern Man. It shipped free to the US, because I added an item and got the bill above $22. A real deal.

Not yet mentioned lower price segment contemporary brass makes: Weishi 9306 (mild TTO) or Fatip (not at all mild OC).
And then there's a myriad of often not so cheap solid stainless steel DE razors.

Parker is nickel plated brass. I just paid under $14 for a model 52. It's a little aggressive but they have mild ones too. I got my deal from The Modern Man. It shipped free to the US, because I added an item and got the bill above $22. A real deal.

I'm pretty sure the head is zamak, they claim "Handle material: Genuine brass frame", but searching the web there is a general consensus on the TTO and the three piece heads that they are zakak.

Not yet mentioned lower price segment contemporary brass makes: Weishi 9306 (mild TTO) or Fatip (not at all mild OC).
And then there's a myriad of often not so cheap solid stainless steel DE razors.

Love my all brass Fatip Piccolo, fantastic shaver that I've been using for several weeks now. It's actually a pretty smooth easy razor, and very efficient.

My so far favorite razor is iKon X3, which is made out of aluminum. I would not dare to drop it, but at least I know it should not get problem with corrosion. My solution was to get two of them, so if an accident happens, I have one left.

Nothing will fare well when dropped on the floor except perhaps a plastic or bakelite job. Hold tight!

A vintage Tech might possibly survive.
+1. I tend To Drop Things. I've Dropped one Of My Ball End Techs A Couple Of Times With No Damage To It. Ive Also Dropped My Rockwell 6s Once And It Also Survived With No Damage.

I'm pretty sure the head is zamak, they claim "Handle material: Genuine brass frame", but searching the web there is a general consensus on the TTO and the three piece heads that they are zakak.
The blurb on the website said "Combining stainless steel strength with an incredible chrome finish, the razor is among the lightest the company produces."

So, either the description is deceptive (because they refer to the "razor's" strength, not the handle) and i got cheated or the model 52 is not zamak. Not worth contacting the store for the $14.

A previous message on this site said:
"For clarification, I *believe* the Parker 3-piece razors only have brass handles while the heads are pot metal/zamak. Their TTO/Butterfly models are all-brass."

If that's true, the model 52 has a brass head and I wasn't cheated. The discussion is confused and gives no definite answer. There is agreement that the advertising language is deceptive if it's really zamak.

At least I know my Russian Saiver's head is not zamak (it's aluminum).

Last edited:
Top Bottom