What's new

Safety Razor PIF - Merkur 180 and a boar brush!

Hello Gentleman.

This is my first PIF, so bare with me. I sold off some DE stuff recently due to the fact that I have stepped over the line and into the dark side of straight razors. I'm here to stay, however I did keep some of my better shavers that I prefer just in case I ever want to go back and have a nice DE shave.

One item did not sell, the Merkur 180. Because of this, I've decided to PIF it out to a newbie who wants to get into wet shaving but needs a razor. I can't begin to tell you guys how much generosity I have received on these boards. So many members were more than willing to send me things I needed so I can experiment, learn, and broaden my horizons, at NO cost to me. So, this is what I'm going to do. At the end of this month, August 31st, I will pick a random post number in the thread and contact that member. If I can't get in touch with them within 24-48 hours, I will pick someone else. I've never used random.org before, but I see everyone else using it for this so that's what I plan on using. I will ship them this Merkur 180 and at least 3 or 4 packs of different brand blades, maybe more depending on what I can find. I will send them anything else I can find that I no longer use. Oh, I also have a boar brush that someone PIF'd to me that never saw use, so you will get that as well. I don't remember what kind it is, but it's a decent brush. This will be at no cost to the winner. I'd like to keep this CONUS only. Shipping costs out of the country can be a little pricey.

In order to enter, you must NOT own a DE razor yet. I want this to go out to someone that is on a budget and was hesitant to enter this world because of funds, or to someone else who just doesn't have a razor yet but wants to join in on this world of wet shaving. The razor you will get is pictured below. The stand isn't included, that was sold. This is just for the razor, a few packs of blades, a boar brush and anything else I can find that I'm willing to part with.

To enter, just start of by saying "I'm in." Then, write a little something about yourself and how you found out about this. You could tell us how you found B&B, how you heard about wetshaving, why you want to do it, etc. I know this isn't too creative on my part, but I'm not a very creative person. Sorry guys! :lol:

If you think I screwed something up in this PIF, don't agree with something I'm doing, or have any comments that you feel would improve the PIF, feel free to PM me and kindly tell me your thoughts on it.

$merkur 180.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome PIF. I'm a nub - 2 weeks in, but I own a razor. So not in. Just wanted to comment on what an awesome offer that is. Grats to the lucky recipient!

I'm in. I heard about wet shaving on reddit. And a little research showed b&b the place to be to talk about it and learn about it.

Thanks everyone, just want to pay forward some of the kindness and generosity that was given to me.

I'm in. I heard about wet shaving on reddit. And a little research showed b&b the place to be to talk about it and learn about it.

I see you joined in June... what's been keeping you from making the jump to start?

Thanks everyone, just want to pay forward some of the kindness and generosity that was given to me.

I see you joined in June... what's been keeping you from making the jump to start?

Nothing. I'm entering to get some gear for a friend of mine that wants to start wet shaving. I'm broke as a joke or i'd just buy him one of these and a brush to start with.

I am not in... I have a Merkur 180 that use it as my "travel when checking bags" razor. Its a very good mild razor and a very good "starter" DE razor. Thanks for being generous with this PIF and good luck to those "in."

I'm in not because I need one but I have a friend who wants to convert but he's a poor college kid and I'm trying to see if I can help him out. I've been DE shaving for a few weeks and I love it especially because it ended my ingrown hairs and razor burn and I'm hoping to do the same for him!

If it counts to enter with the clear intent to give this to a DE-less friend then I am IN.

Me: I just came here..what..a week ago or so and have learnt SO much...I am so new to all of this that my very first DE shave was this past Saturday and now I have TWO successful shaves under my belt :) Anyway, long story short...my room mate is female and has a boyfriend that I get along with very well and I have bored him to tears these past couple of weeks with tales of shaving, anticipation of my razor, getting the razor and eventually shaving. I showed him my EJ razor the other day and he commented on that it was beautiful and that he didn't even know that 'old things like that still worked...'. Anyway, I showed him the blade in it and how safe it actually is and he got more intrigued. He's been really nice to my roomie so I'd love to be able to give this to him as a gift - and also convince him to sign up on the board and show it off LOL

Passing this on for a friend is fine. You should also encourage that person to come post here! Only a few more days left for this. Glad to see some participation. I'm mailing a slim adjustable down to my buddy who now lives in Florida so he can give DE shaving a try. I don't know if I'll let him keep that one, but I'm hoping to at least spark an interest! He hates shaving just like I did. Now I can't wait to shave every day.

Keep it coming guys!

Update: The brush in this PIF is an excelsior boar brush.

Last edited:
I am in. I first used a safety razor while I was in the army, while I was deployed I couldn't find and cartridges for my razor. I ended up buying some disposable safety razors and was amazed at how close the shave was. Since then I have been using cartridge razors but I have always remembered that shave once I learned how to use the razor. Recently I decided I was going to try DE shaving and see if I could get that super close comfortable shave again. I have been doing research on this site since then. I am still debating on what razor I should get for the money and I know there are some pretty cheap gillettes but I also need money for gear. So I have been saving and researching for my soon to be new hobby.

Thanks for the shot at the PIF. This site is awesome and is a wealth of good information for guys like me, who are looking to discover their most comfortable shave yet.

I am in. I first used a safety razor while I was in the army, while I was deployed I couldn't find and cartridges for my razor. I ended up buying some disposable safety razors and was amazed at how close the shave was. Since then I have been using cartridge razors but I have always remembered that shave once I learned how to use the razor. Recently I decided I was going to try DE shaving and see if I could get that super close comfortable shave again. I have been doing research on this site since then. I am still debating on what razor I should get for the money and I know there are some pretty cheap gillettes but I also need money for gear. So I have been saving and researching for my soon to be new hobby.

Thanks for the shot at the PIF. This site is awesome and is a wealth of good information for guys like me, who are looking to discover their most comfortable shave yet.

Where did you deploy? I was in Iraq in 2009. I wonder if I would have been able to find any wet shaving stuff out there had I known about it? That's interesting. Thank you for your service! If you look in one of the stickies there are links to get the veteran/active duty tags next to your name

I'm in. I am a college student at Clemson University, and I am very interested in the wet shaving community. I did some pricing and determined it costs around 100 bucks to get started with this method of shaving so I have not been able to make the jump yet. I just stumbled upon this thread while looking for a cheap brush and DE razor to start with. I was very surprised to see that people are genuinely willing to help others. This is awesome, please never change that about yourself.

Top Bottom