What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 2/1 – 2/7 The Stahly Live Blade

Thanks. It sounds like they may have made some improvements over time to increase the VPM's. It would be interesting to use one of the newer ones.

Guido, do you suppose that the 3000 VPM as opposed to the 6000 VPM is simply a difference in the way it was stated? In other words, what is a "VPM"? or, what is a "vibration"? Does it mean a full cycle as in an AC sine wave or does a "vibration" imply movement from one extreme position to the other? Or, the movement from the left to the right would be one "vibration" and then the right to left movement would be another "vibration"?

The reason I question this is because of the second number (6000) being exactly doubled from the original number (3000). Did perhaps, Marketing simply convince Engineering that, since 6000 sounded more impressive than 3000, the method of defining a "VPM" needed to be revised? :001_rolle

(Is this my just cynical view of marketing hype showing?) :blush:

Regards,
Tom

Guido, do you suppose that the 3000 VPM as opposed to the 6000 VPM is simply a difference in the way it was stated? In other words, what is a "VPM"? or, what is a "vibration"? Does it mean a full cycle as in an AC sine wave or does a "vibration" imply movement from one extreme position to the other? Or, the movement from the left to the right would be one "vibration" and then the right to left movement would be another "vibration"?

The reason I question this is because of the second number (6000) being exactly doubled from the original number (3000). Did perhaps, Marketing simply convince Engineering that, since 6000 sounded more impressive than 3000, the method of defining a "VPM" needed to be revised? :001_rolle

Regards,
Tom

Extremely possible, Tom. In fact, that very thought crossed my mind as soon as I saw the 6000 VPM declaration. I was just hoping for some kind of positive clarification

D

DRKNTE

I was in an antique store today looking for safety razors and ran across one of these. I even took a picture of it so I could post and find out what it was. The razor was on sale for 25 dollars, worth the effort/buy? Thanks for the write up, oh I picked up some French safety razor for 3 bucks. I'm cleaning it now to shave with it on Monday

VPM might be 3000 per each side of the razor? Hey I'm just thinking like a marketing guy.

Anyhow here is a link to a small take apart I did on Scotts stahly to fix it.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47963

Well, you can't define VPM as anything other than Hertz, so that's what it has to be. If it actually did increase from 50 Hz to 100 Hz is another thing, but it would be quite easy to figure out if one had a oscilloscope, a piezo-pickup and enough Stahlys... :D

If you are ever in South Bend, Indiana, to see the Studebaker Museum you will find a display of the Stahly Live Blade Razors on the second floor, along with other inventions which originated in South Bend. Attached to the museum is the Historical Society which might have additional information about the history of this company.

By the way, the StahlyLive Blade gives a great shave. Not as good as my Mergress, but I think I get a closer and more comfortable shave with the Stahly than I do with my favorite Gillette.

I just picked up one of these on ebay. Does anyone know if I need to put oil into the mechanism and if so what oil should I use? I had a look on the net but can't seem to find any info. so any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Regards,
Tom

I would assume they meant VPM to be "Vibrations per Minute," like rpm is revolutions per minute. Therefore it would seem that they actually increased the power of the mechanical device which created the vibrations. It's all speculation though.

Thanks. It sounds like they may have made some improvements over time to increase the VPM's. It would be interesting to use one of the newer ones.

I believe mine is perhaps one of the last production models made. You may never read this post but if you do, I've just joined and listed this piece on the social group which loans out different razors to try.

Mine is in very different packageing and the instructions are different but kind of the same. (the instructions say 6000/min):biggrin1:

Check it out if you still are wanting to try out a newer model.

I believe mine is perhaps one of the last production models made. You may never read this post but if you do, I've just joined and listed this piece on the social group which loans out different razors to try.

Mine is in very different packageing and the instructions are different but kind of the same. (the instructions say 6000/min):biggrin1:

Check it out if you still are wanting to try out a newer model.

I just tried this one out this evening thanks to tlanning, and got one of the most comfortable shaves ever! I loaded it with a Derby, lathered up with CO Biglow, and took it for a spin. As advised above, I took my time, moving the razor very slowly. 2 passes with touchups and rewarded with a most comfortable shave. Was it the closest shave ever? No, but it a DFS and most definitely was the most comfortable, zero irritation shave ever. Now, I have another razor to be on the look out for! I am just amazed at the comfort of the shave. :biggrin:

I am reviving Guido's most excellent thread because I just got one of these from Steve (thanks!). It is silver and it came in a clear plastic case like the one pictured in Guido's original first post. Any idea of what year this was made?

Sadly, it does not vibrate, but it sure looks interesting.

Somebody was asking about putting a different head on it. While yes, the original heads on these are specially designed with what appears to be sort of a suspension system, I had nice results with a old type gillette head. The thread is too long on it, so I placed a faucet washer in between. It was a nice shave, but then again I'm partial to comb guards.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have had one for a month or two. I finally had my first shave with it the day before yesterday. I am happy with it and look forward to getting more comfortable with it.

I have a very nice one that has a hard leather snap pouch. I don't think mine has ever been used, it works perfectly. I've had it for thirty years, plan on using it someday.

Does anyone have original blades for this razor for sell? I have had mine for over thiry years, but no blades. Would love to get my hands ona few boxes.

Top Bottom