What's new

New guy from Desert Southwest.

I have used Wet Shaver in past, looking to get back in and dump disposables and return to Double Blade Safety Razor.

Have been reading this Forum for month seeking information.

Find many online retailers, but sort of tough in todays world to know good from bad.

Frond one In UK with great prices, but not sure they are good?

Place is called Modern Man UK, any one care to comment?

Been in hunt for Gillette Fatboy, or Slim to restore. Many garage and estate sales where I live. But hunt produced not one.

Did in last 5 years own a 3 piece safety razor, it stopped falling, when it hit my tile floor. It broke, snapping off screw in handle, and stripped thread in plates.

Pot metal & tile don’t like one another.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome to Badger and Blade my friend! I have no experience with the company you mentioned... I wish you well in your search. I found a beautiful Fatboy*giggle* in an antique shoppe for $15 about 4 or 5 years ago. Then I was gifted a Slim a few years ago. Between the two, for me, the Slim is a better choice. Much MUCH better at shaving the moustache area.

Welcome to B&B.

I've had no experience with The Modern Man. Prices are about what I would expect (I'm viewing in GBP). Looks to be a place on an industrial estate in south west Bristol. The registered company named at the bottom of the page (DEVLND) checks out with Companies House at that address, and the domain name looks to have been in use since 2008. Seems legitimate, but I'd always try a low priced order first. New stuff, so unlikely to help with a vintage Gillette, but a reasonable amount of mid-range big names (Merkur / Muhle / Jagger / Parker).

I have used Wet Shaver in past, looking to get back in and dump disposables and return to Double Blade Safety Razor.

Have been reading this Forum for month seeking information.

Find many online retailers, but sort of tough in todays world to know good from bad.

Frond one In UK with great prices, but not sure they are good?

Place is called Modern Man UK, any one care to comment?

Been in hunt for Gillette Fatboy, or Slim to restore. Many garage and estate sales where I live. But hunt produced not one.

there's usually an abundance of decent slims on the bay troll it for a week or two something will likely pop up at a very affordable price. Look carefully at all pictures maybe ask about proper function of that last 1/4 turn if not noted. Best of luck. I'm in the sw too highly recommend cold water shaves at the end of hit summer days.

Welcome, fellow desert dweller!

I found my slim for a fantastic price over on ebay, and sent it to Chris at backroadsgold.com to restore. He did an *incredible* job, couldn't recommend his services enough.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Welcome! As others have observed, there are lots more Slims around than Fatboys and in balance I've observed that most people tend to consider them better shavers all around, especially for detail work - though the FB might be a better investment, as their relative scarcity makes them a bit more valuable. Never shaved with a Fatboy but my Slim is a keeper, and like others I got it for a great price by just watching the auction site and being patient.

However, I would also offer that there are lots of other vintage razors worth keeping an eye out for, with the Gillette Rocket family being a particularly good choice - lots of them about, not too expensive, brilliant quality, and great shavers. I have 3 different ones (Flare-tip, HD and 'Parat') and they are all wonderful. Not adjustable but unless you really don't like mild razors, they are hard to beat for value and quality.

Good luck either way!

Top Bottom