What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Not really. $200 for all of them. I had planned on buying a couple from him and he asked if I was interested in buying them all. He had a bag full of used red flair and blue ones, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I shave with a fatboy this guy sold me a couple years ago and haven't bought many razors since.

Do people use the black handled ones? I bought one long handle and one short handle and left the rest. Should I have picked up the rest of those too?

Just found at a second hand store. My birth year Y4, ball end handle tech. Before cleaning photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had delivered today my most recent acquisitions. A Super Speed and a Flare tip (correct the namings if I got them wrong :)). The flare tip has before and after cleaning pictures:
Before:

View attachment 418356View attachment 418357
After:
View attachment 418358
SuperSpeed:
View attachment 418352
$photo 1.jpg$photo 2.jpg

Last edited:
Do people use the black handled ones? I bought one long handle and one short handle and left the rest. Should I have picked up the rest of those too?

That was a great score, if you are able and willing to pick up Razors, and don't want to keep them all I'm sure there will always be appreciative buyers here.

Cheers.

I think some of them were like that due to the scarcity of metal, almost all metal went to the war effort back then. (WWII) yours has the triangular slots next to the guard bar, so I'm guessing it was late 1930's or early 1940's.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393693298.652978.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393693348.953244.jpg

These two sets arrived just now in the mail. First up is a nice Gillette Pocket set with the original box. That set is from the 1920's I think, the next set is a Gillette Sheraton, in a mismatch case with a blade holder. It looks great with that case, so that's where it will live while I own it. The pocket set is my 7th, but I've never had a Sheraton. I'll be shaving with it soon. Anyway, thanks for letting me show them off, have a good day.

Two good finds today at the local flea market: a Gem 1912 and a Gem Micromatic. The 1912 was in great shape; the Micromatic has some issues with the finish but is still in perfect operation. Had to go buy some SE blades so I can try these gems out (pun fully intended) :)
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393700913.427151.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393700930.909654.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393700939.109554.jpg

My fiancee and I found this mid- 1950's Eames shadow box on Ebay for $58, plus $50 shipping. It was being hung by picture wire until we got it.
The depth is 4", so I cut out the drywall in our master bath to fit it flush with the wall. I had to cut two 2x4 studs and frame up the 2x4's for wall support, as well. The inner frame of it originally was brittle plastic rosettes, but came broken in multiple sections. We broke out the rest of the brittle plastic of the inner frame and found some 2" wide decorative trim at Lowes. I installed it and then painted it. The paint is actually not quite done. I still have some refining to do yet. Maybe add a little more contrasting gold to the bronze section of it or something. A work in progress at this point...
It holds my seven Gillette razors and my fiancee's perfume bottle collection. My razors are a 1953 Gillette President, a 1949-50 Gillette Exectutive, a 1905 Gillette double ring, a 1904 single ring, a 1930's New in rose gold, a 1909 Gillette ABC pocket edition razor- single ring, scroll style, round tooth in silver and a 1930's New ball type-(my fiancee's father's razor).She still has about a half dozen perfume bottles coming in the mail that she wants to add to it... She also loves the look of the razors. Great woman!
I have enclosed several pictures.
Hope you like what we did.

Attachments

• $005.jpg
    $005.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 149
  • $006.jpg
    $006.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 143
  • $007.jpg
    $007.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 143
  • $008.jpg
    $008.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 143
  • $009.jpg
    $009.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 144
A few more pictures...

Attachments

• $010.jpg
    $010.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 136
  • $011.jpg
    $011.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 136
  • $012.jpg
    $012.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 135
  • $013.jpg
    $013.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 136
Although this has nothing to do with razors, I just bought this yesterday. I'm thinking of getting back into creative writing. It was advertised as working well. It looks like it is in great condition. It's coming from Washington state. Can't wait to receive it.
Also, one more razor picture, as some of the previous ones were blurry.

Attachments

• $$(KGrHqFHJBUFBS,7ibH(BRs7GdVgZ!~~60_57.jpg
    $$(KGrHqFHJBUFBS,7ibH(BRs7GdVgZ!~~60_57.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 134
  • $016.jpg
    $016.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Thanks Morman Bridge. The shadow box took several hours to install last weekend.
My fiancee is easy to work with and she was a big help. She also drywalls and tiles.
We've done alot of work on my house in the last two years.
Best I can tell, the typewriter is a circa 1922. It was made toward the later part of the year.
It's date code is 407770-14. It has a 14" carriage.
I was taken by it's look and had to have it. The keys are even glass topped. It was $190, which I thought was reasonable, considering the condition.
Take care!

Last edited:
Thanks Morman Bridge. The shadow box took several hours to install last weekend.
My fiancee is easy to work with and she was a big help. She also drywalls and tiles.
We've done alot of work on my house in the last two years.
Best I can tell, the typewriter is a circa 1922. It was made toward the later part of the year.
It's date code is 407770-14. It has a 14" carriage.
I was taken by it's look and had to have it. The keys are even glass topped. It was $190, which I thought was reasonable, considering the condition.
Take care!

Your fiancé is definitely a keeper. Let us know when you make her into your TWGW.

Picked up this SS Flare Tip (C4) today in pristine condition, never used. It came packaged as part of the Gillette "Fishin' Kit". The blades remain in the original cellophane wrapping. The label in the box advertises "with golden lure and handy bait box". I almost suspect that the two empty compartments held lures originally, but I don't know. Does anyone know that those two empty compartments held? Were they indeed lures, or something else? Whatever, was in those compartments, it seems that an owner somewhere along the way was more interested in those than in the razor, which has never been used.

$flare_c4_fishinkit.jpg

Top Bottom