What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Yaqi Sentinel 1.55 OC arrived today.

1716566015152_1.jpg
1716566015218_1.jpg

I'm a Baili fan. I have their BT131 razor which is my second favorite SB razor... and I like all of their blades that I've tried.

I recently discovered that they now produce a stainless steel razor — the B3. Although it's a DC (strictly against my razor religion) I decided to order it, as reading their description, they consider each side to be a different razor (so basically two single-edge razors in one).

The handle, at 97mm, is way longer than my preferred 75mm length... but it feels good so I'll give it a try.

I hope that wasn't TMI. :blush:

Anyway, the baby arrived today:
Baili-B3-3of5_2024-05-25.jpg

Baili-B3-4of5_2024-05-25.jpg

Baili-B3-5of5_2024-05-25.jpg

I'll just be using the Open Comb side. I'm looking forward to my first shave with it THIS EVENING.* :biggrin:

* And obviously hope that I'm not disappointed.

I picked up quite a few in the past couple of months.

Might be forgetting something but off the top of my head I think this is everything..

- Blackland Sabre V1 (L2 plate)
- Blackland Vector (SB)
- Blackland Osprey
- Blackland Blackbird (SB)
- Gillette Aristocrat, British, third generation, late 40s/early 50s
- Gillette SuperSpeed Flare Tip J3 1964
- Gillette 195 Adjustable "Fatboy" E3 1959
- Gillette Executive Adjustable "Fatboy" F2 1960
- Gillette Senator 1938

All the vintage Gillette are freshly restored now, all got the Back Roads Gold special treatment! All replated in their historically correct nickel or gold. Except for the Senator which I got done in white platinum for a change and looks really great.. nice and bright.

I almost forgot, I also picked up a lovely Ever Ready Streamline set too. The sort of "deluxe" set with the razor, the stropper, the brown leather strop, the cream coloured plastic Ever Ready box, two blade compartments with two packs of original blades unopened, still in original paper. Everything indicates that it has never been used. All pieces look to be in new condition. The plastic box was even inside an original card box which seems to have protected it. I got it from a charity store for what I thought was a quite reasonable price of just a bit under £50, especially as it seems to have never actually been used.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Ever Ready Streamline set too. The sort of "deluxe" set with the razor, the stropper, the brown leather strop, the cream coloured plastic Ever Ready box, two blade compartments with two packs of original blades unopened, still in original paper.

I believe the correct nomenclature is to describe all such razors as an 'Ever Ready Chromium Razor' and there are two distinct types - first and second generation. As with many Gillette razors, it is the box or packaging that makes the set and defines the set name. Some describe them all with the generic name 'Streamline', but an actual Streamline is a Chromium Razor in a specific tapered ivory coloured clamshell case. The same razor in a different case could be an Ambassador, or a first or second generation Strop Set which it sounds like you have. The Jewel name specifically refers to the Ever Ready Chromium Razor in the silver metal case which is the version I own. Congratulations, it is a fantastic razor.

I believe the correct nomenclature is to describe all such razors as an 'Ever Ready Chromium Razor' and there are two distinct types - first and second generation. As with many Gillette razors, it is the box or packaging that makes the set and defines the set name. Some describe them all with the generic name 'Streamline', but an actual Streamline is a Chromium Razor in a specific tapered ivory coloured clamshell case. The same razor in a different case could be an Ambassador, or a first or second generation Strop Set which it sounds like you have. The Jewel name specifically refers to the Ever Ready Chromium Razor in the silver metal case which is the version I own. Congratulations, it is a fantastic razor.

Thank you for that! Yes, I had been wondering about that. I'm not too up to date on them at all so all these little bits of information are much appreciated. I had came to the conclusion that the Streamline name was used in that way!

On the front of the card box it says "Ever Ready Razor" Then below in a blue ribbon style it says "New Chrome Strop Outfit". So, they are chrome plated? Brass underneath I'm guessing?

I'd been looking online and I'd saw they had two generations of that strop set (I think the actual razors heads there are three generations?) From what I gather, my strop set is the second generation strop set. I'd found an old post on the forums with pictures and it suggested mine is the latter version strop set.

I believe the other one, the earlier version, it has more of a flat front and more horizontal style "Ever Ready" font on the cream plastic box.. wheras mine, the latter type has the sort of wonky, "S" style font straight down the centre and vertical, raised sections. Sorry, not the best description I know. 🤭

Do you have any even rough figures for the years these sets were in production? Just wondered out of curiosity when or for how long they were sold for. Thanks again!

I've been spending a little too much time on eBay lately, and here's the first to arrive.

1965-ish Schick "Pre-Krona" Variant 1:

1000003164.jpg
1000003163.jpg
1000003162.jpg

This version is a little harder to find, but the asking price was still stupidly reasonable. Looking forward to some more groovy Jet Age shavery.

I'm going back in time for the next couple arrivals. Stay tuned...

Thank you for that! Yes, I had been wondering about that. I'm not too up to date on them at all so all these little bits of information are much appreciated. I had came to the conclusion that the Streamline name was used in that way!

On the front of the card box it says "Ever Ready Razor" Then below in a blue ribbon style it says "New Chrome Strop Outfit". So, they are chrome plated? Brass underneath I'm guessing?

I'd been looking online and I'd saw they had two generations of that strop set (I think the actual razors heads there are three generations?) From what I gather, my strop set is the second generation strop set. I'd found an old post on the forums with pictures and it suggested mine is the latter version strop set.

I believe the other one, the earlier version, it has more of a flat front and more horizontal style "Ever Ready" font on the cream plastic box.. wheras mine, the latter type has the sort of wonky, "S" style font straight down the centre and vertical, raised sections. Sorry, not the best description I know. 🤭

Do you have any even rough figures for the years these sets were in production? Just wondered out of curiosity when or for how long they were sold for. Thanks again!
Here is a picture of mine, although obviously in more user grade condition. My understanding is that mine is a second generation with the smaller lather holes on the bottom, dating to “early 50’s”, where the first generation has larger channels and dates to the “30’s”. There is also a GEM version. Quotes are because I am only regurgitating “facts” that I remember 😁

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Here is a picture of mine, although obviously in more user grade condition. My understanding is that mine is a second generation with the smaller lather holes on the bottom, dating to “early 50’s”, where the first generation has larger channels and dates to the “30’s”. There is also a GEM version. Quotes are because I am only regurgitating “facts” that I remember 😁
1-IMG_20231224_170504~2.jpg

^ Gem
same guy started gem, ever ready and another, he just cracked a darky, left, and started a new company, then bought back all three an merged them, same razors, same patterns, just different brand names.

IMG_2011_01_03_3506EVER READY.JPG

^ Ever read christmas gift set, playing cards [sealed] and razor [nos]

1-IMG_20230910_184409_HDR~2.jpg

^ Now this one may throw a fox in the hen house :w00t:

Part 2 of my eBay flurry.

1919 Gillette Single Ring.

2024-05-30 17.18.20.jpg
2024-05-30 17.18.37.jpg
2024-05-30 17.19.14.jpg
2024-05-30 17.20.07.jpg

It was inaccurately labeled by the seller and didn't come with the case or accessories, so I got it for a song. The box would just sit in a drawer, anyway, so this was perfect.

Based on the lone blurry auction picture, I figured I might have to put it through the baking soda/aluminum foil bath. But, well, there's not enough silver plating left to bother. It's a shaver, not a museum piece. Exactly what I wanted.

I haven't seen a picture of one with this much plating gone, so I wonder whether some previous owner tried to polish it with an abrasive. I like the look, though--it has Seen Some Things.

More importantly: I could see that the teeth were straight from the auction picture, but I was worried about the cap and plate being straight. Both are perfectly straight, and this thing clamps down tight on a blade like nobody's business.

I fitted in an Astra SP to test it and was thinking I'd have to fidget with the alignment on the pins. Nope. Not an ounce of play, and that blade is extremely snug when clamped. My decade-old 34C has tons of alignment wiggle on the pins, by comparison.

You can't drive a 1919 Model T down the freeway, but you can absolutely shave with this 1919 beauty. And I will!

Top Bottom