What's new

Safety bar VS OC for longer stubble

I tried a couple of oc razors and the combs always felt a bit rough to me on my face. I only saved safety bar razors now....the oc got sold.

I tried a couple of oc razors and the combs always felt a bit rough to me on my face. I only saved safety bar razors now....the oc got sold.
Yep. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try them out and see what works best for you. I'll get there eventually. Have a number of razors to experiment with, so I'll figure it out in time.

Minor update:

Been shaving every-other day and my face is very happy.

Moved from the Merkur 34c after around 10 shaves to a Gillette gold ball-end Tech and loving the results. Three-pass shave with touch up and I don't think I've ever had a better shave.

I'm still interested in the OC razors for those times I go 3-4 days between shaves but right now things are going well enough that I look forward to shsving.

Every day? Hmmmmmm.......

Maybe I'm wrong about this but it seems like the safety bar wipes the shaving lather away before the blade cuts the hair. I would rather have the lather there when the blade cuts the hair. That's why I prefer OC razors.

It's more of a personal preference rather than which one is better or superior. I have no problems using open comb razors, but I don't like razors with prickly/toothy combs like the Old Type and to some degree the NEW Short Comb.

There are plenty of mild and not very efficient open comb razors as well as very aggressive and super efficient razors with solid bars, so the notion that open comb means super aggressive and crazy efficient is not true at all.

Most agree that the open comb lets more lather to stay on the face, but many believe that you leave lather lines when you shave with an open comb razor, you're angle is incorrect. So which one is true then? Are open comb razors really designed to leave more lather behind or they only do that if they are clogged or not used correctly?

Bottom line is - use whatever gives you the best results.

Top Bottom