What's new

Rye recommendations

Many of the rye whiskeys on the market are distilled and aged by MGP (Midwest Grain Products) in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, then bought in bulk, bottled and relabeled. Nothing wrong with that, as MGP's rye, especially their 95% rye mashbill, is really good stuff. But many of the brands that buy and relabel MGP whiskey are less than forthcoming about the source of their product. And, since rye whiskey has become such a fad, it is good to know what you're paying for. The rye brands that are sourced from MGP include, among others, Bulleit, Redemption, Rebel Yell, Templeton, James Pepper, Whistle Pig and a whole boatload of "craft" labels.

Personally, my go-to rye is George Dickel Rye, which is 95% rye mashbill juice that Dickel sources from MGP (and is up front in disclosing that) and then puts through the Lincoln County charcoal filtration process. It is excellent whiskey that comes in at $20 a bottle here in the control state of Oregon. That is considerably less (or in the case of some of the craft labels, a whole lot less) money than most of the other MGP ryes from other labels. Buyer beware.
I was planning to mention the same thing regarding MGP. Excellent rye juice. Any on that list would be perfect for a spicy rye fan. Rossville Union is another MGP bottle, but may run a bit higher. I also enjoyed Pikesville rye, but it's a 51% rye so not as spicy.

Many of the rye whiskeys on the market are distilled and aged by MGP (Midwest Grain Products) in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, then bought in bulk, bottled and relabeled. Nothing wrong with that, as MGP's rye, especially their 95% rye mashbill, is really good stuff. But many of the brands that buy and relabel MGP whiskey are less than forthcoming about the source of their product. And, since rye whiskey has become such a fad, it is good to know what you're paying for. The rye brands that are sourced from MGP include, among others, Bulleit, Redemption, Rebel Yell, Templeton, James Pepper, Whistle Pig and a whole boatload of "craft" labels.

Personally, my go-to rye is George Dickel Rye, which is 95% rye mashbill juice that Dickel sources from MGP (and is up front in disclosing that) and then puts through the Lincoln County charcoal filtration process. It is excellent whiskey that comes in at $20 a bottle here in the control state of Oregon. That is considerably less (or in the case of some of the craft labels, a whole lot less) money than most of the other MGP ryes from other labels. Buyer beware.

Rossville Union Straight Rye Whiskey is one of MGP;s bottlings but its 43.00 USD here... Bulleit and Redemption much cheaper in FL.

Florida has no state control, they only require that Liquor be sold in a separate store. Wine and Beer can be bought in grocery and convenience stores. When I lived in PA. they controlled all wine and spirits sales, so familiar with a control state and how they work. Not a bad deal but it can limit stock for specialty liquor...

I was planning to mention the same thing regarding MGP. Excellent rye juice. Any on that list would be perfect for a spicy rye fan. Rossville Union is another MGP bottle, but may run a bit higher. I also enjoyed Pikesville rye, but it's a 51% rye so not as spicy.

Sorry @ByMyBeard I was still on first page of thread replying to @Spang. When it posted, I advanced to the number two page and read you already mentioned Rossville and price.

Attention to all interested parties: Evan was the original poster, I am but a lowly follower of his recommendation. That is all.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I schemed for years to finally get next to a bottle of Old Portrero. That set the bar for me for a couple years but it was a darn expensive bar! Only bought it by the double in a little country bar I used to attend.

I've had most of the ones listed. My current favourite is Lot No. 40:

1631053200810.png

Made by Hiram Walker Canada. It's all-rye and very smooth. Of course, being in Canada I can get it easily, but my son who lives in Oregon can get it there. It's so good I never mix it with anything -- I'll use Old Overcoat :) for that.

O.H.

Sorry @ByMyBeard I was still on first page of thread replying to @Spang. When it posted, I advanced to the number two page and read you already mentioned Rossville and price.

Attention to all interested parties: Evan was the original poster, I am but a lowly follower of his recommendation. That is all.
No worries, I don't need any credit for good whiskey. Now, a glass of it on the other hand...

High West Double Rye is spicy and delicious but a bit on the pricey side. Makes a fantastic manhattan. George Dickle as mentioned above is delicious, nice spice, and cheap. My go to is Old Overholt, good, tasty and very cheap.

If you are looking to branch out in your vermouth exploration for manhattans, I recommend La Copa, a Spanish vermouth from Gonzales and Byass. Deep, rich, delicious.

High West Rendesvous Rye is also a good option. It's a less costly version from them. Probably should add it to your list.
Isn't the Rendesvous bottling more expensive? I haven't bought it but I remember looking at it when getting the double rye and Rendesvous was at least 50% more.

I know I’m pretty late to this thread, but if you’re in Maryland the Baltimore Spirits Company makes rye whiskey 100% distilled in Baltimore. It’s spicy but smooth, not harsh at all, ideal for sipping. Their special releases (maple syrup barrel, toasted barrel) are delicious. All the special releases are now three years old; the regular rye is two. Highly recommend!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Several folk have mentioned Old Overholt. Anyone tried their higher proof expression?

Top Bottom