What's new

Rye recommendations

I use rye almost exclusively for Manhattans. I can usually get Bulliet or Woodford Reserve for less than $21. Jim Beam is a suitable sub.
FCB6FB04-66C7-45D4-B8BE-01C7A8BD3C71.jpeg
FCB6FB04-66C7-45D4-B8BE-01C7A8BD3C71.jpeg
5AF8C893-A337-4468-A944-B31A9A22CD3B.jpeg

Last edited:
I am fortunate to have retiree benefits a
Love bulleit! Both Bulleit and WR are over 30 here.
I am fortunate to have retiree benefits at the post exchange down at Ft. Bliss in El Paso. Every month, they have one of my favorites on sale for less than $22. BT, WR, Bulliet, Elijah Craig, 1792, Knob Creek, Makers Mark or Gentleman Jack. We can also go off base to Spec’s or Total Wine which always seem to be in some kind of price war. Looking forward to the reopening of the border for cheap south of the border liquor opportunities.

Last edited:
Many of the rye whiskeys on the market are distilled and aged by MGP (Midwest Grain Products) in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, then bought in bulk, bottled and relabeled. Nothing wrong with that, as MGP's rye, especially their 95% rye mashbill, is really good stuff. But many of the brands that buy and relabel MGP whiskey are less than forthcoming about the source of their product. And, since rye whiskey has become such a fad, it is good to know what you're paying for. The rye brands that are sourced from MGP include, among others, Bulleit, Redemption, Rebel Yell, Templeton, James Pepper, Whistle Pig and a whole boatload of "craft" labels.

Personally, my go-to rye is George Dickel Rye, which is 95% rye mashbill juice that Dickel sources from MGP (and is up front in disclosing that) and then puts through the Lincoln County charcoal filtration process. It is excellent whiskey that comes in at $20 a bottle here in the control state of Oregon. That is considerably less (or in the case of some of the craft labels, a whole lot less) money than most of the other MGP ryes from other labels. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom