What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

Random thought #15: I have always been surprised at the short handles on many of the vintage Gillette razors. With the exception of the Big Fellow and the long handled Super adjustable Black Beauty (and maybe a couple of others), most are short handled...and some, like the Gillette travel razor, was designed for a 5 year old hand, not the hand of an adult male.

I prefer a long handled razor. It just feels better in my hand and I feel it is easier to control. My daily DE razor is a Fendrihan closed comb DE...with a long handle. See picture below for a comparison between the Fendrihan and a Fat Handle Tech. The modern cartridge razor seems to be have figured out the size of an average male's hand...since most are long handled.
20181217_091852.jpg

Random thought #16: I have several shaving routines. For example, I do the Shave of the Week Society routine, selecting one soap and using it for the week. I find I really get to know the properties of a soap if I use it for several days in a row.

I have another routine I really enjoy. I have a large and growing collection of vintage straight razors that I have restored and honed. I select two razors and use those for my weekend shaves. Every Saturday and Sunday I do a full straight razor shave with all the pre and post shave bells and whistles. On weekends I feel less rushed and can take my time and enjoy the old school way of shaving like my grandfather used to do. Weekdays, I use a DE, and enjoy the old school way of shaving like my father used to do. :001_smile

Random thought #16: For example, I do the Shave of the Week Society routine, selecting one soap and using it for the week. I find I really get to know the properties of a soap if I use it for several days in a row.

Every Saturday and Sunday I do a full straight razor shave with all the pre and post shave bells and whistles. :001_smile

I have a soap of the phase routine. I'll use one soap for pre-lather/hot towel cycle, and different soap for shave. The pre-lather will most likely be a soap not conducive to SR shaving, but pleasant aroma and/or face conditioning properties. I also use different brushes for both, and a third brush for Noxzema application. That brush I am hoping something changes about it, perhaps making it something I would want to face lather with, or having all the bristles fall out so I would throw it away/re-knot it :) The shave soap changes daily, pre-shave every 2-3 days. I am currently doing full 2 pass SR shaves every day, except occasionally on the weekend. Bells and whistles both pre and post shave.

Our routines are almost identical!
identically opposite that is :)

I have a soap of the phase routine. I'll use one soap for pre-lather/hot towel cycle, and different soap for shave. The pre-lather will most likely be a soap not conducive to SR shaving, but pleasant aroma and/or face conditioning properties. I also use different brushes for both, and a third brush for Noxzema application. That brush I am hoping something changes about it, perhaps making it something I would want to face lather with, or having all the bristles fall out so I would throw it away/re-knot it :) The shave soap changes daily, pre-shave every 2-3 days. I am currently doing full 2 pass SR shaves every day, except occasionally on the weekend. Bells and whistles both pre and post shave.

Our routines are almost identical!
identically opposite that is :)
Very interesting. I also tend to use a preshave cream, usually Proraso green or white, for my SR shaves, but not usually for a DE shave. For SR shaves I notice a big difference when I use a preshave cream. I have used a hot towel and lather as a preshave, but it's not a regular for me. It does a nice job though. I should do a Random Thought on preshave routines.

Very interesting. I also tend to use a preshave cream, usually Proraso green or white, for my SR shaves, but not usually for a DE shave. For SR shaves I notice a big difference when I use a preshave cream. I have used a hot towel and lather as a preshave, but it's not a regular for me. It does a nice job though. I should do a Random Thought on preshave routines.

I don't normally shower before. I shower at the gym. So I Noxzema/hot towel/lather/hot towel/DIY pre-shave oil or Green Proraso cream/hot towel. I recline in a chair and watch the news while doing this :)

I don't normally shower before. I shower at the gym. So I Noxzema/hot towel/lather/hot towel/DIY pre-shave oil or Green Proraso cream/hot towel. I recline in a chair and watch the news while doing this :)
That is pretty cool...a reclining chair and TV in your bathroom!:a14:

Random thought #17: For those of us who don't have unlimited funds we do need to be mindful of shipping costs when we place our online orders. I learned long ago that buying something from the US of A brought with it some hefty additional charges like exchange rates, international shipping and sometimes other handling charges. A few pucks of soap could bring with it sticker shock. So -- sadly I might add -- I stopped cross border shopping. Simply due to all the extra costs associated with an order.

Now I only buy from Canadian online vendors. But even there, in order to qualify for free shipping you often have to purchase in amounts of $50, $60 or more. So I often have to save up a list of items I need before I place an order. So before I buy that new soap I have my eye on, I wait until I also need more alum, Lucky Tiger, a new brush, etc. I find adding a couple of bars of bath soap for my wife to get my over the required minimum purchase price serves to kill two birds with one stone.

So now when a package arrives and she says, "Now what did you buy? More soaps? How many soaps and brushes does one guy need?" I can say, "Wait. What's this? They added some of your favourite bath soaps to this order! Now how did that happen?" (Works every time by the way).

Maybe if I won the lottery I would be more carefree about what I order, but for now, with money being tight, I have to watch my pennies. I keep telling myself to think about all the money I have saved by switching to traditional wet shaving. I wish I could source all my wetshaving needs at the local drug store.

Random Thought #18: There are many tough questions that we are faced with in life, but no question is more difficult than "balm or splash?" No doubt our shelves are lined with several of each. But I have found that in the same way a guy either prefers Coke or Pepsi most guys will either prefer a balm or splash. I generally prefer a balm, mostly because my ageing skin can use all the moisturizer it can get. Especially now that winter is settling in for a few months using a good moisturizer post-shave is really important. I have many on my shelf, but there are a select few that I reach for on a regular basis. Top of the shelf is Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort, followed closely by Soap Commander Integrity and Hawkins and Brimble. Bringing up the rear is Nivea Sensitive...always a treat to use and inexpensive compared to the ones I listed above. And, the best part is, it can be found just about anywhere.

Random Thought #18: There are many tough questions that we are faced with in life, but no question is more difficult than "balm or splash?" No doubt our shelves are lined with several of each. But I have found that in the same way a guy either prefers Coke or Pepsi most guys will either prefer a balm or splash. I generally prefer a balm, mostly because my ageing skin can use all the moisturizer it can get. Especially now that winter is settling in for a few months using a good moisturizer post-shave is really important. I have many on my shelf, but there are a select few that I reach for on a regular basis. Top of the shelf is Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort, followed closely by Soap Commander Integrity and Hawkins and Brimble. Bringing up the rear is Nivea Sensitive...always a treat to use and inexpensive compared to the ones I listed above. And, the best part is, it can be found just about anywhere.
Our anti-similarity continues:) I prefer splashes, unless I had a bad shave. Might change when its cold and blustery for more than a day or two, but not happening this year, not here at least. Pinaud Clubman is my go to. On hot days a menthol is nice, Blades for Men(CVS) Arctic Blue is the only non-DIY I've tried.

Our anti-similarity continues:) I prefer splashes, unless I had a bad shave. Might change when its cold and blustery for more than a day or two, but not happening this year, not here at least. Pinaud Clubman is my go to. On hot days a menthol is nice, Blades for Men(CVS) Arctic Blue is the only non-DIY I've tried.
I have three splashes: Pinaud Clubman, vintage Old Spice, and Nivea Replenishing Splash. And I do enjoy all three...just not very often.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I went about 20 years without using an aftershave lotion (splash), and only tried again with them very recently. I've got a couple of cheapo pharmacy own brand ones, and I've also dabbled with making my own. I don't use them every shave, and don't see a huge amount of benefit from them. Balm on the other hand, is a staple item here, and I always have at least one in the bathroom. It only gets used when needed, if I shave a little too close, or pick up a little irritation for some reason. If balm is required, then balm is used. There's never really a specific "requirement" for lotion, but I'll use some if I'm in the mood.

I went about 20 years without using an aftershave lotion (splash), and only tried again with them very recently. I've got a couple of cheapo pharmacy own brand ones, and I've also dabbled with making my own. I don't use them every shave, and don't see a huge amount of benefit from them. Balm on the other hand, is a staple item here, and I always have at least one in the bathroom. It only gets used when needed, if I shave a little too close, or pick up a little irritation for some reason. If balm is required, then balm is used. There's never really a specific "requirement" for lotion, but I'll use some if I'm in the mood.
I also spent most of my shaving life without any post shave product. Maybe a bit of coconut oil in the winter. It's only since I was bitten by the bug in the past few years that I started enjoying various products. I often envy those guys that just pick up some drugstore AS brands like Brut or Aqua Velva and slap it on. Unfortunately I work in an industry where scented products are a no-no. I like most ASBs because they moisturize and the scent is mild and only lingers for a hour or so.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I often envy those guys that just pick up some drugstore AS brands like Brut or Aqua Velva and slap it on. Unfortunately I work in an industry where scented products are a no-no.

That's why I started looking at making my own. Alcohol, aloe vera, and witch hazel. Just enough essential oil to stop it being too clinical, but not enough so you're carrying the scent all day. Different motivation here though. I want my scent to come from choosing an EdT, and want an aftershave which doesn't impede on that.

That's why I started looking at making my own. Alcohol, aloe vera, and witch hazel. Just enough essential oil to stop it being too clinical, but not enough so you're carrying the scent all day. Different motivation here though. I want my scent to come from choosing an EdT, and want an aftershave which doesn't impede on that.
Interesting. What brands do you use? There are various brands of WH and aloe Vera on the market. Alcohol is pretty standard. And what EO do you use? I would like to try making my own AS.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting. What brands do you use? There are various brands of WH and aloe Vera on the market. Alcohol is pretty standard. And what EO do you use? I would like to try making my own AS.

I'm still dabbling with it at the moment, so don't ask me for ratios :D

The witch hazel is generic drugstore stuff, mine is Care+ and the aloe vera is by Aloe Pura. The essential oils I have are Rosemary, Sweet Orange, Frankincense, Cedarwood and Nutmeg.

I'm still dabbling with it at the moment, so don't ask me for ratios :D

The witch hazel is generic drugstore stuff, mine is Care+ and the aloe vera is by Aloe Pura. The essential oils I have are Rosemary, Sweet Orange, Frankincense, Cedarwood and Nutmeg.
I understand about the ratios...something you have to fiddle with to get it right. I asked about brands because it took me a while to figure out that most Witch Hazel you buy at Walmart or the local drugstore is not pure WH but a blend of WH and alcohol. I buy my WH at a natural food store and the label reads 100% pure WH, no alcohol added. Same with aloe vera. It hard to find just plain aloe Vera without different additives. The EOs you list sound like a nice blend.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I understand about the ratios...something you have to fiddle with to get it right. I asked about brands because it took me a while to figure out that most Witch Hazel you buy at Walmart or the local drugstore is not pure WH but a blend of WH and alcohol. I buy my WH at a natural food store and the label reads 100% pure WH, no alcohol added. Same with aloe vera. It hard to find just plain aloe Vera without different additives. The EOs you list sound like a nice blend.

Yeah, my witch hazel has alcohol, but as I'll be mixing it with more alcohol, I consider it a moot point :) The aloe is pure though, well 99.9% pure according to the label. The essential oils took me a while to choose. I wanted ones I could mix in any combination, and these seem to do the trick.

WH is extracted using alcohol. "No alcohol added" is often a misleading statement in extracted items to charge upscale prices for the normal item. I would check the ingredients list if you haven't. Thayer's "alcohol-free", is a pretty definitive statement, but it's more expensive, smaller bottles are actually at least half water to WH ratio. Thayer's is closer to an actual AS than straight WH. Don't get me wrong, I like Thayer's, but I do mix 50/50 with WH. Both to up the WH, and a great cost reduction. Matter of fact. Just noticed 2 "flavors" at their site I'd like to try. Coconut water, and medicated. Camphor, Eucalyptus, and Peppermint oil. They would sell a lot more of that I imagine if they would use two line description:
Medicated
Menthol

Top Bottom