What's new

Rust on my razor?

So I somehow have rust developing inside the face plate of my SS. I tried brushing it off with a toothbrush and toothpaste. I don't know what to do! Has this happened to anyone else?

=*(**

It is not the razor as they can't rust. Whatever blades you are using are rusting, which is very uncommon unless you use carbon steel blades or you have unusual water conditions. Either dry the blade after use or swish it in alcohol to displace the water.

Last edited:
It is not the razor as they can't rust. Whatever blades you are using are rusting, which is very uncommon unless you use carbon steel blades or you have unusual water conditions. Either dry the blade after use or swish it in alcohol to displace the water.

+1 If the blade did rust or develop some other gunk that stained the nickel finish, try some scrubbing bubbles or other mild cleaner and a toothbrush...it should come right off.

cc

I am using the 10 pack from wal-mart.

Hope the bubbles work as this is my favorite and only razor.

Thanks for all the advice.

Common in the SE world - Gems, Ever-Readys, stars - because many of the blades used are Carbon Steel rather than stainless.

Carbon is harder, but rusts easier. Lots of straights use it too, so its not a problem per se.

A toothbrush and scrubbing bubbles. If it were really bad, you could use a diluted CLR solution - but on a gillette, I doubt you'd need it.

If it bugs you and you love the blades, pat them dry after shaving. Or find another blade via a sample pack from one of the many vendors here.

I got rid of some rust on one of mine with CLR and a toothbrush. CLR is pretty strong, so I rinsed it off as soon as the rust went away and it was fine. Good luck :)

Top Bottom