What's new

Next Step to Cleaning Old Razor?

My friend gave me an old DE razor that had been sitting in his garage for decades. It was very grimy and had some rust and mold. I did the best I could scrubbing with a toothbrush with Dawn, baking soda, lemon juice, and toothpaste at varying times. It has been sanitized and is a great shaver, but I would like to get it prettier because the wife won't let me keep it in the bathroom. LOL

Any suggestions?
IMG_20231228_081859741.jpg
IMG_20231228_081918009.jpg

I'd try CLR on a Q-tip. That's an aggressive product, but you can just put a bit on the dark spots, and wait, and rinse or toothbrush it off.

Coca-Cola may also work; phosphoric acid is one of the ingredients in the classic formula.

If those spots are corrosion that's gone through the plating, you'll have a little pit remaining.

Scrubbing Bubbles brand spray-foam cleaner. I spray it on, let it sit for 30 minutes, then scrub with a toothbrush. That will get all the grime off.... looks like you still have some there.

MAAS or Flitz metal polish a pretty safe for razors and will polish them up without taking the plating off.

Dawn, Scrubbing Bubbles, and MAAS are my go to products that I use to clean every razor I buy used.

MAAS or Flitz metal polish a pretty safe for razors and will polish them up without taking the plating off.

Dawn, Scrubbing Bubbles, and MAAS are my go to products that I use to clean every razor I buy used.
Yep, MAAS & Flitz will polish it up nicely. Be careful, don't polish the plating off! Let us know how works for you! Hi KJ!

Any suggestions?
Plus one for Back Roads Gold to get it replated if you are really attached to this particular razor. If you are not attached, it would be much cheaper to buy another in pristine condition. If you are patient you could get 4 or more in great condition for what it would cost to have this one replated. I would just use this one as is, but in the end it is up to you to decide.

Try "Bar Keeper's Friend", which is similar to Ajax in texture. I bought a can of it at Kroger for less than $5 after reading a thread about it on B&B.

Pour some out, add water to make a paste or slurry, then use a toothbrush and a rag.

But a $60 replate would be the thing to do.

know anyone that reloads ammo?

get clean corncob media and do that for a couple of house. The more aggressive media may be ok for 30 minutes-ish but you’d want to follow up with the less aggressive for finer polishing.

white than red rouge for the top cap On a buffing wheel. I’m 99% sure a lot of eBay flippers Polish the chrome down pretty hard that way but you can be gentle .

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It has been sanitized and is a great shaver, but I would like to get it prettier because the wife won't let me keep it in the bathroom. LOL
I had to fight for my razors to stay in two cupboards/cabinets ins the bathroom, I can hear you.

I can't help with restoration, my mother used to collect antiquities and while I was always recruited to help bringing old furniture back to looking nice, a razor or similar item was never among her collection.

I avoid the problem by buying new razors ideally made of stainless steel, I try to avoid having to work on brass razors. My Timeless bronze razor already starts developing patina between two teeth.

I had to fight for my razors to stay in two cupboards/cabinets ins the bathroom, I can hear you.

I can't help with restoration, my mother used to collect antiquities and while I was always recruited to help bringing old furniture back to looking nice, a razor or similar item was never among her collection.

I avoid the problem by buying new razors ideally made of stainless steel, I try to avoid having to work on brass razors. My Timeless bronze razor already starts developing patina between two teeth.
I also have a Timeless Bronze and fight The Battle of Patina in The Entropy War.

At first, I used...
20231230_115900~2.jpg

But both seemed to take a lot of effort.

Then, after reading a thread on B&B, I tried...
20231230_115914~2.jpg

And that stuff blew me away. With half the effort, my Timeless Bronze was restored pretty close to how it looked when I first unboxed it.

A Soft Toothbrush, and Toothpaste will work to shine up.

Replaying is also way to restore, but if you have deep pits, or wear.

Only way to bring back to life like new is sanding or polishing out pits & wear.

Scrubbing Bubbles brand spray-foam cleaner. I spray it on, let it sit for 30 minutes, then scrub with a toothbrush. That will get all the grime off.... looks like you still have some there.

^This. Flitz, Maas, and Mother's Metal Polish are finer abrasives that will work very well. Never-Dull is a chemical/cloth polish that is gentler still.

I'm not sure what you & the Mrs. shaved with prior to your vintage interest, but as far as holding gunk & bacteria, plastics are far worse. Rinse your razor after each use & rub with damp cloth & toothpaste once a month or so, and it will be a quite attractive set-piece.

Replating will look better/newer and will be easier to clean, in the future. Another vote for Backroads.👍

A warning for Barkeeper's Friend:

. . . the "Soft Cleanser" version warns:

. . . . "Contains micro-abrasives".

CLR or plain oxalic acid powder (which will dissolve brown rust spots on stainless steel - make a paste, apply, wait a few minutes, wipe off) might be better for highly-polished razors.

i was thinking about doing a bathroom renovation, and using BathFitters (molded acrylic, I think) for a shower stall. I looked over the "approved cleaning products", which had several "lime-removal" products, and didn't see "Scrubbing Bubbles". Why not?

. . . "Scrubbing Bubbles has an abrasive. It will dull the surface."

. Charles

Great recommendations above! And there is no ‘correct‘ answer.

I would go the Scrubbing Bubbles route, then decide if I wanted to replate. But that’s me.

Top Bottom