What's new

Rust and white residue on middle screw of the cap

BTW the white residue is not helped by the common use of stainless steel and brass handles with zinc heads, typically chromium plated. The combination of dissimilar metals in contact with each other and with a contaminated moisture electrolyte can set up a galvanic electrochemical reaction that will damage one of the metals, eating it away. For best longevity the handle and head should be the same material.

Hello. I have this safety razor from Edwin Jagger http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Ja..._2496.html. I have it for 2 and a half years now. I have noticed that on the middle screw of the cap I have some white residue and some rust. Maybe the residue is from hard water. I leave the razor and the brush on a stand in the bathroom. Maybe this has something to do with it. I also clean it with a toothbrush and liquid detergent. Any advice on how ot get rid of the white stuff and rust?
After 6 years of fairly regular use (I shave daily and used it about 80% of the time), my Edwin Jagger DE89 failed. The threads had corroded to the point that they no longer attached firmly to the handle. While it's unfortunate that it failed, I was able to purchase a new one from themodernman.co.uk for $22.20 shipped to the US. I'm OK with $22 every 6 years, since I still prefer my DE89 to any of my other razors, including my all stainless steel Feather AS-D1 and my vintage Gillette black beauty.

Why brass was typically plated. All Gillette razors from 1904 first production on were plated with silver, gold or later Nickel or chrome to protect the brass. Plating does wear and brass can corrode but brass can be replated where Zamak and other zinc alloys cannot be so far as I know. The old brass razors were not expected by the makers to last indefinitely but many have lasted for a lifetime or longer. Other millions have worn out though and vanished. Some of the worn out ones show up on bid sites at ridiculous prices too.
As with cheaper aluminum alloys, replating is functionally impossible. Zinc is highly reactive to acid; acid eats it very efficiently. So the first step in replating would destroy the head.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

I didn't want to be overly contrary, but I was thinking that about brass razors myself.

No one's ever seen a pitted green vintage razor? Not too many metals out there are actually "forever" materials. They last in accordance with the quality of care afforded.

I'm still weary of trying aluminum tho...

I've cleaned green off of many brass razors only to find a very nice razor under it. Brass, bronze, and copper are used unplated, and uncoated for exterior purposes because it will last for centuries that way. The statue of Liberty, tens of thousands of other statues, copper roofs, light fixtures, lawn and garden ornaments, many Capitol domes, all stand as testament to the durability of the product. The oxide that forms on copper alloys acts as a protective coating that protects the metal and prevents further oxidation. Brass threads will not fail on a razor due to corrosion.

Zamak used on modern razors is not the same alloy as that used on vintage zamak razors, it's not as strong or corrosion resistant. I do have some razors with zamak parts, but they are used sparingly.

BTW the white residue is not helped by the common use of stainless steel and brass handles with zinc heads, typically chromium plated. The combination of dissimilar metals in contact with each other and with a contaminated moisture electrolyte can set up a galvanic electrochemical reaction that will damage one of the metals, eating it away. For best longevity the handle and head should be the same material.
Zinc is a common anode material (sacrificial)... its going to lose the fight every time... hehe

Won't help you with your EJ, but I'd also stress a point made by others. Always always always dry your razor off thoroughly after shaving. Zamak heads will last a very long time if you take care of them properly.

An aside, but related, if you buy a stainless razor, you'll have to dry it religiously after shaving if you don't want it rusted/tea stained within a week.

I don't agree regarding stainless razors. I only have one. A Rockwell 6s. But I've used it quite a bit and I don't dry it off religiously. I just give it a quick shake post shave. It still looks perfect.

I'm sure some grades of stainless can rust or stain. But some don't. The kitchen sink in my house is stainless and roughly 30 years old. It's wet constantly, never dried out after use and yet it has zero rust or staining.

The kitchen sink in my house is stainless and roughly 30 years old. It's wet constantly, never dried out after use and yet it has zero rust or staining.
This is one of the worst analogies and misconceptions when people talk about stainless steel and rusting... The coating on that sink is what keeps it from rusting, not the SS its made of!!

The same goes for copper as well. Just because its been used for decades as plumbing under houses people think its ok to use for other daily use items all the while not realizing that the pipes under the house is a completely different grade of copper and can only be used for that purpose and isn't the same grade as the copper shave bowl, coffee cup, or other items we use daily thats made of copper...

I don't agree regarding stainless razors. I only have one. A Rockwell 6s. But I've used it quite a bit and I don't dry it off religiously. I just give it a quick shake post shave. It still looks perfect.

I'm sure some grades of stainless can rust or stain. But some don't. The kitchen sink in my house is stainless and roughly 30 years old. It's wet constantly, never dried out after use and yet it has zero rust or staining.
You should look at what alloys are used in different applications. Higher cost sinks are made with a better suited alloy to wet environment. I have a cheap cheap stainless sink in my kitchen that will tea stain after some months. I have to polish it periodically if I want it to look good.

If your razor is alloy 303, it will rust. If yours doesn't rust, it's not 303. 303 is what I've seen most commonly used.

And then some stainless is actually plated. My iKon handle is plated stainless. It won't rust. I believe iKon now powder coats/anodizes their razor heads for this reason.

And then there's other factors. If your razor blade is the same alloy as your razor head, or reasonably close, they won't react as rapidly. Also if it's coated with ptfe, same deal. As another member posted, dissimilar metals in water create a mild electrochemical reaction that facilitates corrosion.

So there are a number of factors that could lend to your specific situation. But I wouldn't want to tell another member to go flippantly forward with a $150+ razor. I'd want them to understand the potential.

But that's great that you don't have to worry about it. Yours is an enviable lot [emoji2]

I just want to show you guys this. this my HD 34C, the first razor I bought when I started DE shaving. I've had it for about five years now. For the first year, I used it every day, religiously. It was the only razor I owned. After some acquisitions, I now rotate it with an SS Red Tip, an iKon Deluxe OC, Muhle R41 ('13), and much less frequently, an iKon OSS and SB.

What I want you to note is that the threads are pretty much pristine. I can see no corrosion, no degradation. I have treated this razor as an investment; I've respected it. I've never over-tightened the cap. I've (after learning it's not a good idea) never put it away wet. I've also never greased the threads, but that may be a good idea to do. I'm mulling that over right now.

This razor has over 1000 shaves on, easily. Over 1000 cycles of having the cap removed and reinstalled. Zero pitting, zero corrosion, zero badness. Merkur is a good brand. I don't know that my experience would translate to other razors. But, to be fair, my R41 looks just as good.

Anyway, just putting the evidence forth for your consideration. Put up or shut up, right?

proxy.php

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I just want to show you guys this. this my HD 34C, the first razor I bought when I started DE shaving. I've had it for about five years now. For the first year, I used it every day, religiously. It was the only razor I owned. After some acquisitions, I now rotate it with an SS Red Tip, an iKon Deluxe OC, Muhle R41 ('13), and much less frequently, an iKon OSS and SB.

What I want you to note is that the threads are pretty much pristine. I can see no corrosion, no degradation. I have treated this razor as an investment; I've respected it. I've never over-tightened the cap. I've (after learning it's not a good idea) never put it away wet. I've also never greased the threads, but that may be a good idea to do. I'm mulling that over right now.

This razor has over 1000 shaves on, easily. Over 1000 cycles of having the cap removed and reinstalled. Zero pitting, zero corrosion, zero badness. Merkur is a good brand. I don't know that my experience would translate to other razors. But, to be fair, my R41 looks just as good.

Anyway, just putting the evidence forth for your consideration. Put up or shut up, right?

proxy.php
I believe the screws on merkur are chrome plated brass screws set in zamak. I think I read that on these forums. That seems to be why merkur doesn't have the same issue with screws failing as EJ. I too started with a 34c and it to is still pristine.

This is one of the worst analogies and misconceptions when people talk about stainless steel and rusting... The coating on that sink is what keeps it from rusting, not the SS its made of!!

The same goes for copper as well. Just because its been used for decades as plumbing under houses people think its ok to use for other daily use items all the while not realizing that the pipes under the house is a completely different grade of copper and can only be used for that purpose and isn't the same grade as the copper shave bowl, coffee cup, or other items we use daily thats made of copper...

Well that's interesting. My old sink sure doesn't look like it's coated? And if it is that sure is one tough coating to have lasted 30 plus years of very hard use. That old sink looks good enough that when we remodeled our kitchen several years ago we replaced the counter top but kept the sink.

well then I'll shut up... lol Are the R41s built the same? I didn't use that one bc I don't have even half the shaves on it...

I believe the screws on merkur are chrome plated brass screws set in zamak. I think I read that on these forums. That seems to be why merkur doesn't have the same issue with screws failing as EJ. I too started with a 34c and it to is still pristine.

well then I'll shut up... lol Are the R41s built the same? I didn't use that one bc I don't have even half the shaves on it...

Forgot to insert the quote...

You should look at what alloys are used in different applications. Higher cost sinks are made with a better suited alloy to wet environment. I have a cheap cheap stainless sink in my kitchen that will tea stain after some months. I have to polish it periodically if I want it to look good.

If your razor is alloy 303, it will rust. If yours doesn't rust, it's not 303. 303 is what I've seen most commonly used.

And then some stainless is actually plated. My iKon handle is plated stainless. It won't rust. I believe iKon now powder coats/anodizes their razor heads for this reason.

And then there's other factors. If your razor blade is the same alloy as your razor head, or reasonably close, they won't react as rapidly. Also if it's coated with ptfe, same deal. As another member posted, dissimilar metals in water create a mild electrochemical reaction that facilitates corrosion.

So there are a number of factors that could lend to your specific situation. But I wouldn't want to tell another member to go flippantly forward with a $150+ razor. I'd want them to understand the potential.

But that's great that you don't have to worry about it. Yours is an enviable lot [emoji2]

I think Rockwell touts their 6s razor as being "marine grade stainless ". I have no idea what alloy that is? It's definitely not staining or rusting though.

Well that's interesting. My old sink sure doesn't look like it's coated? And if it is that sure is one tough coating to have lasted 30 plus years of very hard use. That old sink looks good enough that when we remodeled our kitchen several years ago we replaced the counter top but kept the sink.

I also don't know about coatings. I know non-smudging stainless appliances have a coating. I hadn't heard anything on sinks. The plastic on the fridge is really easy to scratch off if you're not careful.

But 316 alloy is good in wet environment. It's also more expensive than 303/ 18/8.

I think Rockwell touts their 6s razor as being "marine grade stainless ". I have no idea what alloy that is? It's definitely not staining or rusting though.

That's probably 316. I haven't ever looked into them, I'm going to check them out. You piqued my interest...

Top Bottom