What's new

Russia made blades questions

This is not political discussion, at least not intended to be, but my 3 favorite blades are made in Russia. They are still available out there, but the price seems to be going up. What some great razor blades that are not made in Russia? What are some great razor blades whose availability will not be compromised by the European war?
Thank you, input is appreciated.
I wouldn't worry about availability to be honest. There must be hundreds of millions of blades in the supply chain, so I doubt if any will become unavailable in the short to medium term. Pricing by some sellers is unpredictable though.

There are the Personna offerings, including the new German Reds. Personna offer an amazing stable of blades. Obviously there are Indian Gillette plants making the excellent 7'OClock range. NACETS and the BIC is out there.

India is a great source of blades to try, including the Super Max brand.

Last edited:
There are plenty if you'd like to avoid Russia (or P&G entirely) especially on the bargain end.
I've just started testing out a huge range of Treet products, mostly carbon steel but not entirely.
Others have done the same with the variety of Lord blades.
I enjoy finding diamonds in the rough. I wasn't impressed by the Bangladeshi "Sharp" blades but really liked their LOI titanium blade.
Others here have mentioned the U.S. Personnas as top tier, and the Greek Bics.
@APBinNCA swears by Indian Super-Max, though I have a hard time keeping straight which are the good ones.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Lord’s Shark blades are nice. Their Shark Super Stainless and Shark Platinum have been nice to me (haven’t tried the Super Chrome yet).

@Mike Williams , have you considered sins such as hoarding Nacet blades? They don’t take up much space.

My favourites are Kai and Personna, so I don’t use any Russian-made blades.

Kai are more expensive than other blades but I find them highly sharp, comfortable, and also good for increasing the blade exposure and efficiency of razors (since Kai blades are a little wider than others). Personnas have a great balance of high sharpness and smoothness, for me, and I like all the Personna blades (Platinum, Med Prep, Lab Blues).

I have been getting some great shaves with the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (made in India). I think I prefer the made in India version but the made in China version also worked well. The blades are a bargain, I recently bought them for $6.68/110 on Amazon for the Saloon Pack.

If the prices of Russian blades are going up, it may be that some people are hoarding them thinking that they may be in short supply. They might be in short supply a year or two from now, but probably not soon. The Personna plant in Israel closed in 2019, but there are still Israeli Reds available, although at a premium price.

There are plenty of other great blades from other countries. The only Russian blade that I would miss is Nacet.

BIC Chrome Platinum blades come from Greece.
Personna Comfort Coated Lab Blues and Med Preps are made in the USA.
Personna Platinum Chrome blades were made in Israel, but are now made in Germany.
Wilkinson Sword Classic blades are also made in Germany.
There are a number of blades made in India including Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum and Super Max Blue Diamond.
The Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword blades are made in India and I believe also in China.
Durablade makes blades in Bangladesh. I love the Sharp Titanium blades.
Dorco makes Prime Platinum STP301 blades in Vietnam. They are very high quality blades, one of my favorites
Lord/Shark blades are made in Egypt. My favorite is the Lord Platinum, but some say Shark Platinum is the same blade.

If you purchase a 100 blade bulk pack of each of the blades listed, you should be set for at least the next 10 years.

You can get a 100 pack of Dorco Prime Platinum's on the bay for $7.95. Going more expensive Personna Comfort coated from Verona, VA are good. Personna Platinum's from Germany are good too. Zorrik Super platinums are good too. I'm not a fan of Derby Premiums and Derby Extras because they are not the sharp enough for me.

Reactions: edw
I am not worried about the Russian blades. I just bought 500 Nacets and 300 Gillette Russian Platinum "just in case". Could easily shave rest of my life WITHOUT them.

Other great blades not Russian are:

Gillette Black Platinum, Gillette Winner Platinum and Wilkinson Sword from India.
Lord from Egypt, for my taste the better is Lord Platinum.
Supermax are a mixed bag, I like the Platinum + (Plus) ones, from the manufactured nowadays. Zorrik Super Platinum is inexpensive and pretty decent.
BIC from Greece.
Feather from Japan.
Sharp / LOI Titanium from Bangladesh.
Treet from Pakistan.
Dorco from Vietnamese factory. Dorco Prime is really great.
Personna from USA / Germany / Israel (old stock these).

Other unknown Indian blades that impressed me are RK (not Stainless but the Chromium coated version) and Statum Platinum Chrome, both inexpensive in packs of 200 from Indian sellers at auction site.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I enjoy Voskhod, Ladas, and all varieties of Rapira blades. Voskhod and Rapira are under £10 per 100 delivered, while Ladas are more expensive but still under £15. A 100 pack lasts me about two years so blade prices would have to quadruple before they became significant compared to soaps and aftershaves etc. which seems unlikely. I occasionally use Feather and Kai but for inexpensive alternatives I like Shark Platinum, Lord Platinum, and German Wilkinson Sword Classic. I do not knowingly use P&G/Gillette, and the only blades I dislike are Derby, Treet, Merkur, and Rockwell.

I enjoy finding diamonds in the rough. I wasn't impressed by the Bangladeshi "Sharp" blades but really liked their LOI titanium blade.
There are several different Sharp brand blades, so it's hard to know sometimes which are best. I found the Sharp Titanium and LOI Titanium to be very similar and a pleasant surprise.

There are several different Sharp brand blades, so it's hard to know sometimes which are best. I found the Sharp Titanium and LOI Titanium to be very similar and a pleasant surprise.
This is true. I tried the hi-platinum ones, and platinum-coated blades tend to disagree with me somehow. Never tried the chrome, and I can imagine liking the titanium.

Does anyone here have experience with Gillette Minora blades? How do hey compare to Nacets and other popular blades?
I find the Minoras are a very nice substitute for razors where Nacets are not tops.

For me, Nacet is a wonderful blade in my R41, ATT Windsor Pro, and GC.84.
My daily shaver is a Mühle R89 and the Nacet is better than average in that pairing.
Load a Minora in that razor as well as in my Rockwell 6S and things are beautiful.

Ironically, I haven't tried the other way; swap the Nacet/Minora in my more aggressive razors.

I'm on my 3rd blade of my first tuck of Minora's. I usually get 3-4 shaves per blade but with Minora's I find the 3rd shave tuggy.

This is not political discussion, at least not intended to be, but my 3 favorite blades are made in Russia. They are still available out there, but the price seems to be going up. What some great razor blades that are not made in Russia? What are some great razor blades whose availability will not be compromised by the European war?
Thank you, input is appreciated.
Schick and Personna injector blades as well as the GEM Blue Star and PTFE coated stainless single edge blades.

Top Bottom