What's new

Rubber bit protector?

Softy Bits has different sizes available, which is nice.

I'm sure there are others. And UK or European made bits I would have no problem using.

If it says China, count me out. No idea what's in them.

I definitely prefer something made in the US or Europe as well. And for the pennies of a difference it is money well spent

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Its interesting that you say that. I have to go through every 3-6 months and replace them on my pipes. THey seems to start cracking on the sides of the bit

Can't explain that one. I rarely post pipe pics, but just did one on the Pipe of the Day. I've only smoked it 3-4 times, and it already has the usual permanent indent I leave. So I am not easy on them. I've never had one crack, just start to get really hard.

I clench further back in the jaw than some do. I've distorted acrylic stems from the bite pressure (white marks), so I appreciate the easy purchase they give.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
0C341591-2724-452F-8685-E3B7D822074D.jpeg

Perhaps it is the acidity of my saliva that is helping to weaken the rubber.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
What brand do you use? Maybe it's the quality of the rubber?

Softy Bits

That should not happen after 3 months. That almost appears as a dry rot condition. Maybe you got a bad batch.

No clue, as most of them look like that. Mind you im not smoking all of them on the regular basis, so perhaps sitting? I think they are the 9mm, as my shop doesnt carry the 11mm.

I have them on some pipes, not all. It more depends on the stem size than anything. And I'll clarify now that I have implants so feel is kind of funny for me.

They are big on the pipe. You'll have to open up wider to clench. It becomes more of a clamp. It's uncomfortable for me on pipes with a thicker stem. Or my jaw isn't used to it.

On dedicated clenchers with a saddle bit, they're great. They'll be nice and cushion-y hanging from my jaw. Straight pipes with a thinner stem can dangle for a couple minutes. Good ones don't leave a taste either.

As always, these are opinions and you can probably expect your milage to vary.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Softy Bits ...

Softy Bits has been around forever. Just a guess, but if you contacted the company, told them what you are going through, and included a picture, they might make it right.

I'm wondering how long your shop had them, and how they kept them. Some shops sell bits loose as singles, and those are sometimes exposed to whatever else is going on there.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have moved away from the rubber bits and use electrical shrink tape on all mine now. Thin and protects pretty well. Cheap enough to change it out if needed too.

I only use softy bits on a couple of my pipes -- my teeth like them, but they seem to make me salivate excessively. I would like to know more about this heat-shrink tubing people are using...any links?

Top Bottom