What's new

Rubber bit protector?

Does anyone use the rubber bit protectors? I'm not so much worried about the bit but clenching an acrylic stem is always very uncomfortable on my teeth. Wondering how much of difference it makes and if there are any drawbacks.

Thanks!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a few. Used them for awhile but don't now. They are softer than a plain bit, but I don't chew on the bit. If you clench while smoking instead of holding the pipe in your hand they are more comfortable than no softy bit. I believe you need to take them off and clean the stem under it from time to time. They're cheap...try a pack and see if you like them.

Though I'm not a clencher, I bought a packet from SP. As yet I haven't tried them. They are pretty firm rubber, and don't stretch over the bit that easily. Perhaps I need to steep one in a little hot water for a time to make it more flexible, and then slip it in place.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I tried one once, but I didn't care for it. Primarily because it made the bit so much bigger, but also because I'm accustomed to an unadorned, firm bit between my teeth, and the softie just didn't feel right. But it's certainly worth a try, and they're cheap.

Thanks for the advice so far Gents! I should clarify my original post as well. I'm not worried about price, they are cheap. 90% of the time I hold my pipe in my hand but there's always that time the wife needs help with something or I need to run to the toolbox and instead of setting it down and relighting I find it easier just to clench and take with me. I find clenching very uncomfortable though. I'm not trying to sound like a weenie, but it hurts my teeth, especially with heavier pipes like a straight cob. It's almost like a lever on your teeth.

If anyone has any other suggestions than the rubber bits too I'm open to trying things! I have heard of one person using some surgical tubing as it still makes it softer, but isn't as bulky

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Some people love them, some people hate them. I recommend buying a couple and giving it a try if you’re interested.

I personally don’t like them because they actually make me chomp on the stem harder to hold it since it’s soft. I prefer the feel of a stem without them. But, I also don’t really mark up my stems much if at all. I know some folks who have teeth that are pointier or align differently that just chew through stems, so for them softies are a must use item. You won’t know if you like them or hate them until you try. Oh, and when you first put them on you may get a pretty heavy rubber taste—it does away pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Some people love them, some people hate them. I recommend buying a couple and giving it a try if you’re interested.

I personally don’t like them because they actually make me chomp on the stem harder to hold it since it’s soft. I prefer the feel of a stem without them. But, I also don’t really mark up my stems much if at all. I know some folks who have teeth that are pointier or align differently that just chew through stems, so for them softies are a must use item. You won’t know if you like them or hate them until you try. Oh, and when you first put them on you may get a pretty heavy rubber taste—it does away pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... or those whose teeth are not quite so 'youthful'.

I've found the US-made ones to be pretty tasteless. YMMV.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
i use them on all my pipes, but wish i didnt have to. I have teeth that tend to mark up stems with minimal clenching. I honestly do not know the pleasure of natually smoking my ebonite stems. :(

i use them on all my pipes, but wish i didnt have to. I have teeth that tend to mark up stems with minimal clenching. I honestly do not know the pleasure of natually smoking my ebonite stems. :(

I must have the same problem you do as well. As gentle as I try to be I still wind up with teeth marks. I don't clench pipes that I don't want marks on though.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I must have the same problem you do as well. As gentle as I try to be I still wind up with teeth marks. I don't clench pipes that I don't want marks on though.

only pipes i own that i dont care about marks are my cobs. Any briar/meerschaum i put a bit on. I have thought about the shrinking wrap, but not sure i could be trusted to heat to shrink on the ebonite.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Columbo,

Are the softy bits made in the US? I see them on P and C but it doesn't list country of origin
Yes. The Genuine-branded Softy Bits are US made, as are the E A Carey ones. I can't speak for any others.

The other advantage of the US ones is that they last forever. I get close to 10 years out of one before they start to wear out. And I'm an iron-jaw clencher. So a bag of 50 might be a 'lifetime' supply.

only pipes i own that i dont care about marks are my cobs. Any briar/meerschaum i put a bit on. I have thought about the shrinking wrap, but not sure i could be trusted to heat to shrink on the ebonite.

I have 2 cobs and a cheaper no name briar that I don't mind the marks, but all my others are held in hand.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Softy Bits has different sizes available, which is nice.

I'm sure there are others. And UK or European made bits I would have no problem using.

If it says China, count me out. No idea what's in them.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
The other advantage of the US ones is that they last forever. I get close to 10 years out of one before they start to wear out. And I'm an iron-jaw clencher. So a bag of 50 might be a 'lifetime' supply.

Its interesting that you say that. I have to go through every 3-6 months and replace them on my pipes. THey seems to start cracking on the sides of the bit

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I have 2 cobs and a cheaper no name briar that I don't mind the marks, but all my others are held in hand.
Once you get used to the feel, I bet you'll want them on most of your stems.

It's an acquired feel. But once you take to it, on balance, it is like driving a car with a softer suspension. Better on long drives.

Top Bottom