What's new

Rotation question

I chose the razor the way I chose the soap...whatever strikes me at the moment. I strop before and after I use it. If one is not to my liking as far as sharpness, I grab another one and then take the other to the finish hone after I'm through shaving.

Well, if that's what it takes, I can't blame you for doing it.
Easy enough to do. It's an old habit. Honing is bringing an edge up from 1k and finishing it. Constantly trying to refinish an edge that is subpar eventually gets the bevel set. So I choose to do that from the get go. I've done many edge refreshes on a Tomo. But old habits die hard. So that's what I do.

Easy enough to do. It's an old habit. Honing is bringing an edge up from 1k and finishing it. Constantly trying to refinish an edge that is subpar eventually gets the bevel set. So I choose to do that from the get go. I've done many edge refreshes on a Tomo. But old habits die hard. So that's what I do.
If it makes you happy that's all that matters. :a14:

I have about 15 western straight razors in rotation. I make the distinction because I also have five Kamisoris. The kamisoris get used on the wife's legs. Keeps the skills sharp. Heh. Anyway, the westerns always get used in the same order, and I have a little book with dates used and comments on the edges. Like, "Sharpened with karasu and koma, very good shave" or "sharpened with mizu and 1200 atoma slurry, meh, back to the hone...". Keeps me straight on sharpening technique, and my honing skill progression

I choose randomly, just as I feel like. Photo below of the current rotation.

I strop on leather after shaving, so it's ready to go next time.

And every Saturday morning I do whatever honing needs to be done.

I do it this way so to see how different honing methods work.

In the photo below the razors are divided into three groups.

The two on the left, they get a nani12 on saturday morning. Probably not every Saturday though.

The four in the middle get a new convex Ark from Jarrod. Every Saturday, for sure.

The two on the right get .1u diamond pasted balsa. Every Saturday, for sure. If I used a razor a few times in the week then it gets .5u, .25u and then .1u. If only used once, .1u is enough.

Each group has a gold dollar in it, so I can check same razor, different hone.

I'm also comparing same razors on the convex ark and the pasted balsa. In the middle group is a dovo flow, which has the same blade as the dovo bismarck in the right group. flow on the convex ark, bismarck on diamond pasted balsa.

Those two dovo razors are excellent. they're great razors anyway, and I'm also impressed with both honing methods. Eventually I should be able to describe how they feel different on the face.

IMG_0076.jpg

It doesn’t really matter in my opinion. Occasionally I may use the same razor for several days and sometimes change daily. I take 50 laps on .1 pasted balsa after each shave but may take a couple down to 14k and just strop between shaves for a change since I did somehow manage to get one too sharp and it caused razor burn.

Interesting. I am starting to really see that when one sticks to one honing system for a while, one's technique improves and improves. We believe that our honing system is the best, but it's just that our technique is improving in sync with what that honing system likes.

Do you think you're just dialing in The Method? Is that why you had "too sharp"?

I gather this has not happened before, is that right?

I'm guessing that if we succeed in getting science fiction sharp, we have to keep the razor pretty close to the face or we're scraping and getting raw skin.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yeah it was a one time thing. I guess honing is like shaving as it just gets better as you do it. I didn’t really like the science fiction sharp though. I don’t remember which razor it was now. I’m going to play with the 14k edge for a bit and see what the difference is opposed to the balsa progression. I have a few I just got that probably need honing so I’ll use those. I’m sure I’ll come back to the balsa though. I don’t think a .1u edge would hold up with just stropping between shaves as well as a 14k edge. Anyway I’m up for a venture. Definitely sticking with film. Fewer variables than stones.

Yeah I think it's good to try different systems, side by side.

The really skilled honers, people like doc226, they say they don't like the feeling of a pasted edge. I've never really understood that.

But maybe it's because just don't like extremely sharp.

Maybe because there is something to the idea that this stone gives this feeling and this stone gives that feeling. Honestly, I have not yet really sensed anything other than sharper and less sharp.

That's why I'm trying this thing with my rotation. To find out.

So far all I'm noticing is that a good dovo razor on an Ark gives a good shave and a good dovo razor on the method gives a good shave.

Sometimes on this forum I feel like the guy at the wine tasting, when the experts are noticing leather and fig notes and I'm just noticing that it's tasty wine.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yeah I think it's good to try different systems, side by side.

The really skilled honers, people like doc226, they say they don't like the feeling of a pasted edge. I've never really understood that.

But maybe it's because just don't like extremely sharp.

Maybe because there is something to the idea that this stone gives this feeling and this stone gives that feeling. Honestly, I have not yet really sensed anything other than sharper and less sharp.

That's why I'm trying this thing with my rotation. To find out.

So far all I'm noticing is that a good dovo razor on an Ark gives a good shave and a good dovo razor on the method gives a good shave.

Sometimes on this forum I feel like the guy at the wine tasting, when the experts are noticing leather and fig notes and I'm just noticing that it's tasty wine.
Your wine analogy is perfect.

Your wine analogy is perfect.

Absolutely spot on.

I've gotten to the point that I can put an edge on most anything with my synthetics and pasted balsa. I'm then able to say if I like the edge or if it needs more work. Most that I decide need more work can be brought up to acceptable by trial and error.

That's all I need to keep myself busy and my razors functional. I'll leave the esoteric aspects to others, though I'm not above gleaning tidbits from them when I can...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Absolutely spot on.

I've gotten to the point that I can put an edge on most anything with my synthetics and pasted balsa. I'm then able to say if I like the edge or if it needs more work. Most that I decide need more work can be brought up to acceptable by trial and error.

That's all I need to keep myself busy and my razors functional. I'll leave the esoteric aspects to others, though I'm not above gleaning tidbits from them when I can...
That’s where the fun is. It is like making a stew. A little of this, a little of that and voila.

Steve, your point about getting razor burn has got me comparing the method to a black ark. Same razor, strop, soap, technique. Only the honing differs. the method razor one day, then the ark razor the next and repeat.

So far they both give good shaves.

I know I'm "supposed" to feel a difference.

Maybe I have a dumb face.

For me, I have yet to get my lathers consistent enough using different soaps everyday to compare . I know for sure when my lather is too thick or too watery but I know it isn’t the razor . When my lather is on point the razors all give me a great shave’s right now . Anyone else think this is a huge variable??? Although I know above your speaking of the same everything , except honing

I think only change one thing at a time or you don't have any idea where a difference came from. Same soap, brush, method of making lather. Same razor.

And maybe I misinterpreted about your direction, but I think you have to use a soap a few times in a row until you figure it out. Yeah, it can make a big difference!

I don't have a clue as to which razor, soap, or brush I'll use until the moment I start to pick something out. I think I'd go nuts obsessively doing a rotation or counting how many shaves on a blade until it needs refreshing.

Ok, earlier I said I can't tell the difference between an hard ark and .1u diamond pasted balsa.

Well, a few hours ago I saw a difference. I was using the .1u diamond pasted balsa. I just touched my cheek with the edge. Not flat against it like shaving, but accidentally at ninety degrees, just a light touch.

And wow, instant sharp note of pain and blood and that panicky feeling of oh no.

This balsa razor is sharp. Really sharp. I think sharper than the black ark.

I finished the shave, feeling very cautious, very careful, very respectful of this edge.

So yeah, I now think the diamond pasted balsa is sharper. Wooowee, it is. I think it's been getting sharper over the last few months.

Doesn't mean I prefer the balsa though. I may prefer the black ark. The black ark doesn't try to kill me.

Those 0.1 edges are super unforgiving of even the smallest technique errors. I find they take damage from my beard very rapidly too.

Top Bottom