What's new

Rotary tool

Depending on the bells and whistles it has it might not work. I didn't see the RPM's or the variable-ness of speed. When I took my last knot out I used my Dremel and it worked just fine, on the lower speed settings though it got a little stuck, which is why I say if it isn't high speed enough it might be a problem. This is of course in relation to the 9.99 one. The professional one is variable and might be a better option.

The one small problem is that these tools have a set bit size, so you can only fit relatively small drill bits in them which (depending on the knot size) can take a while. I say this and of course the knot I just removed was 34mm lol.

Anyways for the most part it should work for you without too much trouble.

I suspect either one of those would be sufficient for extracting an old knot, opening up the inside diameter of a handle, etc., but I wouldn't expect them to last for years, particularly under heavy use. Use them carefully, don't let them run too long and overheat, don't let them start binding or stalling, and remember that you get what you pay for! I'd probably go with the variable-speed, "Pro"model.

I checked those out and many people are very disappointed with them because of the plastic internals they just don't last long. I would recommend watching out for a used dremel on the bay they have a much better rep.

R

Rsq

I have a black and decker corded RTX- something or other. I got it off amazon for 35-ish bucks, and i couldnt be happier with it.

Legion

Staff member
Depends on the knot. I've had ones that just came out with pliers. The last one I did I needed a proper drill press and a forstner bit. All glues were not created equal.

Had the pro model and never got to use it as it broke while trying to attach the bit I was going to use. It sat for awhile before I attempted to use so wrote it up as a loss. I now have a snazzy rotozip which I have love for home projects and recently got the flex shaft attachement to use for brush restores but haven't used it yet. Pretty sure it'll do slightly better then th Harbor freight one.

Top Bottom