What's new

Rosy Red Washita

I’ve actually bought two rosy reds since this post, honestly still haven’t really put them through any real test. They are nothing like that red translucent though. I’ll check if they are translucent at all but I doubt it.

Just checked both, exactly as translucent as your average lily white... as in, a strong flashlight held right at the edge might penetrate a few mm, but not translucent in any real sense.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
After months of being on my work table, I started playing with my Rosy Red. I lapped it at the same time with a Lily White. Finished both on a 140 Atoma. They both have different characteristics. The longer stone, a Lily is soft with a fine grit action. The Red is a harder stone, with a fine-tight grain but shows its teeth while cutting. I put them thru their paces putting a new bevel on a pair of chisels. Both are fast, but the Red is a bit faster. One of the chisels shows the wire edge before I removed it. The polished edge has the same hazy mirrored look between the two. After cleaning up, both shaved arm hair and ate wood

81F0C5CF-2AB1-4EB3-84A0-13EEF4934961.jpeg
8361F9DE-75F0-4FC9-9A98-B38053743A18.jpeg
79A76D91-C93F-4017-883D-4E404D1B9C06.jpeg
633D3C2D-53AE-42C7-A8D0-E7E0C8AE23B3.jpeg

Two? I knew you had the one with the side label, but what is the second one? Is it labeled?
I bought a boxed one. No back label, but it had an end label (one of the soft/hard ones).
Looking at a few now, I suspect I might’ve had and sold a number of unlabeled ones in the past. I always took them for #1 grades Because of the orange flecks but it’s possible that they were all Rosy Red.

Side label, end label, unlabeled that I suspect might be a rosy red, and a dirty, labeled lily white.

Attachments

• 79BA2E0D-1F77-4961-B299-1EF46E58C553.jpeg
    79BA2E0D-1F77-4961-B299-1EF46E58C553.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 70

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I don’t recall seeing end labels on rosy reds but I could be wrong.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've been doing some reading about these stones lately trying to figure out why you see so few of them these days. I know they are softer, but they're not that much softer that a soft Lily White, and you see those all the time with labels intact. Some of the old catalogs I found actually list them before the Lily White, and tout them as a best all around stone for general use, and all of the catalogs that I found (over a dozen) have the Rosy Reds and Lily Whites priced the same. Neat stuff. Info on the Rosy Red Quarry has been limited so far but I hope to dig something up eventually.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Years ago I met a old timer who was retired from Pike. He told me that the Pike Pit for white and red stones is now flooded. It was flooded by the Blakely Mountain Dam on the Ouachita River. It was about a dozen miles N.W. of Hot Springs. He told a good tale but I have never found anything in writing to confirm his story

Top Bottom