What's new

Ronnie James Dio dead at 67

Wow. I saw him a couple of times with Heaven & Hell and it never occurred to me that that would be my only chance to see him live. This is shocking.

I'm scared to ask, but who was the other?

As someone else mentioned below here, the other singer I was referring to was Peter Steele of Type O Negative. He also had a thrash metal band in the 80's called Carnivore. TON kind makes Black Sabbath and Dio seem mainstream, but I enjoyed the music from both of his bands. Not to mention that Steele, like Dio, seemed like a genuinely good guy.

Dio amazed me recently with the quality of his voice. I don't know how many people here checked out anything from the latest Heaven and Hell studio album, but the tracks I heard off it showed Dio's voice hasn't lost much at all. Especially for a guy who sings like he did, keeping his voice like that into his 60's is amazing. Compare him to someone like Bruce Dickinson, who despite living a relatively tame "rock star" lifestyle still has lost a bit of his top end when you hear him sing today.

Last edited:
It's crazy to think how much "metal" this man is responsible for..

how many kids decided to form bands based on hearing one of his songs.

Whether it was "Man on the Silver Mountain," with Rainbow, "Children of the Sea" with Black Sabbath or his own "Rainbow in the Dark" or "The Last In Line" the man penned some seriously classic metal songs.

Alongside Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson, one of the greatest voices in Metal.

To the Neon Knight from the Rock N' Roll Children and Metal Mobs all over the world.. may you Rest in Peace by the Sign of the Southern Cross..

What I thought was amazing was the number of people who made statements yesterday on RJD's passing. I mean it is literally a who's who of metal and hard rock's biggest names: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Lars Ulrich wrote a long piece on his website, Slash, Kiss, Motley Crue, Queensryche, Dream Theater, not to mention scores of newer bands. Even Billy Corgan commented on his passing.

I rarely think Lars Ulrich is worth quoting, but he had this to say about the upcoming European dates that were featuring a lineup including Heaven and Hell, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer (which sounds freakin amazing by the way) and it describes Dio's legacy perfectly:

"It seemed so right to have you (Dio) out on tour with the so-called 'Big Four' since you obviously were one of the main reasons that the four bands even exist."

Top Bottom