What's new

Rogers Ohio Flea Market

I was very optimistic at the beginning of our adventure earlier today. My family and I decided to take a drive from Pittsburgh to Rogers, Ohio flea market. It was hot, and if I received a buck for every pair of sunglasses I saw, every sword or dagger I saw, as well as Amish cookies...I would be rich!
The only thing I found that had to do with traditional wet shaving were two straight razors that didn't look too promising. I was put off by these razors because they were $20 each and made in China. Then I politely told the guy I'd think about it and maybe come back later...his buddy behind the counter said, "don't come back".
So, the only thing that I picked up were some Amish cookies. :lol: While they were good and tasty, on the shave good front, I got burned today. :mad3: I will still hold my head up and be optimistic for future acquisition adventures! :w00t:

TB,

Too bad you didn't score. My wife and I rack up a lot of miles just to find the few antique shop razors that we've found. Somedays turn up nothing. You'll find the jackpot soon!

DL

TB,

Too bad you didn't score. My wife and I rack up a lot of miles just to find the few antique shop razors that we've found. Somedays turn up nothing. You'll find the jackpot soon!

DL
Thanks for the encouraging words. It's always fun to travel on these mini adventures to new antique stores. I remember this one time I went to an antique mall in Ohio. I believe there were more than 400 vendors in this place, as you imagine...I was drooling when I walked in. I walked out with only one de razor, a gillette red tip ss. At least it was one great score that day.​
Then there was this one time a few weeks ago that our little fire hall had a mini flea market sale. I went there on a whim early in the morning that day. I had not expected to find even one razor. There weren't even 10 dealers there that particular day. Sure enough, I found a razor that I had wanted to try for a very long time, I scored a fat handle tech! So you're right, I'm just hoping that jackpot comes my way again soon!​

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's always fun to travel on these mini adventures to new antique stores. I remember this one time I went to an antique mall in Ohio. I believe there were more than 400 vendors in this place, as you imagine...I was drooling when I walked in. I walked out with only one de razor, a gillette red tip ss. At least it was one great score that day.​
Then there was this one time a few weeks ago that our little fire hall had a mini flea market sale. I went there on a whim early in the morning that day. I had not expected to find even one razor. There weren't even 10 dealers there that particular day. Sure enough, I found a razor that I had wanted to try for a very long time, I scored a fat handle tech! So you're right, I'm just hoping that jackpot comes my way again soon!​

That's what usually happens to us. We go into a huge antique mall and come out with one uncased Superspeed. Sometimes we actually get lucky and score a cased specimen. We try to plan at least 3 or 4 when we go out on our excursions. Texas is pretty spead out so it takes all day to hit all the antique shops in 3 or 4 towns. I think my wife enjoys it though.

DL

I've hit the jackpot a few times and gotten skunked many times. And that's stopping in the same stores from time to time. I believe that there are millions of razors out there, it just takes time for them to show up in stores.

I also believe that "some" antique dealers view them as a nuisance and would rather be done with them. When I have asked to see a razor or two in a display case I have been greeted with "You gotta be kidding me"..I tell them I still use them and they are flabbergasted. I have had dealers make me a deal to take an extra one for cheap. I got two Superspeeds that way- a late 40's and a 56 in beautiful shape..Five bucks.

Conversely, I have run into dealers that want 50 bucks for a tech. You never know whats out there. Be positive--the supply is far from dried up. Half the fun is the chase...Antiquing is a relaxing way to spend a day...sure beats a day at a Mega-Mall....

find 'em boys!!

Marty E.

His buddy was an *******! dont give up on Fleamarkets.:smile:
I was very optimistic at the beginning of our adventure earlier today. My family and I decided to take a drive from Pittsburgh to Rogers, Ohio flea market. It was hot, and if I received a buck for every pair of sunglasses I saw, every sword or dagger I saw, as well as Amish cookies...I would be rich!
The only thing I found that had to do with traditional wet shaving were two straight razors that didn't look too promising. I was put off by these razors because they were $20 each and made in China. Then I politely told the guy I'd think about it and maybe come back later...his buddy behind the counter said, "don't come back".
So, the only thing that I picked up were some Amish cookies. :lol: While they were good and tasty, on the shave good front, I got burned today. :mad3: I will still hold my head up and be optimistic for future acquisition adventures! :w00t:

Top Bottom