What's new

Rocnel SE-G Reviews?

There is quite a bit of difference between the three. The Rocnel SE-G is definitely more aggressive with the Brass General behind it and the Sabre bringing up the rear. But not so aggressive that you might think some might be discouraged because of it. If I were to compare it to something similar it would be to the Wilkinson Pall Mall razor that I've been testing recently. It's as efficient and aggressive, but I find the Pall Mall a tad bit more comfy to use because of the blade tab stops. You are more careful with the Rocnel because it lacks those guards or stops if you will. Perhaps the aggressive feeling of the Rocnel has something to do with my choice of blade, the GEM carbon steel blade. It's not as smooth as the SS GEM PTFE coated blades. I think the SS ones will help in that regard. I still like the shave from it though. Still need to get a couple more in with it to get a real good idea on it.

On your point of the blade being secure? Solid, no movement or wiggle in either the GEM or FHS-10.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm not sure I'd invest in a razor that didn't have the stops at this point. I've never seen a Pall Mall. Now I've got to look it up.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm not sure I'd invest in a razor that didn't have the stops at this point. I've never seen a Pall Mall. Now I've got to look it up.

This is a Wilkinson Pall Mall adjustable guard. Best vintage razor I've ever used behind my Old Type...... On loan from a fellow member @imatabor...

IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG

That is just a work of Art there! I searched the web and I could not find one for sale anywhere. I even looked at the UK eBay and found a lot of Empires but no Pall Mall's. Love to try one some time. Really like that RR Honeycomb to. I just got the RR Hulk and now you've got me thinking. Man when does the spending end with this hobby of ours. LMAO!
Nice photos btw! :thumbup1:

This is a Wilkinson Pall Mall adjustable guard. Best vintage razor I've ever used behind my Old Type...... On loan from a fellow member @imatabor...

View attachment 808483 View attachment 808484 View attachment 808485
If I were to compare it to something similar it would be to the Wilkinson Pall Mall razor that I've been testing recently.

I think you keep talking me out of these modern Gem razors and stick to my Pall Mall.:001_tongu

The third shave with the Rocnel SE-G and my last. Perhaps the best shave with it of the three. Used a GEM SS PTFE 11 times used blade and it was still smooth as silk. Not much stubble from yesterdays amazing shave with the Cobra, but enough to get a comfortable 2 pass shave to restore a near BBS feel. The Rocnel is a great GEM razor and used with a light touch and care can match any top tier razor shave for shave. Is it smoother than the Sabre? No, it is not. It has more of a manliness feel to it and cool/punk look. For some, not having the blade guard tabs might not mean much, but to me it does. I had to pay a little more attention to my shaves and just a little more concentration during my shave to get the desired result. It will shave and cut through any amount of stubble, 1 day or a whole week. The mid-aggressive feel will tame any coarse beard quickly and efficiently. Will I own one in the future? I don't think so. It's a cool razor with a radical new look unlike anything else out there, but I have razors that give me a more comfortable and satisfying shave. It just wasn't for me...... :thumbsup:

Razor: Rocnel SE-G
Blade: GEM SS PTFE #12
Brush: Semogue #1305 Boar
Soap/Cream: Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada
Astringent: DG/Body
Toner: Manetti & Roberts Rose Water
W/H: Humphreys Citrus
A/S Splash: Aqua Velva Musk
proxy.php

The third shave with the Rocnel SE-G and my last. Perhaps the best shave with it of the three. Used a GEM SS PTFE 11 times used blade and it was still smooth as silk. Not much stubble from yesterdays amazing shave with the Cobra, but enough to get a comfortable 2 pass shave to restore a near BBS feel. The Rocnel is a great GEM razor and used with a light touch and care can match any top tier razor shave for shave. Is it smoother than the Sabre? No, it is not. It has more of a manliness feel to it and cool/punk look. For some, not having the blade guard tabs might not mean much, but to me it does. I had to pay a little more attention to my shaves and just a little more concentration during my shave to get the desired result. It will shave and cut through any amount of stubble, 1 day or a whole week. The mid-aggressive feel will tame any coarse beard quickly and efficiently. Will I own one in the future? I don't think so. It's a cool razor with a radical new look unlike anything else out there, but I have razors that give me a more comfortable and satisfying shave. It just wasn't for me...... :thumbsup:

Razor: Rocnel SE-G
Blade: GEM SS PTFE #12
Brush: Semogue #1305 Boar
Soap/Cream: Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada
Astringent: DG/Body
Toner: Manetti & Roberts Rose Water
W/H: Humphreys Citrus
A/S Splash: Aqua Velva Musk
proxy.php
So is it smoother than that Pall Mall? Or maybe I should just ask how the Rocnel compare over all to the Pall Mall.

So is it smoother than that Pall Mall? Or maybe I should just ask how the Rocnel compare over all to the Pall Mall.
Good question. To be honest, I'd take the Pall Mall over the Rocnel. The Pall Mall has a smoother feel to the shave and a big plus is that you can adjust it for a mild or a mid aggressive shave. The Rocnel shaves good, but lacks a bit more refinement in my opinion. And not having blade tabs or guards was a demerit in my estimation. If it had those guards, and a smoother feel and glide on the razor itself, this razor would have been a serious contender for top 5 razor in my den....

LOL!!! Honestly, the Pall Mall has flown under the radar. I don't understand why there isn't more written about it. The design and implementation of the adjustable guard was ahead of it's time.
Perhaps it's rarity, but it's a wonderful razor that has impressed the heck out of me. Only wish it was easier to find....

LOL!!! Honestly, the Pall Mall has flown under the radar. I don't understand why there isn't more written about it. The design and implementation of the adjustable guard was ahead of it's time.
Perhaps it's rarity, but it's a wonderful razor that has impressed the heck out of me. Only wish it was easier to find....
I have a confession on the adjustable one you have. The Gem blades don't fit it. If you look at the one you have you will see that I slightly bent one wing in so it is close enough to fig the blade. I have a nonadjustable that the blade's fit in just fine without modifying.

I have a confession on the adjustable one you have. The Gem blades don't fit it. If you look at the one you have you will see that I slightly bent one wing in so it is close enough to fig the blade. I have a nonadjustable that the blade's fit in just fine without modifying.
I did notice that it was real tight in getting the blade in and out for cleaning and such. But it still works amazing. To bad wedge blades are tough to come by. Anyways, it worked for me....

The second version:

Rocnel SE-G matte finish

IMG_0116.JPG

I think without the coating it looks better. And maybe will help in providing a smoother razor to face feel while shaving. No blade stops or tabs is the only thing for me holding me back. Do you really need them? Perhaps not. It never cut me while I had it, but it would be nice to have....

I tried this razor and didn't like it at all. Blade loading is gimmicky and the lack of tabs is a serious design flaw, in my opinion.

Top Bottom