What's new

Rocnel SE-G Reviews?

I just got mine today, and it's a beauty. I haven't yet seen any users or reviews on this forum, although Bullgoose has posted some amazing photos. He's apparently sold out of them in a week or two, which tells me some folks own them. Anyone out there using one? What're your thoughts?

I have 3 shaves under my belt with the Rocnel GEM SE. Here's just a broad brush comparison with the vintage GEMs. This is not a one-to-one comparison of any individual vintage GEM vs this new razor. My experience with the Vintage is that I have shaved with 1912s, 1912 Juniors, Damaskeenes, G-Bars, Contours, the pushbutton. I am not an expert with vintage GEMs. But I do have some familiarity with many. As for the final result, I get the same high-quality shaves from the new GEM as I do with the vintage GEMS. The main difference for me, is that the razor for the most part feels more sturdy, more substantial, like the razor itself is adding to the rigidity to the already rigid GEM blade; giving me confidence to attack heavy growth without tugging, which sometimes happens with some of my vintage GEMs. Maybe it's technique on my part, but for the 3rd shave in a row, I've had NO tugging, only a sensation of a sturdy tool, cutting through beard growth.

For a large part of my vintage GEM shaving experience, many times I would feel a sense of flex, like maybe the head is moving just a wee bit. Not sure if that is actually happening. But I think the Rocnel's handle is closer to the center of the razor's head than that of most vintage GEMs. So, this reduces the moment arm, or leverage so there might be less tendency for the head to "flex" a bit. Also, there is substantially more material on the Rocnel where the handle goes into the head...like a beefed-up flange. This too adds to the overall stability of this razor.

As for looks...I like it more in person than in the pictures. It has that cool gadgetry kind of look. But, to me that is secondary to how it performs. As noted above, the final result as compared to vintage GEMs, it's equal for the most part, but it's "the getting there" that was more enjoyable for me. Also, for me, I didn't feel like I had to get too worried about "light pressure". After learning it, I just shaved. Carefree, no worries.

Oh, one other comparison to vintage GEMs. I found this razor easier to shave ATG underneath the nose. This is a notoriously difficult part of my shaving, and few razors can perform this smoothly.

Although I like my vintage GEMs, this is my favorite GEM thus far. And not because it's new...I seldom shave with the same razor 2x in a row, let alone 3x. I looked forward to shaving with this guy.

I hope this might help those that are on the fence about getting one or not.

@nvpliers posted this review in the
Not for the Faint of Heart.... Don't look!! thread.

I'm really enjoying the Rocnel. I've got many Gem-blade razors, and use most of them (1907 Lather Catcher, British 1912, 1914 Little Lather Catcher, 1924 Shovelhead, MMOC, etc.), but the Rocnel seems to provide the closest shave of them all. It feels a bit more aggressive than the others, with more blade feel. And I love the design.

For some reason, it doesn't seem to get much love, while the Blackland version is kicking up a storm. I wonder why?

Looks my play a part!

You may be right, rabidus. To my eye, the Sabre looks like most of the modern razors being made today. Part of the reason I like the Charcoal Goods antique brass DE, PAA DOC Evolution stainless DE and Rocnel Gem SE razors is that they're different.

the Rocnel seems to provide the closest shave of them all. It feels a bit more aggressive than the others, with more blade feel. And I love the design.

I recently started using the MMOC at an extremely shallow angle and it's outstanding. Smooth and extremely efficient.

If the Rocnel SE has more blade feel than the MMOC, then it's not for me.

Love the look!

I just ordered the Rocnel SE-G razor from Bullgoose. Seeing as how I have Gem blade compatible razors from CV Heljestrand, Henckels, most Gem and Ever Ready models and Star as well as other European oddballs including the Louis and OBLYC razors with a Mandarin/Le Totai on the way it will be interesting to compare it with Gem razors that date back 110 years or so.

At least the Rocnel has an original design compared to the other new Gem blade razors which appear to me to be variations of 3 piece DE designs.

I just ordered the Rocnel SE-G razor from Bullgoose. Seeing as how I have Gem blade compatible razors from CV Heljestrand, Henckels, most Gem and Ever Ready models and Star as well as other European oddballs including the Louis and OBLYC razors with a Mandarin/Le Totai on the way it will be interesting to compare it with Gem razors that date back 110 years or so.

At least the Rocnel has an original design compared to the other new Gem blade razors which appear to me to be variations of 3 piece DE designs.
I will be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Prepped for my first shave with the Rocnel SE-G and wanted to change things up a bit. But before that I would like to thank Phil @BullGoose for sponsoring this pass around (another shave forum) and for his generosity in allowing me to trial this razor.

So, like I had stated I wanted to change things up a bit so I decided to get my first shave with the Rocnel with the standard carbon steel GEM blade. I figured, if it goes bad at the start, it will only get better down the road. Plus, I haven't used them before and there's very little talk if any on how it would work with the Rocnel. Deep waters, here we go....
proxy.php

Pic above pretty much tells what I used.......

Onto the shave. Loaded the Gem carbon steel blade without a single issue. The feel and weight of the razor felt very good in the hands. The SE-G felt kind of small in my hands, but very comfortable and nicely balanced. Alignment and fitment of the blade was excellent. No overhang on either side and it was secured nicely with the grub/handle screw.

Pass 1 WTG, N-S= I started from the sideburns, mid-ear from North to South. The angle was easy to acquire on the first two strokes and even easier to maintain. Smooth, light touch and the razor cut through the stubble very nicely. The Rocnel has plenty of weight, so no pressure is needed, just a controlled and balanced drop. Very nice and comfy first pass with the carbon steel GEM blade. I felt no roughness or stickiness of the razor on my face. Just tiny little soap lines from the open comb design as I made my passes. Nice.....

Cold water rinse, one tiny weeper on the right and relathered......

Pass 2 ATG, WTG hybrid pass, S-N & L-R, R-L = Started from the base of the neck on an upward pass and slightly I turn inward towards the throat as that's how my hair growth maps out. From the jawline up it's a straight South to North pass. Man, what a pass! Now, it wasn't perfect as I felt a couple little bumps and skips on the neck heading towards the throat from both sides. A couple tiny red dots confirmed this. But I don't fault the razor at all on this. I knew it would be a little tough there for me because of my pronounced Adams Apple area. But it was smooth as silk when it was done. Also, the GEM carbon steel blade is a couple notches below on the smoothness compared to the SS PTFE coated ones. The finish on my face was just excellent. As close to a BBS shave all around minus the throat area. Chin was clean and just minor buffing along the jawline. Dropped the mic and walked of the stage performance.

Cold water rinse and onto the alum pass. Slight feedback along both jawlines and both sides of the throat. 4-5 weepers gone on the rinse and alum pass. Minor irritation on said areas, but gone in 30 minutes. I was left with an excellent smooth and refreshed shave. Got my hazel, rose water and aftershave splash and quench on. My daughter said "Nice Dad". 100% approval.

This razor can cut gents. A very nice aggressive shave and feel. Not overly done though, just the right amount of blade feel for those that like the blade feel on the skin, like myself. And contrary to the stories I've read about the GEM carbon steel blades not being smooth or efficient? Not so for me. It cut nicely and efficiently. Not as smooth as the SS PTFE version, but certainly respectable.

1st shave in, and I like it....
proxy.php

proxy.php

Do I understand correctly it also takes Feather FHS blades?
A few quick pics with the FHS-10 Feather installed...... But, word of caution. It does not have the same specs and measurements as the GEM and no spine, so it has to be eyeballed upon inserting and attaining proper alignment. Not hard, but just an FYI if you want to use one. I will soon....
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG

How would you compare the shave to your Blackland Sabre or General? Also how rigid does this razor hold the blade in, lets say compared to the Sabre which IMO is 2nd only to my Timeless.

How would you compare the shave to your Blackland Sabre or General? Also how rigid does this razor hold the blade in, lets say compared to the Sabre which IMO is 2nd only to my Timeless.
There is quite a bit of difference between the three. The Rocnel SE-G is definitely more aggressive with the Brass General behind it and the Sabre bringing up the rear. But not so aggressive that you might think some might be discouraged because of it. If I were to compare it to something similar it would be to the Wilkinson Pall Mall razor that I've been testing recently. It's as efficient and aggressive, but I find the Pall Mall a tad bit more comfy to use because of the blade tab stops. You are more careful with the Rocnel because it lacks those guards or stops if you will. Perhaps the aggressive feeling of the Rocnel has something to do with my choice of blade, the GEM carbon steel blade. It's not as smooth as the SS GEM PTFE coated blades. I think the SS ones will help in that regard. I still like the shave from it though. Still need to get a couple more in with it to get a real good idea on it.

On your point of the blade being secure? Solid, no movement or wiggle in either the GEM or FHS-10.

On your point of the blade being secure? Solid, no movement or wiggle in either the GEM or FHS-10.

Agreed as the blade is locked in position by the set screw that the handle also attaches to. I would note too that the blade slot top portion is too narrow to take older Gem type blades which have thicker top stiffener bars than the current GEM blade version with the thin aluminum bar.

Agreed as the blade is locked in position by the set screw that the handle also attaches to. I would note too that the blade slot top portion is too narrow to take older Gem type blades which have thicker top stiffener bars than the current GEM blade version with the thin aluminum bar.
+1

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay more to use the FHS blade, which is not as efficient as the GEM SS PTFE blade which are a lot less expensive. Every razor I've used both blades in, the GEM SS PTFE is the better blade.

Top Bottom