What's new

Rocnel Sailor 2024

Rocnel now has the 2024 Sailor as a pre order but the ship date is May (2024). 316 stainless steel with a brass adjustment ring. Pre order price is 285 Euros which is roughly 307usd . I don't know if shipping is extra but still sounds good.

Shipping is 24 Euros, so about €309/333USD.

Not cheap, but a bargain compared to say a 2020 Sailor that was retailed for $700USD at the time.
Screenshot_20240219-114339707.png

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Which begs the question: were the previous models overpriced or has the 2024
model had some corners cut...more efficient manufacturing processes perhaps, or cheaper raw materials?
He might have improved his output and manufacturing processes indeed. Economic issues and sanctions in Russia and Europe might also influence the willingness or even just the possibility of people to buy luxury item priced razors anymore.

I would say your first thought is spot on. I have Turkish friends and neighbors, this oriental haggling/bazaar thing, it does exist. Trying to figure out how much people were willing to pay, he was probably delighted that some did. Seems by now he wants rather some more customers than selling fewer razors for more.

Which begs the question: were the previous models overpriced or has the 2024
model had some corners cut...more efficient manufacturing processes perhaps, or cheaper raw materials?
I believe the first one you said, then I think that its changes from one release to another are too useless
Better to release every couple of years or more but make useful changes
For those who have previous models this seems useless "sailor 2024" Ah, perhaps the change is that it no longer offers steel O-rings but only brass

Cinema Popcorn GIF by Sky Italia

I'm guessing it is a combo of both price and quality. 2022 version was the last one most bought but were put off by the rounded top cap and swore the 2021 shaved better. The 2023 version saw the rounded top cap remained, but the razor was pretty much the same as the 2022 which saw only the faithful buying it to stay loyal to Murat and purchased to have one for their collection mostly... I don't think I've seen a 2023 MC posted on any forum and suspicions are it was due to price as it was the highest we've seen to date. I think him offering a stand with some versions and not others was confusing at best for most as well!!

I think he hit a home run with the mixed Ti/SS because most have wanted titanium but imo, wasn't enough titanium to be swayed even at that pricepoint!! What Murat should've done was released more Ti/SS because there are still some that missed out on it and have been waiting for a re-release but I think some desire went out the window when they saw the price jumped 50% and interest fell off... I think that was a bad decision on his part to raise it that much but thought the original $285 price was pretty low considering what he wanted for an all SS version. Him lowering the price on the 2024 tells me he overpriced previous models and we're starting to see more and more in the BST's knowing they are worth more at this time than after the 2024 gets into the hands of customers but it may just be too late as the mystique of the Sailor has passed most of us by now and think he's priced them now just to get some sales back that he's lost in the recent past...

Not sure if all this mumbo jumbo makes any sense to all but its early in the day and not really awake yet...

Is it me, or do their prices vary wildly from year to year?
It's certainly not just you!!

I just saw posted on another forum, (by a reliable source), the 2024 MC is to be released in December and was informed it will be an all Titanium release finally!! Just to put this into perspective the 2023 MC in SS just shy of $2100 so the 2024 Ti should be in the neighborhood of say $2800+ so I'm sure for those that have begged for an all Ti version you better start saving now as regardless I'm sure it won't be cheap at all and I'm sure quite a few will change their mind of wanting an all Titanium version....

As I have stated previously I can't recall actually seeing a 2023 MC out in the wild but I have no doubt there will be a few of the Ti roaming around with the collectors, but I'm sure it won't be many!!

It's certainly not just you!!

I just saw posted on another forum, (by a reliable source), the 2024 MC is to be released in December and was informed it will be an all Titanium release finally!! Just to put this into perspective the 2023 MC in SS just shy of $2100 so the 2024 Ti should be in the neighborhood of say $2800+ so I'm sure for those that have begged for an all Ti version you better start saving now as regardless I'm sure it won't be cheap at all and I'm sure quite a few will change their mind of wanting an all Titanium version....

As I have stated previously I can't recall actually seeing a 2023 MC out in the wild but I have no doubt there will be a few of the Ti roaming around with the collectors, but I'm sure it won't be many!!
$2,100.00- $2,800.00 is a tad steep for a small Razor, think if you are paying that kind of money it is all about bragging rights, to talk about with people at "club", not shave quality. Good shaving Razor is available, for way less Greenbacks.

The good thing about those ''inexpensive'' new series is that an even larger part of the shaving community can finally try the mystical and exclusive Rocnel adjustable razors at a much lower price. I did and I'm a bit disappointed, but others seems to be happy, so just like with any other razor it all comes down to personal preference.

My guess is that the people who buy the very expensive models are becoming less and less, since the majority of them already own at least one or more and now they try to get into the ''regular'' market for high quality adjustable razors from brands like Rex, HLS, Tatara and Blackland.

I'm sure they will continue making the MC series, but at much lower quantities than before or just have a pre-order option instead of piling them up and waiting for someone to buy them.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The good thing about those ''inexpensive'' new series is that an even larger part of the shaving community can finally try the mystical and exclusive Rocnel adjustable razors at a much lower price.
This. People can try and if they like it, they can decide to shell out even more and get the deluxe or sheikh edition. The thing with razors is, you can never be sure that you like the way a razor shaves. That makes me often hesitate.

Hard to guess what the pricing strategy will be for the all-Ti model.
He may choose to price it sensibly the way he is doing with the 2024 SS Sailor.

This. People can try and if they like it, they can decide to shell out even more and get the deluxe or sheikh edition. The thing with razors is, you can never be sure that you like the way a razor shaves. That makes me often hesitate.
Yeah I'm off buying new hardware for this reason. Until there's a way to try a razor before buying, I'm not really interested anymore. I bought a used Blackbird Ti because it's pretty much universally applauded, but that was my last purchase for a while and possibly will be indefinitely (although I do want to get a hold of a Lite plate for it; I'm holding out for a used one here too). Also there's nothing out there that's exciting or compelling anymore, so 🤷‍♂️.

As for software, I just have so much that I don't see the need to buy more of that either. I'm running out of space, and I'm not convinced I'll actually benefit from it compared to what I already have in stock. When a hobby just becomes buying stuff, it's not a hobby anymore, and that's where I am here.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm off buying new hardware for this reason. Until there's a way to try a razor before buying, I'm not really interested anymore. I bought a used Blackbird Ti because it was pretty much universally applauded, but that was my last purchase and possibly will be indefinitely (although I do want to get a hold of a Lite plate for it, I am holding out for a used one here too). Also there's nothing out there that's exciting or compelling anymore, so 🤷‍♂️.
Keep an eye out in the BST's for that plate and also for some forums having pass-arounds for newer razors released to the market...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yeah I'm off buying new hardware for this reason. Until there's a way to try a razor before buying, I'm not really interested anymore. I bought a used Blackbird Ti
Let me add something, if one lives in the CONUS, Blackland offers a 30 day return service. That's really good.

But for me, living in Europe, shipping and taxes still have to be paid, and returning a package to the US is something I never had to do and hopefully never have to do.

No worries regarding this other matter, someone might sooner or later tickle your fancy. If you find no fancy new razor, I usually switch to Trailrunning shoes or flashlights. 😁

Keep an eye out in the BST's for that plate and also for some forums having pass-arounds for newer razors released to the market...
Yeah I check every day now, I have missed 2 or 3 of them because I stopped visiting the forums as often as I used to. 😭

Let me add something, if one lives in the CONUS, Blackland offers a 30 day return service. That's really good.

But for me, living in Europe, shipping and taxes still have to be paid, and returning a package to the US is something I never had to do and hopefully never have to do.

No worries regarding this other matter, someone might sooner or later tickle your fancy. If you find no fancy new razor, I usually switch to Trailrunning shoes or flashlights. 😁
I have no shortage of stuff to spend on, it's just not shaving gear anymore. And yes, we have it pretty good over here with a lot of the artisan shaving suppliers being stateside.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
When a hobby just becomes buying stuff, it's not a hobby anymore
Wise words there. Like many I convinced myself I was some sort of 'collector', but the truth is I was simply shopping; dull, boring, shopping, no different from buying groceries. I would order another brush, razor, aftershave, or whatever before the previous one had even arrived in an endless self inflicted cycle of diminishing consumer satisfaction. It not only ceased to bring enjoyment, but actually began to cause sadness and anxiety, but not any more 👍

Yesterday on a different forum it was pointed out to me and when I checked the Rocnel site and clicked on "all products" there was a standard Sailor MC without polishing and gold ring and the list price on it is $1032.46US so an all Ti version of that one would probably be in the $1400-1500 range... Much better than what I posted earlier but still expensive!! I still think for most that said they wanted an all Ti version probably will pass on that though...

Top Bottom