What's new

Rockwell 6S Review

My review of the Rockwell 6S Razor Review​

I’ve been using this product for a few months now. I have used this product everyday, except for a few times for the last four months. It took me awhile to tune in how to best use the interchangeable base plates for my needs. However, with a lot of trial and error I can dial in any blade in any usable condition to get a nice smooth shave. A quick note, on the final use of any blade I use Plate R3 or lower for my underarms after finishing up my facial shave.​

1. Pros;
    1. High quality build out of SS
    2. Can dial in your shave with any blade for any part of the body
    3. Higher settings mow through the coarsest of whiskers
    4. Easy to clean and maintain
    5. Great knurling for a sure grip
    6. Great price for what you get (My opinion)
  2. Cons;
    1. You have tree base plates to keep up with
    2. It is a cast
      1. Not a polished look or perfectly smooth feel (still smooth)
    3. The instruction sheet is vague on which plate to use and when
    4. You must experiment to find the correct plate for the blade you are using
In conclusion I am very pleased with this purchase. I was coming from using a Van der Hagen TTO. The Rockwell 6S was a quantum leap ahead of my prior razor. The very first use of this product was on R4 with a brand new Concord blade. I have yet to look back to the Ven der Hagen TTO.

Just an observation. As I see more razors come out with more aggressive settings, I wouldn’t be surprised if Rockwell Razors don’t come out with after market plates with more aggressive settings. Such as an R7/R8 plate.

proxy.php

@SpannerX
I hear the 6C has a little nicer glide due to how it is made. Smooth like butter.
@Keto
Do not go by my purchasing habits. The Rockwell 6C would be a better deal for most people. If you have the money and won't miss it, go ahead a splurge, but please don't feel you have to get something just because. If you can borrow one before purchase, you might be better off. You know, drive before you buy type deal. For me it was worth the money. This is something I can hand down to my children or grandchildren. However, I am not you and I have no idea of your situation. So, with that said, if you can get one without guilt, it's a great piece of gear.

@BigD , that's good advice and I appreciate the thoughts. And I do have a shaving buddy that offered to send me his 6s to try out and I'll probably take you up on that offer one of these days before long. I was on that Rex Ambassador pass around tour and that was excellent to get to check something out even for a few shaves.
I do keep reading that the 6c is smoother in some ways

Concerning the R7 or R8 plate, I think they would have to totally redesign the razor. Perhaps change the top cap to provide a smoother but still more efficient shave at the higher numbers. I think the blade angle would be wrong.

I think the plates are based on gap. If you wanted you could add a spacer to plate 6 to create your own R7 but I don't think you would be happy. IMO, the 6s is at its design limits with plate 4 or 5 being the most comfortably aggressive. I know ppl like R6.

I shaved by accident on plate 2 with a good two days growth. No issues so it is quite efficient. Just my opinions.

Concerning the R7 or R8 plate, I think they would have to totally redesign the razor. Perhaps change the top cap to provide a smoother but still more efficient shave at the higher numbers. I think the blade angle would be wrong.

I think the plates are based on gap. If you wanted you could add a spacer to plate 6 to create your own R7 but I don't think you would be happy. IMO, the 6s is at its design limits with plate 4 or 5 being the most comfortably aggressive. I know ppl like R6.

I shaved by accident on plate 2 with a good two days growth. No issues so it is quite efficient. Just my opinions.

I totally agree with your post. What I was trying to get at is I wouldn't be surprised if they did considering the current market landscape of more and more aggressive razors. I have yet to need more than the R4, but the R6 does come in handy.

For my facial hair, I find the R3, R2, and R1 just about useless. However, for the finer hairs elsewhere on the body, they work just fine. It's nice to know you can shave a more sensitive area without much worry. (Read: Armpits)

I just bought one which is arriving on Monday, can't wait!
FYI, you can get a brand new one from razoremporium for $84 with their %15 off coupon code (sign up for their newsletter to receive these).

Just a correction it is not a cast like the modern day zamak razors or the VDH TTO you own. It is injection molding down to the very threads which make it extremely accurate with high tolerances. Unlike cast zamak razors - you will not see the razor threading go bad as it is SS and neither will the tolerances be compromised over time due to the wear and tear of cast molds.

These links below says it all. Hence the MIM technology used should be their biggest PRO for making so much of a metal stainless steel precision razor at this price point.

KS Update #28 - Replacement MIM Rockwell 6S - Entirely for Free

KS Update #25 - Here's What's Next
Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like mine as well, good advice as to using the different plates depending on how many shaves the blade has on it. What I did was to put the two extra bases on different handles (I bought an extra two head caps).
Good review!

Well I had a buddy on me his 6s Rockwell. To me that's a very smooth razor and forgiving. So now I'm going to sell I'll do some trading with another razor I have fund a Rockwell 6s.

IMO, the 6s is at its design limits with plate 4 or 5 being the most comfortably aggressive. I know ppl like R6.

I agree. To me, R6 doesn’t feel like an “aggressive” razor. It feels like a shimmed mid-aggressiveness razor.

If I want something more aggressive than R4, I reach for a different razor or use a sharper blade.

R3/R4 seem like the sweet spot on the Rockwell.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review, I completely missed it. I hear quite a lot about Rockwell Razors but I have not tried any yet.

I'm on day 3 with my new Rockwell 6s and really enjoying it. I'm diggin' plates 3 and 4; don't really get much out of 2, and 1 is pointless imho. 3 is the most comfortable but doesn't get me a BBS. Long term I expect to be a plate 4 guy.

The big adjustment I'm in the process of making is that the 6s is sooooo smooth that there's very little aural feedback or blade feel. You just have to sorta trust that it's doing its job. It doesn't scream like my Variant does - "You are still cutting hairs!" or "You are now done shaving."

Top Bottom