What's new

Rockwell 6S Review

@ajkel64
Rockwell Razors seem to me like the F-Series of Trucks. Great truck for a great price. Not a sports car, but does what it needs to do.
@Tostig
I think the lower plates are for finer hairs that aren't found on a man's face. Maybe elsewhere for the ladies?
@McNutt
R5 and R6 are my go to plates for most of my shave. Do the R4 for the \TG. I never fully go against the grain. I don't think my face could handle that.

I have been able to go ATG even with plate six. But it requires a slow hand with zero pressure. If I take my time I can get amazing shaves with 5 or 6 plates.

I started with the higher plates on the Rockwell, and could never quite get a satisfactory shave on R3, despite liking its smoothness and how forgiving it was.

But after six months of using it on and off, I’ve somehow managed to refine my technique enough to get a perfectly smooth result on R3.

It required throwing out everything I’d learnt about shaving, using a bit of pressure and longer strokes, but I can now get a great shave in record time with minimal effort and no irritation.

It’s boringly consistent. But with the dry winter weather starting to set in here in Australia, a quick, gentle, reliable, irritation-free shave of a cold winter morning is exactly what I want.

I just make sure I grab a different razor of a weekend, to exercise some “proper” technique, and make sure I’m not lulled into complacency.

I experimented with the more aggressive R5 and R6, but I apparently need to work on my technique a little more. I find a Feather to work beautifully on R4 plate, but still a slight irritation. (my fault again, I'm sure) but a great shave nonetheless. I then tried a Kai blade with the R3 plate,,,and BINGO...a nice smooth, close shave (so far). So now I have a good idea of what to experiment with for awhile, and commit to technique improvement. I like this razor...ALOT!!

I love my Rockwell 6S and plate 4 is my usual starting point with a blade. Up or down as needed, but not below 3 with anything yet. I agree it's like a good Toyota; it get's you where your going with no flash and will outlast most of the modern razors on the market without breaking the bank. I like is so much I bought one for my son as a graduation present and expect he will be able to hand it down to his kid when the time comes. I have owned a fair amount of vintage and modern razors, but the Rockwell is my go to DE.

This morning I screwed on my cajones and tried R5 (with Polsilver). Whoa. R5 does offer feedback that R4 does not, and takes this razor in a new direction I really like. It's still a boringly incredible shave that didn't give me a single nick or red spot and barely requires good technique (or any technique), but now I can feel and hear the blade like I want to. And on R5 it's true bbs. I think R4 gave me "bbs-like".

I’ve been settled into R4 w/ Feather for my daily shave but this R5 talk has me intrigued. I may give it a go tomorrow morning. Either way, I haven’t touched my other razors since the 6S arrived over a year ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've been toying with the idea of selling my beloved 6c to upgrade to the 6s. Does anyone have both and is the stainless worth it?

I have to admit that I'm liking the idea of a razor that will look non worse for wear 20 years from now.

I’ve been settled into R4 w/ Feather for my daily shave but this R5 talk has me intrigued. I may give it a go tomorrow morning. Either way, I haven’t touched my other razors since the 6S arrived over a year ago!

Go for it! I was reluctant to try R5, but glad I did, and I doubt I will ever go below 5 on the Rockwell again. On R3 and R4, I was liking the smooth shave but kinda missing the aural and tactile feedback from my Variant. I mean, the 6s is soooooooooo quiet and smooth and just gets the job done without fuss, but ... I like a little fuss! I want to hear and feel those hairs getting cut! On R5 you get some of that. Not nearly as much as a Variant, but some. Which is good! I know some people like and value the sensation of not even feeling the blade, but I like to feel and hear myself shaving when I shave.

PS I got no more irritation with R5 than with R3 or R4, and no nicks or weepers, either, and I went balls to the wall with ATG on my neck. In for a penny, in for a pound, as they say. I would say there was less irritation than R4 because there was a hell of a lot less touch-up work after the ATG pass. Both R5 and R4 are better than R3 for me, for that same reason. R3 seems to require a fair amount of touch up. R5 = almost none (still a little, though - might have to try R6 one of these days).

I read reviews on Amazon about the 6s rusting and staining easily is that true can you leave a blade in it a week or ten days without worrying? Is it best to buy it from Amazon or Rockwell themselves thanks guys.

I read reviews on Amazon about the 6s rusting and staining easily is that true can you leave a blade in it a week or ten days without worrying? Is it best to buy it from Amazon or Rockwell themselves thanks guys.

I bought it on Amazon. Much cheaper there! No problems.

For some reason I'm not getting a great shave with my lightly used 6S. Tried R3-R6. New feather blade. New Nacet blade. Changed up angle and pressure. No luck. Only used it 5-6 times but always the same poor shave, leaving stubble after 3 passes. I'm thinking of leaving it alone for a bit then trying it again. Maybe get rid of it if it still doesn't work for me. I'd like to get someone to try it but don't know anyone who DE shaves!

For some reason I'm not getting a great shave with my lightly used 6S. Tried R3-R6. New feather blade. New Nacet blade. Changed up angle and pressure. No luck. Only used it 5-6 times but always the same poor shave, leaving stubble after 3 passes. I'm thinking of leaving it alone for a bit then trying it again. Maybe get rid of it if it still doesn't work for me. I'd like to get someone to try it but don't know anyone who DE shaves!
Online shaving buds are nice for our kind, like minded, about shaving

I've isolated when the "rusting" or "staining" happens - and it's no big deal. If you shave, and several days pass afterwards, certain blades can rust as a result; that can cause staining. This staining never happens if you use your blade daily.

However, if you leave a wet blade in your 6S for several days (and this isn't with every blade), you might end up with stain marks in the blade compartment. The blade is rusting. A decent metal polish like Flitz can get rid the stain.

I've isolated when the "rusting" or "staining" happens - and it's no big deal. If you shave, and several days pass afterwards, certain blades can rust as a result; that can cause staining. This staining never happens if you use your blade daily.

However, if you leave a wet blade in your 6S for several days (and this isn't with every blade), you might end up with stain marks in the blade compartment. The blade is rusting. A decent metal polish like Flitz can get rid the stain.
Thanks you for the clarification and the peace of mind.

You've done a good job troubleshooting the issue so far. You're right to expect a good shave with a Feather or Nacet.

If you're getting stubble after three passes, this usually means inadequate prep. Make sure your beard is thoroughly soft before shaving. (Cartridge users can start shaving after a few seconds, but with a DE razor, the prep time is around three minutes.)

Top Bottom