What's new

Robert Williams Heirloom Razor

My initials are MVW (perfectly jagged to qualify as a stand-in for jimps) -- a monogram I share with my son, who was born six months ago. I began working on this razor with Robert quite some time ago -- in fact, as soon as I knew my son was on his way, as the quintessential heirloom to pass down to someone I hadn't even met yet -- and who was still years away from his first shave. My wife is longing for the day when he takes his first step. Sure, I am too. But right now I'm just gearing up for that day when I say, "Son, it's time I taught you how to shave..."

Enough about my son. Let's talk about this razor.

This heirloom razor is a full 8/8 quarter hollow shoulderless grind in HCS. Inlaid with an 18K gold narhwal, high relief engraving of initials as jimps and bright engraving of original scrollwork on the spine. It is a modified Spanish Point with a slight smiling blade and 2.75" cutting edge. Scales are constructed from the horn of a narwhal.

The raw material Robert had to work with is extremely difficult: raw, rough, deeply porous. Only when you can see and feel this roughness can you begin to appreciate how much work went into preparing these scales to such a deeply beautiful polish, without losing the importance of those whorls.

And take a look at the hand-etching that is required before he could apply the gold. This is some detailed work here. The gold narwhal engraving even has shading. Also note the close-up of the scrollwork on the spine.

Now about the test spin... The one time I've ever had a shave anything like this was the first time I used my 7/8 Robert Williams razor in Hippo Ivory scales. The blade is big and heavy, but the chopper is balanced expertly with the scale materials. Combined, he has obtained an overall shave that is so warm to the touch and solid that every other razor I've ever used truly pales in comparison.

There's this quality in shaving with this razor that I can only describe as a magnetic attraction between blade and face. Some people like smaller blades, feeling they allow better maneuvering. But like an old American-built tank of a car made of steel, not plastic, there is an adhesion to the road that just radiates security and solidity. It's such a grounded shave, which is a trip when you consider the esoteric scale materials and all the fine engraving work. This razor grips my face and doesn't let go until nothing is left but smoothness and the memory of another great shave.

Thank you, Robert, from me -- and -- one day, from my son, the other MVW, the one to whom this one-of-a-kind heirloom already belongs.

Cheers,
Mark

That's a great way to begin such a personal tradition. I know the feeling on keeping your razors to pass down, both my boys stare at the display cases all the time.

Enjoy!

Narwhal horn? Seriously? Like really truly Narwhal horn?

That is so, incredibly, awesome. Narwhals are the weirdest, coolest animals ever.

Want to adopt another son? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Really though, that is a great looking straight and I'm sure your son and maybe even your son's son will enjoy shaving with. It is very unique razor, and just the thought of a heirloom is very cool. :thumbup1:

Mark, I've seen this razor as a post on SRP and I have to say it is one of the most beautiful razors I have had the pleasure of drooling over. The blade geometry is stunning as is the beautiful material you provided for scales. This is truly a work of art and thank you for sharing the story of how it is also an heirloom piece. Congratulations and happy shaving! :)

absolutely stunning!
I'm sure you and your son will cherish it for decades to come.
Hat's off to Robert for such a wonderful creation.

cheers!

The story, the razor, everything is just so right :thumbup:
Congratulations, to you, your son & RW, a real master craftsman!

His razors will take your breath away when you first use them. He has a way of making such quality blades. Very nice razor you have there, simply beautiful.

Take Care,
Richard

I spoke with Robert pretty frequently through the process of making this razor. It was a very stressful project (due to the materials used)... the sense of relief when it was successfully finished must have been overwhelming.

What a gorgeous piece. Enjoy it:thumbup1:

Stunning and great tradition!!! I need to get somwthing similar for my boy too now....he's only 5 months old!

One question.....why a narwhal?

this kind of makes me sad that I don't have a boy to pass on things like this.. I only have 2 wonderful little girls...

great razor.. truly outstanding

this kind of makes me sad that I don't have a boy to pass on things like this.. I only have 2 wonderful little girls...

great razor.. truly outstanding

Only? Dude, be grateful- you have two kids to pass it on to! Last I checked, lots of girls grow up to be women who shave too.

Only? Dude, be grateful- you have two kids to pass it on to! Last I checked, lots of girls grow up to be women who shave too.

Perhaps, but i see few now who shave with a straight, i just assume by the time they are old enough to shave the latest will be a 5 laser disposable.

Breathtaking. Seriously. I live simply. But something like this makes me want to pursue riches so I can afford beautiful things. Seriously, this is high art.

That is a stunning razor, and a beautiful story. I saw this razor on his website a couple of weeks ago, and it compelled me to place a deposit for my own Williams! Very beautifully done.

Who caught the narwhal? :lol:

Seriously, what a fantastic family heirloom you've had created. I can see that being passed down through many generations of your family. Good on you for having the vision (and bank balance) to get such a unique piece made.

Very nice looking razor. It has some really balanced profile lines. I see that Robert bought himself an engraving machine and looks like he's going to get some good use out of it. I also like to see the talent he has when pieces like this come up.

Top Bottom