What's new

Roasted Rack of Lamb for Easter!! :-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
:chef:Dear Culinarians:
Want to 'wow' your guests for Easter this year? 🐇

Serve Roasted Rack of Lamb. 🐑

By Rachel Perlmutter - the kitchin - Mar 23, 2024

"When I’m feeding a crowd, I usually look for a large piece of meat to serve as the centerpiece, like a roasted chicken, braised pork shoulder, and roasted beef. The thing is, all of those take a decent amount of time to cook, and I live in an apartment with one kinda-small oven. That’s why I love to serve a rack of lamb.

This recipe is easy, delicious, and looks fancy, but without all the effort. Rub a marinade of herbs, garlic, and Dijon mustard on two racks of lamb and let them hang out at room temperature for an hour or overnight in the fridge (this is the opportunity to prep any accompanying dishes). Then, slide the lamb into a hot oven and roast to a perfectly juicy and tender medium-rare. The presentation is so fun and celebratory that it’ll make any dinner feel extra special.

Why You’ll Love It​

• Unlike other large proteins, tender roasted racks of lamb cook to a perfect medium-rare in just 25 minutes.
  • A simple rosemary and Dijon mustard rub brings a lot of flavor and creates a delicious crispy herb crust. It tastes fancy but takes no effort.

Key Ingredients in Rack of Lamb​

• Lamb: Two (2-pound) racks of lamb will feed 6 to 8 people, which is a nice portion of meat per person.
  • Rosemary. Use fresh rosemary in the rub for a stronger flavor.
  • Garlic. Add six cloves of grated garlic to the rub for a robust, garlicky flavor.
  • Mustard. Dijon mustard adds flavor and acts as a base for the lamb rub.
  • Flaky salt. Although optional, a sprinkle of flaky sea salt on the carved lamb adds delicious pops of flavor.
overhead shot of cut pieces of lamb on a white platter.

This Is the Best Rack of Lamb You'll Ever Make (Cooks in Less Than 30 Minutes!) - https://www.thekitchn.com/roasted-rack-of-lamb-recipe-23641312#pinit

How to Make Rack of Lamb​

1. Marinate the lamb. Make a paste with grated garlic, fresh rosemary, Dijon, salt, and pepper, then rub it all over the lamb. Set out at room temperature for an hour.
  2. Cook the lamb. Arrange the lamb with the ribs pointing down. Cook for 15 minutes at 450ºF, then flip over and cook for another 10 minutes until the lamb has an internal temperature of 130ºF.
  3. Rest the lamb. Set lamb on a cutting board for at least 10 minutes to rest before carving. This gives the juice time to redistribute.
  4. Slice and serve. Cut between the rib bones into individual lamb chops.

Helpful Swaps​

• Swap fresh rosemary for another herb like thyme or parsley.
  • Use whole grain mustard instead of Dijon.
  • Add red pepper flakes to the rub for a little extra heat.

Storage and Make-Ahead Tips​

• The lamb can be marinated, covered, and refrigerated for up to 12 hours before roasting. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before roasting.
  • Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

Do You Need to French the Lamb Racks?​

No, but let me explain. A frenched rack of lamb means the fat cap and meat between each rib bone have been removed. This is almost entirely for presentation — those little lamb chop lollipops make for a dramatic presentation. Plus, it’s a bit easier to carve.
The fat cap on an unfrenched rack of lamb has a lot of delicious fat that will render off, which can be used later to roast veggies or potatoes. One downside to frenching is that it does remove some meat for aesthetic reasons. You can always add those bits to a stir-fry or soup to avoid waste.

How to French a Rack of Lamb​

If you do want frenched racks of lamb, you can ask the butcher to do it for you, or do it yourself. Here’s how to french a rack of lamb at home.

How Long to Cook Rack of Lamb
Lamb is traditionally cooked to medium-rare, which keeps the meat tender and juicy. A digital thermometer is key to cooking lamb (or any cut of meat) to the right temperature. Although racks of lamb are large, they aren’t very thick. Two-pound racks of lamb should cook through in about 25 minutes in a 450ºF oven.

Because the lamb will continue cooking for a few minutes after it’s removed from the oven, I recommend roasting the rack of lamb until the internal temperature reaches 130ºF, then pull it out and let it sit to redistribute the juices before slicing.

New Zealand vs. American Lamb
American lamb tends to be larger and slightly fattier than Australian or New Zealand lamb. This means that, per pound, you will likely get fewer individual lamb chops from an American lamb (although the exact number will always vary). You may even need to add about 5 extra minutes to your roasting time if they’re really sizable.

One more key difference is their diet. While all lamb is grass-fed, American lamb is typically finished on grain, which can make it taste milder and less gamey than imported lamb.

What to Serve with Rack of Lamb​

Read More: Roasted Rack of Lamb Recipe

proxy.php
“My wife and I use a lot of garlic and rosemary with roast [rack of] lamb.[...]". Alfred Molina

Last edited:
I cooked lamb for dinner yesterday (Thursday). I made a marinate of with a whole ton of rosemary from our bush, nearly a whole head of garlic our friends grew, lemon juice and zest, and some olive oil and salt, blended together in the food processor. Lamb shoulder, cooked for 3-4 hours at 175c, covered for 3/4 of the time. Lovely and tender, served with potatoes, parsnip, peas and gravy.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I got a leg of lamb for Easter. Lamb, asparagus, and rice pilaf are our standard Easter dinner. There will be wine. Dessert is a Madagascar vanilla cake with fresh strawberry icing from Suzy Cakes, my favorite bakery for decadent cakes.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Edit: Susie, not Suzy. I just picked it up. Now to exercise about thirty hours of restraint.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I cooked lamb for dinner yesterday (Thursday). I made a marinate of with a whole ton of rosemary from our bush, nearly a whole head of garlic our friends grew, lemon juice and zest, and some olive oil and salt, blended together in the food processor. Lamb shoulder, cooked for 3-4 hours at 175c, covered for 3/4 of the time. Lovely and tender, served with potatoes, parsnip, peas and gravy.
I still want my Koala Choccy. 😆

Years ago I had a hardback copy of The Nero Wolfe Cookbook. His recipe for leg of lamb used a small jar of Dijon mustard, some smashed and chopped cloves of garlic and some EVOO to make a thick paste that was slathered over the leg and allowed to marinate before roasting it. I made it at least once and it was very, very good.

Top Bottom