What's new

Rite Aid = Ted Pella Injector Blades

FYI - I just got my order of Ted Pella stainless injector blades in. They are EXACTLY the same as the Rite Aid branded blades. Same case, same patent numbers, etc... If you order in quantity, the Ted Pella/EMS blades are are better deal at $4-5 per pack opposed to $7 for Rite Aid blades. Shipping from Ted Pella for 4 packs of blades via signed Fed Ex was $4.73.

Really,
I found the Rite Aid injector was so poorly made it would not even line up properly to allow the blade to enter the razor. After a lot of fiddling the blades ended up in the trash. The Schick's from China line up perfectly. My razor is perfect, like new.

Len

That's interesting, I have some of the Rite-aid blades and was going to order some of the Ted Pella blades...now I wonder if I should.:confused:

AFAIK, the Rite Aid injectors are made by American Safety Razor like the Ted Pella and EMS blades. Most likely, the blades and injector mechanism are identical.

-Clarke

I don't know anything about these blades, but are you sure the pat. number is for the blade and not the case?

I don't know anything about these blades, but are you sure the pat. number is for the blade and not the case?

That I don't know. The case is exactly the same and listed multiple patent numbers which all matched as well. I don't know if that covers the blade inside the case or not. But I loaded one of the Ted Pella ordered blades up this morning and could discern no difference in the shave between the Rite Aid blade and Pella blade in my short Injector experience.

R

rainman

FYI - I just got my order of Ted Pella stainless injector blades in. They are EXACTLY the same as the Rite Aid branded blades. Same case, same patent numbers, etc... If you order in quantity, the Ted Pella/EMS blades are are better deal at $4-5 per pack opposed to $7 for Rite Aid blades. Shipping from Ted Pella for 4 packs of blades via signed Fed Ex was $4.73.

I figured that they were all the same.

Really,
I found the Rite Aid injector was so poorly made it would not even line up properly to allow the blade to enter the razor. After a lot of fiddling the blades ended up in the trash. The Schick's from China line up perfectly. My razor is perfect, like new.

Len

I've read on here others say the ted pella dispenser has issues like you say - but you can just take the blades out and load them into another empty dispenser.
It's not that hard to load them - you just push down the spring mechanism in the injector dispenser with a screwdriver, and guide the blade in.. and then once it is in you just use the screwdriver to line the blade up with the wholes on the other blades.

If it is worth doing is up to you, but the blades are nice and they are much cheaper.

Best I can tell, those patent numbers are for the dispenser. I see the same three patent numbers on three different brands of injector blades that I have. Here's the patent data: 3,848,770 is for the blade dispenser with used blade vault, 3,857,270 is for a method of bending the metal parts on top of the dispenser, and Des 231,670 is another one for the design of the dispenser.

So, we're back to the drawing board as to whether or not the blades inside these dispensers are made in the same plant using the same process. I've read that some find the generic drugstore blades to be horrible and others can't tell the difference. I have a pack from Fred's that I think I picked up for $2 that I have yet to try, but I sure like the ones I have from Ted Pella.

~Jeff

Methinks I read somewhere on these boards that the Pellas might have some type of coating not found on all drug store sold injector blades, but I might be propagating rumor here. But I agree that the patent numbers on the injector might be just referring to the injector, and it is possible the injector is the same but the blades inside are different.

I will happily be corrected by someone with more info on this topic!:smile:

R

rainman

Methinks I read somewhere on these boards that the Pellas might have some type of coating not found on all drug store sold injector blades, but I might be propagating rumor here. But I agree that the patent numbers on the injector might be just referring to the injector, and it is possible the injector is the same but the blades inside are different.

I will happily be corrected by someone with more info on this topic!:smile:

I heard that the single edge cvs brand blades at CVS are the carbon ones and the Gem by Personna at Wallgreens are stainless. Wait is this off topic?

I heard that the single edge cvs brand blades at CVS are the carbon ones and the Gem by Personna at Wallgreens are stainless. Wait is this off topic?

That is a helpful post to this thread in my book. Which is better in your opinion?

V

VR6ofpain

I like the Longs branded ASR injector blades. They are coated and very sharp.

I had been told in this thread that carbon only injector blades are "uncoated blades they'll have the same sort of edge as a paint scraper, you wouldn't want to shave with them. " Is that true - as if so I don't think that CVS would be selling them?

If anyone else is interested, Rick Sparks is selling packs of 5 and 10 of the Ted Pella SE PTFE coated blades on the BST right now. Says he ordered 200 (the standard minimum order from Ted Pella) and only needs 50. I'm going to get some from Rick so I can see for myself how they compare. I didn't want to order 200. And I don't have any personal interest in Rick's transaction, just wanted to share the info.

:cool:

I had been told in this thread that carbon only injector blades are "uncoated blades they'll have the same sort of edge as a paint scraper, you wouldn't want to shave with them. " Is that true - as if so I don't think that CVS would be selling them?

I think that one guy was talking about Single Edge Blades, and not Injector blades.

Top Bottom