What's new

132 Blades - Gillette Sputnik a middling blade I actually like.

After a few days where I didn't shave, I ran a tech across my face in a WTG shave, waited about 12 hours and started with the Sputnik. The blade rated a 7.73 which is basically exactly middle of the pack so far. It gave me 6 DFS shaves, with the first shave close enough to a BBS that I think, over time and with familiarity, would have been better. The pros are a sharp smooth blade that fives a consistent DFS shave, front to back. I can definitely respect that. The con was a little blood (9 weepers in shaves) but I strongly feel that this number would come down to 0 - 2 if I had a tuck and spent some time with the brand. Would it become a top tier blade for me? No, in the rankings it is now #24. In looking at just the first 4 shaves, it moves DOWN to #29 in the pecking order. Could I be CONTENT with this blade? A resounding YES.

1698519814114.png

Cool Beans, so many blades, so little time..
I am so glad I have 4 blades ( long time players) that work for me and my razors.
Most I toss ( recycle) after 3 shaves.
Blades are so personal but I think it is fantastic how melodically you are doing this.
Just make sure you keep you variables down.
Meaning everything else used stays the same ( hardware /software/full process).

Have Fun Doing it, keep improving the skills & you will getting the right blade (s) for you, razor and use/job/condition.
It is a critical foundation for a great shaves!
BFX

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
After a few days where I didn't shave, I ran a tech across my face in a WTG shave, waited about 12 hours and started with the Sputnik. The blade rated a 7.73 which is basically exactly middle of the pack so far. It gave me 6 DFS shaves, with the first shave close enough to a BBS that I think, over time and with familiarity, would have been better. The pros are a sharp smooth blade that fives a consistent DFS shave, front to back. I can definitely respect that. The con was a little blood (9 weepers in shaves) but I strongly feel that this number would come down to 0 - 2 if I had a tuck and spent some time with the brand. Would it become a top tier blade for me? No, in the rankings it is now #24. In looking at just the first 4 shaves, it moves DOWN to #29 in the pecking order. Could I be CONTENT with this blade? A resounding YES.

View attachment 1739811
Great report, the new Gillette spec Sputnik blades are great like you mentioned & are made in Saint Petersburg . I bought a few tucks when I was testing them my self and a few of the older Sputniks that I was hoping would work better in my new Yaqi Sentinel Razor so I could use a different angle for shaving (Steep) or riding the bar. The 4 post alignment on the this type of razor alignment system and the older Sputnik blades work well but are not as sharp as the new Gillette (P&G) Sputniks I concluded. The older Sputnik blades are wider also.
The new Sputnik blades use that excellent Saint Petersburg quality razor steel that seems to last longer or stay sharper longer than other steel blade manufactures use IMO.
Thought you might find this info interesting for your Sputnik blade thread.
(Old archived photo's of new Sputnik VS older Sputnik blades, the older blades where made by a different company that was sold to P&G.) (Click on photo to enlarge)
New VS Old packing of the Sputnik blades! 2.jpg
Old Sputnik VS New Sputnik blades.#2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I never can find Sputniks or I would have tried a tuck or two. Still on my list but I have so many blades right now, including some other Russian brands (Ladas) that I guess it won't kill me if I have to wait awhile.

Great report, the new Gillette spec Sputnik blades are great like you mentioned & are made in Saint Petersburg . I bought a few tucks when I was testing them my self and a few of the older Sputniks that I was hoping would work better in my new Yaqi Sentinel Razor so I could use a different angle for shaving (Steep) or riding the bar. The 4 post alignment on the this type of razor alignment system and the older Sputnik blades work well but are not as sharp as the new Gillette (P&G) Sputniks I concluded. The older Sputnik blades are wider also.
The new Sputnik blades use that excellent Saint Petersburg quality razor steel that seems to last longer or stay sharper longer than other steel blade manufactures use IMO.
Thought you might find this info interesting for your Sputnik blade thread.
(Old archived photo's of new Sputnik VS older Sputnik blades, the older blades where made by a different company that was sold to P&G.) (Click on photo to enlarge)
View attachment 1739907 View attachment 1739905
Have some great shaves!

Both the blades in that pic are made in St. Petersburg by PPI/Gillette, the tuck on the right says "ZAO Petersburg Products Int." and the address of the PPI factory. The newer packaging with laser etching and updated packaging (with blade icon) for PPI blades occured around 5 years ago.

PPI/Gillette also used to produce Sputnik Super Platinum:
1698698179066.png

1698698260296.png

Gillette entered into the PPI joint venture in 1990. Sputnik is indeed an old USSR brand:
1698698636352.png

1698698093272.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom