What's new

Rice..

Jasmine. Rinse it, put in a pot of cold water (2 water: 1 rice) and bring it to a boil with a bit of salt. Boil for five minutes then turn off heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins. Sometimes I add a few cloves, a few anise stars, or a few cardamom pods to give it some fragrance.

We mostly use Thai jasmine rice, bought at H-mart in 50 lb bags. There's a huge difference in fragrance between cheap jasmine rice and expensive stuff. Always use a rice cooker, for the convenience... Our 20 year old National (Panasonic) rice cooker died recently and we replaced it with a Zojirushi. It is pretty nice, not sure the difference in price was really justified though.

Jasmine rice, usually, in my cheapo rice cooker, which works like a champ. Sometimes basmati rice, also in the cooker; rarely risotto, as I am too lazy for the real deal; I do sometimes throw an imported Italian risotto mix right into the rice cooker. It's not risotto by any means, but it's damned tasty.

This is our rice stash at the moment. We use a rice cooker.
8C74245B-0D24-4110-AB86-07554BBA6826.jpeg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thai Jasmine here. Buy from our local asian market in 20 lbs. bags. @flynshave is spot on. Fresh good quality Jasmine rice is so worth it.

I don't have a rice cooker, I cook mine the old fashioned way on the stove top. I rinse the rice. 2:1 watter:rice, pinch of salt, bring to a boil then gently simmer for 15min. Let rest off heat, covered, for another 15 minutes.

I like all kinds of rice but high quality Japanese white rice is on another level. The difference between a good
sushi experience and an amazing sushi experience is more about the rice and the rice/vinegar mixture than
the fish. In Tokyo, they all get their fish from the same fish market.

Always buy the best rice you can find.

Last year we got a clay rice cooker from Japan. It's handmade and all fired clay. It has been a revelation. I never knew rice could be so good! It's brings out the absolute best flavor imaginable. I literally can't stop eating it!

Wash the rice very well. Until the water is clear or nearly.

Soak the rice for 20 minutes if white rice. Drain and put it in the clay cooker. For each cup of rice add a cup and a hair more of water.

A little salt if desired. Or Bonito flakes if you have any. Quality Mirin, maybe a tablespoon or two per cup of rice.

Put it all on the GAS stove on very low heat. The clay must warm gradually. After 10 or 15 minutes slowly raise the heat but ultimately never more than medium-low.

Watch it and after a few puffs of steam escape let it boil for 3 or 4 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let it steam for at least 20 minutes.

Don't ever under any circumstances ever lift the lid! And don't do this in an electric stove! It'll explode the clay. Only use gentle gas!

After 20 minutes of sitting there gently fluff the rice.

Then hang on to your hat! And bring an empty stomach because you're going to devour the entire pot in one sitting!

Rice doesn't get any better than this! It literally blows people's minds.

For Brown rice soak it in water for 7 hours. Then bring to gentle boil as above. Then let it boil for about 17 minutes. Then turn off heat and let it steam itself for 30 minutes at least.

This works in a cast iron or enameled Dutch oven too!

A miracle! Thank me later.

Instant Pot.
Get the bleep outa here! I'm not buying high end razors from a guy that uses an instant pot for rice! :p

This made me laugh actually because we had such a struggle with that thing before we finally figured out how to use it and not ruin food. The fact that it made perfect rice ticked us off since we can already make perfect rice in a pot. For the longest time we were determined not to just have a rice cooker on the counter and after so much trial and error, we figured out how to finesse it.

Instant pot... Sheesh....

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Usually brown short grain, 2 1/2 water to 1 rice for 45-50 minutes. Also jasmine for Spanish rice or plain rice, sometimes with a little saffron. Arborio for risotto. Uncooked instant to clean the espresso grinder and coffee grinder. Trying to eat less rice due to arsenic concerns. We use a lot more barley.

Get the bleep outa here! I'm not buying high end razors from a guy that uses an instant pot for rice! :p

This made me laugh actually because we had such a struggle with that thing before we finally figured out how to use it and not ruin food. The fact that it made perfect rice ticked us off since we can already make perfect rice in a pot. For the longest time we were determined not to just have a rice cooker on the counter and after so much trial and error, we figured out how to finesse it.

Instant pot... Sheesh....
Also, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm totally buying razors from Shane. I almost felt bad buying one off the BST once!

Top Bottom